Salmorejo

Salmorejo

A simple and “creamy” rendition of gazpacho, salmorejo is in my experience a glimpse of traditional Spanish cuisine perfect for the country’s climate. In the scorching summer months, during the afternoons of which not even the locals venture outside, this cold soup is enjoyed morning, noon and night – as a refreshing start to the day, or light evening starter.

Being a simple dish, salmorejo demands good quality ingredients. Two ingredients define salmorejo; tomatoes and olive oil – do not skimp on either. Indeed, it’s difficult to exaggerate this recipe’s need for good quality tomatoes – make sure you sniff them before buying!

Salmorejo

Whether a tomato is good or not has very little to do with colour – if it lacks a strong, fresh scent it is not worth your money. Remember, the skin of a tomato is as vital to its flavour as that flesh that it holds prisoner; when sliced, the skin of a tomato reacts in some way with its flesh, developing flavour. If the skin of a tomato isn’t up to scratch, you can be sure the flesh within will be insipid.

This soup is best enjoyed on an extremely hot day, served on the closest available outdoor table/lap alongside an ice cold pint of cerveza. Mahou would do the job nicely… if you can find it!

Salmorejo

Serves 4

• 4-5 large tomatoes (500g)

• 100g stale white bread

• 1 clove of garlic

• 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

• Salt

• Pepper

• A little cucumber, finely cubed

1. Slice a cross into the bottom of each tomato and place in a bowl of very hot water. After 2 minutes transfer the fruit to a bowl of ice cold water and remove the skin. Roughly chop the tomatoes, removing their ‘cores’ in the process.

Salmorejo

2. Place the fruit in a food processor and quickly pulse for 5-10 seconds. Add the bread and leave to soak for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and blend until completely smooth. Serve in a bowl with a little sliced cucumber or boiled egg on top.

Salmorejo

Cost: At this time of year the price of tomatoes tends to drop as the fruit comes into season. And while this dish uses good quality olive oil, it’s price is relatively low at around £2 for four servings.

33 comments on “Salmorejo

1. bitsandbreadcrumbs
    August 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm

What a beautiful and refreshing looking soup…and one I hadn’t seen before.

2. Amanda
    August 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I absolutely love this dish. I made my own version after visiting Cordoba and I just fell in love with it. So refreshing. Good job.

3. Grace @ Cultural Life
    August 7, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Wow, this looks good! I love gazpacho but I hadn’t heard of salmorejo before I read your post. I agree with you on sniffing tomatoes before you buy them! Proper tomatoes have such an amazing scent and supermarket ones don’t even come close to that.

4. Mary K. Doyle
    August 7, 2013 at 8:13 pm

This looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you.

August 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

August 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Gorgeous – this is my favourite gazpacho. In our village they don’t use cucumber but add in a little red pepper and serve with chopped hard boiled egg and finely chopped jamon. Love your version and totally agree about the tomatoes :)

August 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Yes! Going on my vacation menu for next week!

8. taplatt
    August 8, 2013 at 1:35 am

This looks so simple, fresh, and wonderfully delicious.

9. Ivy K.
    August 8, 2013 at 5:16 am

I just made some of this for my lunch tomorrow. I’m looking forward to trying the other recipes on here, because this is delicious <3
    (I didn't have any stale bread on hand, so I used croutons instead. It worked out really well. Mmmm c: )

10. kshap
    August 8, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Yes! This was one of my absolute favourite things to eat when I was living in Southern Spain — your recipe looks delicious! Buen provecho:)

11. Sofia
    August 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

This is so superb! Thanks I was looking out for your post after yesterdays announcement and it looks gorgeous, I really like salmorejo.

12. magefesausa
    August 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Simple and delicious Spanish recipe…great!

13. plummymummy
    August 8, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Lovely colour. Haven’t had cold soup for many a year. May have to try it if I can get some decent tomatoes at the farmers market

14. angelica | table twenty eight
    August 9, 2013 at 4:04 am

While I’m not a fan of hot tomato soup, there’s nothing like a bowl of cold, refreshing gazpacho on a hot day. The drizzle of some good quality olive oil makes for a wonderful comination. In fact, I’ve even seen it served with frozen olive oil ‘ice blocks’ bobbing on top…

August 9, 2013 at 4:27 am

So true! If the tomatoes aren’t good, wait until you can get good ones! Thankfully we are entering tomato season here. This goes on the end-of-summer list of things to make. Thanks, Nick!

16. thelittleloaf
    August 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

I love simple, unadulterated gazpacho but I adore salmorejo as well – I had one in Madrid once so thick you could practically stand a fork up in it. So full of oil and veg and deliciousness. Yum.

17. pattyabr
    August 14, 2013 at 4:27 am

interesting recipe

18. Claire
    August 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Beautiful! So glad you reminded me of this soup before summer. Keep up the good work mate!

19. charlieedmunds
    August 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Thank you! I had this in Seville last year and I had forgotten the name!

20. plain_speaker
    August 26, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Delicious! Just had this for dinner at the end of a hot, hot Bank Holiday afternoon! So simple, yet incredible flavour – and faithful to the original that we first discovered and enjoyed on holiday in Andalusia (Cordoba, to be precise) a few years ago. We actually found some tomatillos at our local market yesterday – having never seen them before – and we decided, on impulse, to buy some at £5 a kilo, and add them to the soup. They added a lovely acidic edge to an otherwise creamy dish.