It’s that time of year again; pumpkin has burst unabatedly onto the culinary scene to become, for one month only, more popular than even chocolate is. There are sweet pumpkin pies, bowls of pumpkin soup and loaves of pumpkin bread aplenty, but here you’ll find something a little alternative. I give you my recipe for a thoroughly savoury and utterly delicious Pumpkin and Chorizo Pie.
In terms of texture, pies can often be very bland; a bit of a flat, mushy landscape. The consistency of baked pumpkin, for instance, is largely similar to that of mash. As such, it’s important to incorporate a firmer, meatier element – enter chorizo! Large chunks of spicy sausage succeed in adding variety to a pie that may otherwise prove a little on the soft side. Happily, the paprika based chorizo also combines with the sweet autumn fruit to excellent effect, giving rise to a diverse and delicious filling.
Pumpkin and Chorizo Pie
• 1 2kg pumpkin, in small chunks (skin removed)
• 1 chorizo sausage (60-70g), in small chunks
• 2 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
• 1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
• 20g parmesan, grated (optional)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Coat your chunks of pumpkin in oil and a pinch of salt. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 180C, until soft and a little golden. Meanwhile, boil your potatoes until soft enough to mash.
2. Mash together the potato and a quarter of the roasted pumpkin. Fry the remaining pumpkin with the chorizo and garlic until the meat is a little crispy.
3. Take a suitably sized oven-proof dish (roughly 15cm in diameter), tip in the contents of the frying pan and cover liberally with the pumpkin mash. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve immediately.
Cost: Well, this is certainly the correct season for pumpkin and if you shop around you can pick up a decently-sized fruit for around £1. Chorizo isn’t too expensive either at around £1.50/100g. All in all, this pie (or pies) should set you back no more than around £1.70.
Connect with me, share my recipes:
Reader Rating: 0 Votes