Halloumi Cheese Saganaki

Recipe-For-Cheese-Saganaki

Fried cheese. It almost sounds too much, but your mouth can’t help but water. And perhaps I’m doing Cheese Saganaki a disservice by reducing it to such simplicity. But that’s what cheese saganaki is; a simple Greek dish, prepared quickly and eaten even faster.

Here I’ve called it halloumi cheese saganaki, but it’s a dish that can be made with any of a number of cheeses. Graviera, kefalograviera, kasseri, kefalotyri or even feta cheese will do the trick. Halloumi, however, is by far the most common of these – excepting feta – and has a texture that lends itself well to pan frying.

How-To-Make-Cheese-Saganaki

Interestingly – and I’ve only just learned this – saganaki is Greek for ‘little frying pan’ and is a term used to describe a plethora of Greek dishes cooked in just such an implement. Cute, I’m sure you’ll agree.

As with my traditional Greek salad recipe, I was compelled to make cheese saganaki after watching Rick Stein’s latest programme.

His recipe is a little more complex, using semolina and sesame seeds. But it is delicious simply coated in plain flour before cooking and topped with a generous dollop of honey and scattering of dried oregano. The sweet honey contrasts the saltiness of the cheese wonderfully. What a dish.

Halloumi Cheese Saganaki

Serves 3-4

• 200g halloumi cheese, thickly sliced
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • ½ tsp dried oregano

1. Slice your block of cheese into rounds of around 1cm in thickness. Coat in plain flour.
  2. Bring the olive oil up to temperature over a medium flame in a non-stick frying pan.
  3. Gently fry each side of the prepared halloumi until golden brown and crispy.
  4. Set aside to drain on a paper towel, before serving with a generous dollop of honey and a little dried oregano.

Cheese-Saganaki-Recipe Halloumi-Saganaki-Recipe

Cost: Clearly, cheese saganaki isn’t a dish you’d have alone. However, being so simple means it can easily be included as part of a frugal meal. It works wonders beside a Greek salad. And for only £1.75.

20 comments on “Halloumi Cheese Saganaki

1. Zen A.
    September 30, 2015 at 11:04 am

Being Lebanese, Halloumi is my absolute favourite cheese. I have got to try this ASAP – looks absolutely delicious!

2. aromanature
    September 30, 2015 at 11:08 am

Was planning on making fried Halloumi tonight so THANKS ! I wouldn’t have thought of the honey thing…. I make a mean bulgur salad to go with it 🙂

3. Paul Withers
    September 30, 2015 at 11:47 am

You’re using a lot too much oil here, and the Greeks generally sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs (including a high percentage of mint). A wonderful starter for an English-type meal. Yummy. Essential to dip cheese into water before the flour.
    PW

November 1, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I disagree about the oil and water. Clearly it isn’t essential to dip the cheese into water; halloumi is naturally quite a wet cheese. I also believe that toppings very depending on region, so I’d shy away from making generalisations regarding additional flavourings.

4. skd
    September 30, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I love cheese and this recipe is delicious 🙂

September 30, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I’m really enjoying the Rock Stein programmes – and I love your fried halloumi! Just back in Spain and we are over run with oregan, so yesterday I cut it all back, picked it over and am now drying it in the sun 🙂

November 1, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I lays enjoy his programmes/books! That sounds delicious.

6. Dine There Eat That
    September 30, 2015 at 4:55 pm

We just had greek last Friday, I wish I knew to look for it on the menu. But your recipe looks easy enough, I will have to try it! I haven’t had this cheese. What would you compare it to, taste wise?

November 1, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Very easy! It’s quite salty, not really comparable. Give it a try, its delicious.

7. Cathy
    September 30, 2015 at 5:15 pm

This sound good, Nick, I will have to try your saganaki. I usually use Kefalotyri with lemon and oregano

8. cateinthekitchen
    October 1, 2015 at 1:06 am

Oh dear GOD. I usually just fry mine straight up, I’ll have to try this it sounds next level.

9. canalcook
    October 1, 2015 at 8:53 pm

This looks wonderful!

10. Lindsay
    October 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm

In Cyprus I love fried Haloumi and Lounza (thinly cut cured pork), but back home I make it with back bacon, great for weekend breakfast. Loving Rick Stein’s latest journey too!

11. Corina
    October 5, 2015 at 11:53 am

I love fried halloumi but haven’t done it like this before. Usually I just dry fry it but next time I’ll try and remember this method. It make a great easy Saturday lunch with a pita bread and a bit of salad.

November 1, 2015 at 5:53 pm