Broccoli and Pea Soup

Broccoli and Pea Soup Recipe (3)

As much as I enjoy tenderstem and purple sprouting broccoli, I find the average – usually plastic encased – variety often a bit of a let down. Perhaps this feeling is a hangover from those over-steamed florets of anaemic broccoli popped on the side of your plate as a child, never to be eaten. Things needn’t be this way; it doesn’t matter what state you find your brassicas in, simply chop them up and throw them in my Broccoli and Pea soup.

Bacon would, of course, be a great addition to this recipe. However, when trying to keep things vegetarian and relatively healthy, a handful or two of garden peas cast into the pot just before blending does wonders for a broccoli soup. Peas have an earthy freshness about them, which really comes across no matter where they are used. Of course, garden peas also bring a really appealing sweetness, perfect for the weather at this time of year.

Broccoli and Pea Soup Recipe (2)

Soup is a fantastic way of making the most of broccoli. There’s simply no need not to use the whole vegetable, thick stalk and all. Remember, waste is more or less unnecessary most of the time. Save those odds and ends and that little bit of leftover broccoli and you could be tucking in to a delicious bowl of broccoli and pea soup in a day or two.

Broccoli and Pea Soup

Serves 4

• 1 large head of broccoli, roughly chopped

• 2 onions, roughly chopped

• 1.5 litres vegetable stock

• 30g butter

• 1 tbsp olive oil

• a few sprigs of thyme

• 2 bay leaves

• 100g garden peas

• 1 tin of chickpeas or equivalent dried

• black pepper

1. Melt the butter and oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions. Tip in the chunks of broccoli, followed by the stock, thyme and bay leaves. Cook until the broccoli is tender.

2. Remove the thyme and bay leaves from the pot. Tip in the peas and chickpeas and blend until smooth. Bring back up to temperature, season to taste and serve with a side of homemade bread.

Broccoli and Pea Soup Recipe (4) Broccoli and Pea Soup Recipe (1)

Cost: Ingredients like broccoli, peas and vegetable stock are very cost-effective indeed. So much so that this recipe should set you back no more than £2.20.

21 comments on “Broccoli and Pea Soup

1. Jenny @ BAKE
    January 27, 2014 at 10:14 pm

This soup looks absolutely delicious, I love the sound of a fresh broccoli soup without the rich heaviness of stilton with which it is usually paired.

January 29, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thank you! I’m not a huge fan of stilton and the combination has been done a lot…

2. Eha
    January 28, 2014 at 3:02 am

Thank you for making it so simple! I have eaten broccoli multiple times a week, both steamed and stirfried, for decades yet do not remember making soup out of the deliciously wonderful vegetable! Peas do not generate an awful amount of interest in me, pods naturally excluded, but shall try it in this form – methinks more than once :) !

January 29, 2014 at 9:05 am

Simplicity is where it’s at! Peas don’t get me going much either, but they are wonderful in soup!

3. Patricia
    January 28, 2014 at 10:12 am

That sounds scrumptious – I think I know what to make for dinner this weekend!
    Oh and I tried your courgette fritters yesterday with a sourcream/garlic/lemon sauce affair and that was delicious – thank you!

January 29, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thank you, Patricia! I adored those fritters, one of my faves I think.

4. Misky
    January 28, 2014 at 10:59 am

Lunch! Thank you. :)

5. veghotpot
    January 28, 2014 at 11:26 am

DELISH!! I love a good soup, especially with broccoli in it mmm, thanks for sharing :)

6. movita beaucoup
    January 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I adore soups like this! Tasty, fresh, restorative…

7. Lazy Suzan
    January 28, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Um, I totally realize it’s 7:50 a.m. here, but I want this right now. Breakfast Broccoli Soup? Very beautifully photographed. I’ve never thrown peas into my broccoli soup but I will give it a try next time! Thanks for sharing.

January 29, 2014 at 9:04 am

Why not?! Its delicious at any time of day! Thank you very much – my pleasure.

8. Laurie
    February 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Great thought. This would be perfect for lunch on a snowy day such as today!

9. Laurie
    February 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm

If only we could share the snow! I’ve got this soup on the stove right now!

10. Ruth
    February 10, 2014 at 1:34 am

This is absolutely perfect! I’ve got two crowns of broccoli I need to use pronto. With another round of cold and snow coming my way, a bowl of hot soup is going to be amazing.

February 10, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Thank you, Ruth! I’d like some snow – it’s jut loads of rain here at the moment…