Pear and Almond Cake

Pear and Almond Cake Recipe

Though not currently in season, I was surprised to find a box of beautiful English pears being sold at my local grocer. On the look out for cake ingredients, I dutifully filled my basket with this succulent, juicy fruit – perhaps my favourite – and retreated to the kitchen to bake my Pear and Almond Cake.

Pear and almond cake is a real no-brainer. Both headline ingredients help to create such a wonderfully textured cake, developing a moisture that you couldn’t in your wildest dreams achieve in a regular sponge. There’s little need to be delicate; even over-baking the cake wouldn’t be terminal.

How to Make Pear and Almond Cake

But the almond and pear combination doesn’t just make for a cake that’s a pleasure to eat; the flavour is also tricky to parallel. If you were to ask me about my favourite cake ingredients, almonds would be right up there. Perhaps at the top. Their subtle nuttiness – forget almond extract – elevates any bake above most others.

Almond Cake Recipe

Perhaps the one aspect of a pear and almond cake that requires a little thought is the preparation of the fruit. The caramel is simple enough to make, but you need to be sure that the flame isn’t burning too hot. Burnt caramel isn’t pleasant. Remember, you’re looking for a dark golden brown colour. Any darker and your cake could turn out a little bitter.

How to Make Almond Cake

If you were in any doubt of the versatility and sheer joy of almonds in baking, hopefully this cake has changed your mind. If not, my recipes for Chocolate Prune Cake and Raspberry, Orange and Almond Traybake might do the trick.

Pear and Almond Cake

Makes one 23cm cake

• 3 pears, peeled and quartered
  • 200g butter
  • 125g caster sugar + 1 tbsp
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 80g ground almonds
  • 2 tbsp flaked almonds
  • icing or caster sugar to dust

1. Melt 25g of butter in a frying pan, adding 1 tbsp of sugar. Continually shake the pan to create a golden brown caramel. Add the pear quarters and simmer for 5-10 minutes until browned. Set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven the 190C/170C(fan). Grease and line a 22cm springform pan.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the remaining butter and caster sugar. Thoroughly incorporate the eggs one by one, before folding in the flour and ground almonds.
  4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Arrange the pears in the top and spoon over a small amount of the surplus caramel and juice. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
  5. Once cooked, set the cake aside to cool. Meanwhile, gently toast your flaked almonds. Turn the cake out, sprinkle with the almonds and icing sugar, and serve.

Recipe for Pear and Almond Cake Pear Almond Cake Recipe

Cost: Pears aren’t expensive at any time of year, but do try to buy British (or local) if possible. Almonds are a little more costly, but not prohibitively so if you shop around a little. Indeed, all ingredients considered, this pear and almond cake recipe shouldn’t set you back more than £3.

36 comments on “Pear and Almond Cake

1. kutton
    May 27, 2015 at 11:12 am

I love almonds but have never thought to match with pears…will definitely have to try this out!!

June 11, 2015 at 1:09 pm

They work together beautifully.

• Em
      April 4, 2016 at 4:12 pm

A a very lovely cake thank you.

May 27, 2015 at 11:29 am

Beautiful – perfectly matched, delicious flavours.

3. Maya Oryan
    May 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Love it!!

4. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    May 27, 2015 at 2:08 pm

This is just the kind of cake I love best. Delicious!

June 11, 2015 at 11:12 am

Thank you – me too, rustic and beautifully flavoured!

5. pauldelancey
    May 27, 2015 at 5:18 pm

yum

6. Michelle
    May 27, 2015 at 9:19 pm

What a lovely cake. And, yeah, sometimes you’ve gotta just relax the in-season thing. Especially if beautiful fruit, already picked and delivered from wherever, is staring you in the face.

June 11, 2015 at 11:12 am

Definitely – though they were still British pears. I only buy British from my grocer, which helps to keep things mostly with the seasons.

7. Cathy
    May 28, 2015 at 3:10 am

this looks and sounds delicious, Nick! a must try!

June 11, 2015 at 11:11 am

Thank you, Cathy! I made a similar peach version recently – recipe to follow!

8. Gill
    May 28, 2015 at 9:48 am

I had decided to bake a sponge today, after seeing this recipe I think I’m going to do this instead 🙂

9. odelleasmith
    May 28, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Beautiful cake, how can you possibly resist making and eating it with all those delicious ingredients.
    Ground & faked almonds, pears, butter, there’s no comparison in the taste & texture by using the ‘true’ ingredients as opposed to almond essence resulting in a delicious cake like this.
    Perfect!
    Love it, making this as soon as I get some good pears, today hopefully, can’t wait!
    Until then, I’ll make your ‘Raspberry & Almond tray-bake’ & ‘Mince Pie Cake’ which are tried, tasted & are gorgeous.
    Great post, pics & site, many thanks Nick on another superb recipe
    Made ‘Tempura Cauliflower’ & Prawns, delicious.
    Until next time, thank you, Odelle Smith. (U.K.)

June 11, 2015 at 11:11 am

Yes, let’s do away with almond essence! Glad you’re making so many of my recipes – let me know how you find everything :).

10. Conor Bofin
    May 29, 2015 at 7:52 pm

They have me! I’m looking at pear and almond cake on your blog while being gently prodded by advertising for Evans Cycles suggesting some great discounts on Castelli tops and shorts. That’s pretty perfect remarketing.
    Nice cake BTW!

June 11, 2015 at 11:10 am

Haha – looks like you’ve been perusing too many cycling websites. Thanks, Conor. Actually, I just bought a new bike :D.

• Conor Bofin
        June 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

What dod you get? A friend of mine just had his new carbon Giant crack under him. (He is 18 stone.) Not happy.

• Admin
          June 11, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Happily, I’m no longer 18 stone. Got the Boardman Air 9.2. Bit pricey, but wanted to invest in good carbon and components.

• Conor Bofin
            June 11, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Love it. She’s a fine bike. I am firmly of the mind that spend on bike stuff is money very well spent. I get so much fun, satisfaction and sheer joy from cycling, the money is undoubtedly investment in self. It’s hard to avoid feeling guilty, all the same.

• Admin
            June 11, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I was feeling a bit guilty. But it’s on 0% finance, not too much per month and we’ll still be able to a buy house easily. No dipping into the savings! This bike is supposed to be properly fast too.

• Conor Bofin
            June 11, 2015 at 1:53 pm

The only problem I ever have with the bike is the engine. It’s not as high tech as the rest of it.

• Admin
            June 11, 2015 at 1:54 pm

That’s why I’m investing 😉 – my cheapish aluminium was holding me back!

11. DellaCucinaPovera
    June 1, 2015 at 7:26 am

This cake is a total dream – why is it that almond slivers always make cakes look so rustic and wonderful and and and??
    well done, sir. Pinned!

June 11, 2015 at 11:04 am

Thank you! Pin away! Perhaps it’s because we know they’re so utterly delicious.

12. Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    June 3, 2015 at 1:04 am

Nick, as soon as pear season rolls around, I’ll be making this cake! It would go splendidly with a cup of tea (my criteria for everything!).

June 11, 2015 at 11:03 am

Please do. I just stumbled across these British pears and couldn’t help myself.

13. Tasha
    December 3, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thank you for this delicious recipe! What sublime flavour! I love how the pears saturate the cake with their juice – as a side note, did you have liquid pooling on the bottom of the oven? I haven’t made many fruit cakes (although i intend to from now on!) but am going to suppose this isn’t such a rare occurrence due to the nature of the ingredients?
    Tasha

December 15, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Thank you! That’s quite strange – perhaps your pears were extra juicy? They shouldn’t be too ripe or I can definitely see this happening.

14. Justin
    June 8, 2016 at 7:08 am

Just made this. I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 extra egg because I only have 50 gram (small sized) eggs at the moment.
    Absolutely awesome! So moist and not too sweet. I had a slice when it was still warm with vanilla ice cream and a cup of tea. Made my afternoon. I will definitely try with raspberries & quince next time.
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

15. plasterers bristol
    July 8, 2016 at 7:21 am

love this cake recipe. One of may favorites. Delcious.

Simon

16. Elaine cardno
    January 17, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I tried this and loved it. ❤️