Sunflower Seed Flapjacks

Sunflower Seed Flapjacks Recipe (3)

Though healthier than your average slice of cake, most flapjacks (also known as granola bars for any Americans out there) still contain a hefty amount of butter and sugar. This sometimes feels a little devious, since we seem to inextricably link oats with being almost obnoxiously healthy. Though you’ll not remain svelt on four slices of these Sunflower Seed Flapjacks per day, it is a recipe that contains half the fat and considerably less sugar than my previous flapjack recipes.

My chocolate and hazelnut flapjack recipe, for instance, contains a somewhat indulgent 200g of butter and more refined sugar than you could shake a cane at (resulting in damn fine granola bars, I must say). Whereas, these wondrously flavoursome sunflower seed flapjacks eschew much of the melt-in-your-mouth decadence and overriding sweetness of such devilish ingredients. As such, you really get to savour the nuttiness of the seeds (which also contain a handy amount of protein) and the almost caramel quality of the finely chopped fruit.

Sunflower Seed Flapjacks Recipe (4)

Of course, these flapjacks may not fit in as a showpiece bake, used to show off at a party or to friends. However, as a delicious every day snack – perfect for those New Year fads – they really take the biscuit.

Sunflower Seed Flapjacks

Makes 15-20 bars

• 300g jumbo oats

• 100g butter

• 3 tbsp golden syrup

• 2 tbsp set honey

• 25g dried cranberries

• 25g golden raisins

• 50g raisins

• 50g sultanas

• 150g sunflower seeds

• a pinch of salt

1. Grease and line a square cake tin roughly 30cmx30cm and preheat the oven to 170C. Gently melt together the butter, syrup and honey.

2. Meanwhile, very finely chop the dried fruit in a food processor until it starts to ball. Add the fruit to the pan and stir until fully incorporated.

3. Add the oats, seeds and salt to the pan and mix until uniform. Press the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside to cool before cutting into 15-20 slices.

Sunflower Seed Flapjacks Recipe (2) Sunflower Seed Flapjacks Recipe (1)

Cost: Though ingredients like dried cranberries, golden raisins and sunflower seeds may sound a little on the expensive side, they can be bought relatively cheaply if you shop around a little. Indeed, the dried fruit in particular is often found as part of a fruit mix, which is a perfectly acceptable ingredient. As such, these sunflower seed flapjacks should set you back no more than around £3.50.

28 comments on “Sunflower Seed Flapjacks

1. taplatt
    January 9, 2014 at 6:38 pm

These look great! I am always looking for granola bars/flapjacks that aren’t too sweet or buttery. Where do you usually find the cheapest nuts and dried fruit? I’ve found that Tesco prices are decent.

January 12, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Aldi have fantastic nuts/dried fruits for VERY cheap and they are top quality. Check it out.

• taplatt
        January 13, 2014 at 9:27 am

Good to know, thanks!

January 13, 2014 at 9:30 am

My pleasure – also, the self-raising flour is very light and only 45p (I think). Really good stuff in my experience.

2. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    January 9, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I do love those unhealthy, butter and sugar-laden homemade granola bars, but I also love a more healthy version. At least I can eat them with less guilt!

January 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

oth types are delicious, they just have to be done well!

3. Ming
    January 10, 2014 at 12:32 am

thanks for the lovely recipe…would sure be trying it out soon.
    May i know what is “set honey” in the recipe?
    Can it be replaced with regular honey?
    Thanks.

January 12, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Yes, normal honey would be fine. Set honey is, well, set honey. I can’t be more descriptive :D

4. christinajane
    January 10, 2014 at 2:06 am

Stoked to see golden syrup in a recipe! It’s been so long. I wish Canada would import the stuff – whether from UK or from New Zealand – I can’t find it anywhere. How is a flapjack different to a granola bar? I’ve never had a flapjack per se, but love the idea of packing granola bars with seeds like these (looks like a few poppy seeds on top?).

January 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

We eat it all the time over here. Aren’t there any specialist stores?! you could use maple syrup. They aren’t really different, we just call them flapjacks here! I guess a granola bar over here would be crunchy…

5. myfangalicious
    January 10, 2014 at 7:19 am

amazing! i’m totally going to try this now

6. veghotpot
    January 10, 2014 at 10:26 am

Can’t wait to try these! Printed the recipe now :) love sunflower seeds!

January 12, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Enjoy! We’ve been enjoying them immensely.

7. cookingwithoutlimits
    January 14, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Hi there! I love reading your blog and have nominated you for the Dragon’s Loyalty Award. Participation is, of course, optional and rules can be found here: http://cookingwithoutlimits.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/dragons-loyalty-award/

8. aumcchildren
    January 17, 2014 at 9:38 pm

What is golden syrup? Can I use Maple and still get the same consistency in the bars?

January 20, 2014 at 10:16 am

I’m sure it would be fine – maple is a little more runny than golden syrup though. Golden syrup is used mainly in Britain, you may be able to find it in specialist shops though.

9. David
    January 25, 2014 at 10:24 am

I tried making these last night, and the mixture hasn’t really stuck together. Still, I now have a batch of truly delicious granola for my porridge!

I didn’t quite follow the recipe- I didn’t process the fruit, is it possible this provide extra binding?

Next time I will maybe use a little more golden syrup. I wouldn’t recommend making this using maple syrup as I don’t think it would be sticky enough.

January 25, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Well, yes – the fruit provides an essential part of the binding process. When you process the fruit it becomes extremely sticky as a result of its natural sugars. At least your granola is fantastic, but I’d suggest sticking to the recipe ;).

• taplatt
        March 8, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I had the same problem David did with the bars not sticking together enough to become bars… I one-and-a-halved the recipe but kept all the ratios the same. Any ideas? It certainly did turn into delicious granola, but I was disappointed not to have portable bars come out.

March 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

That’s strange – it stuck really well for me. Are you blending the fruit really thoroughly?

• taplatt
            March 10, 2014 at 9:30 am

I did blend the fruit quite thoroughly — until it balled up, as you recommended. I thought that next time I could try blending part of the oats into almost a powder, in the hopes that the smaller particles will help everything stick better.

March 10, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Are you using full tablespoons of the syrup and honey? The flapjacks also need to be packed very firmly.

• taplatt
            March 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Yes, I think I used full tablespoons and tried to pack firmly. Well, I’ll try them again at some point and in the meantime they made delicious granola!

• Admin
            March 10, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Well at least it was delicious! I’m sorry it didn’t work though – I just find it strange. I guess some ingredients react differently from time to time?!

• taplatt
            March 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm

That’s probably true — not your fault! Still a big fan of your recipes.

• Admin
            March 10, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Phew! Please keep coming back :D, they usually always work!