Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjacks

Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjack recipe

The exploration of new food combinations is all well and good, but finding new applications for old pairings can be equally exciting – after all, they are old and well-used for a reason. As I expect we all know, it is eminently possible to unite chocolate and hazelnuts to devastating effect and this flapjack recipe, in my opinion, certainly does so, taking their relationship to stratospheric levels. However, be warned, no quarter is given to healthy eating here – these are full-fat and flavourful. I direct those of you looking for something a little easier on the waistline to this recipe for chewy granola bars.

Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjack recipe

Hazelnuts suit chocolate down to the ground, perhaps more than any other nut – they are soul mates. Happily, their flavours and textures meld perfectly both within and without flapjacks. The taste and feel of jumbo oats proved to be a most suitable platform for the combination under consideration, with each individual ingredient permitted to shine. Indeed, the success of this recipe can be fully attributed to complete harmonisation – feel free to seek confirmation of this with my taste buds.

How to make flapjacks

Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjacks {recipe}

Makes 18-22 bites

• 400g jumbo oats

• 200g butter, preferably salted

• 100g granulated sugar

• 50g light brown sugar

• 4 tbsp golden syrup

• 80g hazelnuts, very roughly chopped

• 50g dark chocolate

1. Grease and line a square cake tin roughly 30cmx30cm and preheat the oven to 170C. Melt together the butter, sugars and syrup in a pan. Place the oats in a large mixing bowl and tip in the melted mixture. Tip in the hazelnuts and combine with vigour. Press firmly into tin.

Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjack recipe

2. Bake the flapjacks for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and caramelised. Set aside to cool completely before cutting into 18-22 bites. Melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water and drizzle over the top. Enjoy!

Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjack recipe

Cost: Oats are incredibly cheap and particularly filling, making these an impressively frugal treat. Indeed, all things considered, this entire batch of delicious chocolate covered hazelnut flapjacks should set one back no more than around £3.60. Trust me, they will go far!

98 comments on “Chocolate and Hazelnut Flapjacks

1. lovinghomemade
    January 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm

They look delicious! Will be giving these a go soon

2. Randy Goldberg (@DrGaellon)
    January 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Are these a sort of granola bar? Here in the US, “flapjack” is an alternate name for pancake or griddle cake, which this clearly is not.

January 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Yes! So people keep telling me – in the UK these are called flapjacks 😀

3. creationsbycathy
    January 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

life is short…enjoy!! :) right…?

4. Our Growing Paynes
    January 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Ok this is interesting. In the US flapjacks are pancakes. So now I’m wondering the history of two different foods having the same name.

5. Karista
    January 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Awww… I just had breakfast but now I want these flapjacks. :) Looks decadent!

6. bitsofnice
    January 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm

They look amazing! Thanks for sharing, I am dying to some one now!

7. narf77
    January 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Just a quick note to “Our Growing Paynes”…EVERYTHING came from the U.K. first… the U.S. and Australia are both colonies…the U.S. chose to call everything “something else” to distance itself from the U.K. when it left the commonwealth and went solo (not always to it’s advantage I might add 😉 ) so THAT is why your “flapjacks” are different…the U.K. had them first…get used to it…we have! ;)…now…what was I going to say?…
    “Good Frugal…have a pat on the head…”. I needed this recipe. It was cruel and inhumane for you to wave it under our noses last week on Facebook…now it has arrived and is less a humble “flapjack” and more like something to be savoured and held aloft with pride at a W.I. meeting “look what “I” made darlings … So SORRY I can’t share the recipe…it’s a family secret and if I told you, I would have to kill you :)”…MAN this looks good! Steve is completely in love with slices and tray bakes at the moment and I am having a hard time keeping up with his endless munching. I think that this recipe might give him something humble, healthy (ish) and luxurious all at the same time. Well done Frugal sir! Your job here is done :)

January 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm

You are, of course, quite right! Glad you like them so 😀 – I expected they’d go down rather well. You could sub oil for the butter! That seems to work well. Healthyish, indeed!

8. fortyjarsfull
    January 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm

soooo making those with my angels this week :)

9. pattyabr
    January 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I made a recipe with hazelnuts earlier this month and found the hazelnuts to be the most challenging part of the recipe. Your flapjack looks like a granola coffee cake. When I think of flapjacks I think of a pancake.

10. claireligioso
    January 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I think I’ve found my work snack for next week – these look great!

11. Conor Bofin
    January 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Lovely. This looks perfectly cooked. Something I fail to do despite at least six unbloggable attempts. Must try harder!

January 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Oh it was, Conor – nice and caramelised. Do try harder 😀

January 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Wow, this looks fantastic. Love chocolate and hazelnuts!

13. Mollie Walker Freeman
    January 26, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I enjoy the cultural education I get from reading your recipes! In my experience, “flapjack” has only ever meant a pancake. Yours look quite a lot more decadent than any pancake! But, I wish you wouldn’t apologize at all for the fat. Butter, hazelnuts, & chocolate all contain what we like to point out are healthy fats. (See Weston A. Price on the web, for a good defense of such things.) It’s the sugar that adds to the waistline. However, I’d help myself to one of these goodies once in a while, just to enjoy the flavors, which, as you say, are “soulmates.”

January 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Glad you have enjoyed :D. The word flapjack will have meant what I have made here originally. Healthy fats, yes, but not healthy in such quantity, of course!

14. The Healthy Flavor
    January 26, 2013 at 9:53 pm

These look gooey, yummy and tasty!!

15. Chocolate Chilli Mango®
    January 26, 2013 at 10:04 pm

These are fantastic! I would add more hazelnuts and chocolate though .. it’s my favourite :)

January 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm

The hazelnut flavour came through VERY well… more chocolate, that’s up to you 😀

• Chocolate Chilli Mango®
        January 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm

haha I can never resist the temptation to throw in more chocolate…I think it’s tattooed on my DNA :)

Great recipe…I love it when someone takes something ordinary and makes it extraordinary with choc and hazelnuts!!! I shared it on my FB page, it’s fantastic.

January 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Haha! Thank you very much! Wish more people would share my stuff on FB 😀

• Chocolate Chilli Mango®
            January 27, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I’ve shared your stuff on FB a number of times! Love your blog….hmmmm taking action! 😀

February 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Great! Thanks! Continue!

16. Dish With Clarissa
    January 26, 2013 at 10:28 pm

These look so delish, thank you for sharing will have to make these one day!

17. moveeatcreate
    January 26, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I can’t even express how delicious this looks! Oh my.

18. mamagwen
    January 26, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Looks yummy! :)

19. Rebecca
    January 27, 2013 at 12:27 am

So interesting—in my corner of the world, a flapjack is another word for pancakes. Not what I was expecting!! But they sound delectable.

20. musingmar
    January 27, 2013 at 12:40 am

For days now your Twitter feed has been teasing me with a mental image of a tall stack of chocolate and hazelnut ‘flapjacks.’ I could even see the maple syrup and melting butter dripping off them, sensuously pooling on the plate. Imagine my confusion and surprise when I saw the first photo in this post. Once again the vast linguistic divide between us and the Mother Ship has tripped me up. Your flapjacks are not the divinely griddled cakes we also call pancakes, but instead these glorious looking squares. Regardless of their name, I’ll just call them mighty tempting.

I could study up on British food terminology, I suppose, but it’s far more fun to see where the next surprise will pop up. “Flapjack,” indeed!

January 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Haha – my Twitter has been alive with flapjacks today too :D. IT is interesting. Stay tuned for more :)

• musingmar
        January 27, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Oh, you’re just working those Americans up with your devilishly superior British vocabulary! Much like Switzerland, we Canadians are more or less neutral. Gotta say, I love the Anglicisms!

21. Joanna
    January 27, 2013 at 8:33 am

Lovely flapjacks Nick! And gorgeous photographs too !

22. ThatRobHall
    January 27, 2013 at 10:01 am

They look fantastic! Can’t wait to try them out!

23. Laurie J Ronan
    January 27, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hazelnuts are soooooo hard to find in SC,and I just love them. I fondly remember the hazelnut trees in Oregon when I lived there fora short while. Try hazelnuts with blackberries. Oh yum.

24. Amy
    January 27, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Yum! You are so right about hazelnuts and chocolate. The addition of oats, butter, sugar and syrup can only be a good thing. These will be made here soon! Thank you.

25. movita beaucoup
    January 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Thank you for putting many of my favourite ingredients into one convenient square for me.

26. Karla
    January 28, 2013 at 4:59 am

So I kept seeing you tweet about these and I finally got a chance to check them out and I definitely thought you were talking about pancakes haha!

These look fantastic! Question: what is golden syrup?

February 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Haha – Golden syrup is basically sugar… kinda like corn syrup but nicer.

27. Juls
    January 28, 2013 at 7:11 am

You’re getting bad for my Dress Diet. I need nothing more than a flapjack right now at seven in the morning.

• Juls
      January 28, 2013 at 7:14 am

That and a bag just like Katherine’s.

• Juls
        January 28, 2013 at 7:14 am

And maybe a kitten. And more butter and sugar and oaty things.

February 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I think I’ll just comment on one of these! You’re mad 😀 – Katherine’s bag is great though and kittens are cute.

28. thehungrylinguists
    January 28, 2013 at 11:39 am

These look delicious! They are definitely flapjacks!! I think we need to get more adventurous with sweet treats, they seem extremely popular! Your photos are always great!

29. thelittleloaf
    January 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm

My mum always used to put peanuts and sesame seeds in flapjacks when we were little so I always love them with added crunch. Hazelnuts sound perfect.

January 29, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I saw you posted these on facebook the other day and got distracted. Oh my. I have some shiny new coconut butter that needs to be put to good use. These look absolutely fabulous.

February 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Hehe – sorry! That would work well! Oil too.

• Somer
        February 4, 2013 at 8:24 pm

The coconut butter I bought tastes more like “real” butter than any vegan product I’ve tried yet. Swoon.

February 4, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Very nice! I just remembered you’re sending me something. Excited again!

• Somer
            February 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Oh I mailed it last week! :) It’s just a little thank you. I get 5 or so hits every day from your site just from being on your sidebar :)

February 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

That’s so sweet! I’d move you up, but I like alphabetical order!

• Somer
            February 4, 2013 at 8:47 pm

No worries, I like alphabetical order too :) Plus my little blog seems to be humming along nicely enough.

February 4, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I’ve taken a little hit from Google’s search engine update, but I’ve got 530 views from Pinterest today, so it balances out 😀

• Somer
            February 4, 2013 at 8:51 pm

That’s fantastic. I’ve noticed a slight decline as well. I thought it was because I’ve been too lazy to read other people’s blogs so they’re not reading mine… I get most of my hits from facebook, then pinterest and so forth.

February 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I’d started getting plenty from search engines, perhaps 300 a day, but it’s dropped to around 200 or so. Blogs were hit pretty bad across the board. I don’t get that many from Facebook, I don’t always have the patience to work on it 😀 – I’m doing more though. Most of mine are tastespotting, foodgawker, pinterest, search engines and regular readers.

• Somer
            February 4, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I need to branch out more. Do you post yours to tastespotting and foodgawker? I’ve noticed that the facebook readers almost never comment (unless they’re wordpress readers as well) I’m thinking of going solo, but I’d miss the cozy wordpress family.

February 4, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Tastespotting, Foodgawker, Photograzing, Kitchenartistry, HealthyAperture and theHotPlate. Am looking for more too. It’s good for link building. I will be going solo, when I have the time and a steady income… instead of no income.

• Somer
        February 4, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I might hop on board that train and start building links. I’m not doing anything right now. Seriously, some days I’m really excited about the blog. Other days I couldn’t give a rats butt whether or not it succeeds. Since we’re both all ready dot.com’s instead of dot.wordpress I don’t think it costs much to transfer the site over to self hosting….Food for thought.

February 4, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I’m usually always into it – I love it. Perhaps it’s because it’s what I want to do for a living! I know it’s not much, but finding a job also takes up time!

• Somer
            February 4, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Good on you. I think that you’re made for this kind of thing. Me, I’m a stay at home mom just messing around in the kitchen 😉

February 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Perhaps you’re right. You do a good job though, obviously!

• Somer
            February 4, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Thanks man :)

31. Daniel Etherington
    January 30, 2013 at 11:49 am

Must get some rolled oats! My mum used to make them with cocoa in the mix too and a full-on chocolate icing, but these look a bit healthier.

February 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I think that would take away from these – but I do have a recipe something like that.

32. katya kitchen
    January 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Wow looks fabulous!

33. Liz
    January 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Obsessed with the carmelization you have going on there…

34. nickburr
    February 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

These look amazing, definitely going to give them a go!

February 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Ever-so delightfully tempting and downright crikey! :)

March 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Not sure you’ve got a full grasp on the word crikey 😀

36. Wendy
    August 29, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Have made this twice now, really good result and so easy to do, am hooked and of course the fact that it is economic to make is a realy plus

37. odelleasmith
    January 9, 2015 at 10:00 am

Delicious, who can resist chocolate, hazelnuts, butter, golden syrup & oats to make them into flapjacks, that’s the healthy option lol.
    Mine will be extra chocolate, butter, syrup, double up on nuts, with pecans & add some caramel chestnuts for good measure, oh & oats. Loving these, many thanks, for great recipe again.
    Odelle Smith.