Specifically gluten-free fare isn’t something dabbled in particularly often at frugalfeeding. The fact these brownies contain no gluten is simply a product of my desire for the squidgy, dense and moist – enjoy.
Gluten has many positive attributes; not least the structure it brings to everything it touches. However, brownies aren’t in need of structure beyond what the protein in egg brings them. Of course, average brownies have their place in the world, but flour tends to engender cake-like characteristics. Fundamentally, brownies need to feel decadent and unctuous and a lack of gluten goes some way to achieving that.
Be warned, these gluten-free brownies are exceptionally dark and bitter. If this isn’t quite your thing you could use a less-dark chocolate or even omit the cocoa powder. Using milk chocolate would even work, though it’d be a good idea to lower the quantity of butter slightly if opting to do so.
• 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
• 75g butter
• 130g caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder
• 2 tbsp ground almonds
• 1-2 handfuls of raisins (optional)
• A pinch of salt
1. Begin by lining the sides of a suitably sized square cake tin. The one we used was roughly 10”x7”. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a saucepan, make sure to use a fairly low heat and stir constantly. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, until smooth. Tip in the cocoa powder, ground almonds and raisins and stir until as smooth as possible.
3. Bake for 15-25 minutes until the centre of the brownies is just set. Turn out after 10 minutes then leave to cool completely before slicing and eating.
Cost: The entire batch of gluten-free brownies should come to no more than £2.30. What a fantastic price – very thrifty indeed.
Connect with me, share my recipes:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
Reader Rating: 2 Votes