Almond Biscotti

Almond Biscotti Recipe

There are certain things in life that one considers to be truly delightful – they are different for us all. For me, a strong coffee coupled with a crunchy biscuit or flaky pastry, preferably of Italian extraction, is one such delight. However, since moving away from my favourite coffee shop in Aberystwyth, obtaining such a treat has proved a little trickier. Happily, almond biscotti, the traditional Italian biscuit, are jolly simple to make – so there are no excuses not to follow this frugal recipe!

Twice baked for longevity, the origins of biscotti lie in protracted journeys – though, like many great inventions, they have succeeded in transcending the boundaries of their original purpose. Indeed, it seems reasonable to state that biscotti (and not only the almond variety) have gripped the hearts and coffee habits of many the world over and it isn’t difficult to see, or rather to taste, why.

As any self-respecting coffee drinker will tell you, our caffeinated friend is at its heavenly best when avoiding the sweet. Of course, biscotti do contain sugar, but they remain a long chalk from the tooth-rotting standard set by the American cookie – a standard which has, reportedly, seen the Cookie Monster require a full set of dentures. Clearly, these Italians knew what they were doing – which will perhaps come as a surprise to some.

Almond Biscotti Recipe

Unfortunately, as delicious and healthy as they are, nuts can prove a little weighty on one’s financial burden if one isn’t careful. However, steps can be taken to ensure frugality! Indeed, to make the most of the contents of one’s wallet it is best to purchase almonds in their raw form (200g for £1.50). This also serves to improve their versatility, as it is possible to roast and blanch them on a whim. Check out the recipe below for instructions and do enjoy these delicious Italian biscuits.

For something a little more indulgent, why not check out my recipe for chocolate biscotti

Almond Biscotti {recipe}

Makes 14-16

• 100g plain flour

• 60g golden caster sugar

• ¼ tsp baking powder

• 1 medium egg

• 50g roasted almonds, roughly chopped

• 1 tbsp milk, preferably whole

• ½ tsp almond extract

• A pinch of salt

1. Simmer the almonds in a pan of hot water for no more than a minute. Strain them and pop the nuts out of their skins. Throw them into a baking tray and roast until golden brown at 180C. This should take 8-10 minutes.

Almond Biscotti Recipe

2. Sieve the plain flour into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder and salt – mix thoroughly, form a well in the middle. Whisk together the milk, egg and extract and pour into the well along with the almonds, roughly chopped. With a fork work this into a dough.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, it should be very sticky. Knead it a little and form into a ball. Place this onto a greased and lined baking tray and form into a log roughly 9 inches in length – pat down slightly. Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes, until hard and golden brown.

Almond Biscotti Recipe

4. Using a bread knife diagonally slice the log into sections roughly 1cm wide. Place them back on the baking tray and cook at 150C until hard and brown remembering to turn them half way through. This should take no more than 15 minutes. Leave them to cool a little before scoffing.

Almond Biscotti Recipe

Cost: We got a ridiculous deal on our almonds – 600g for £2 – but that really was an anomaly, so the price will reflect normal market conditions! Indeed, assuming you haven’t procured your almonds quite so frugally, following this recipe to fruition should set you back around £1 which still isn’t half bad! Enjoy them and make sure to brew a jolly strong-armed coffee!

99 comments on “Almond Biscotti

1. anbphoto
    January 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Looks yummy!

January 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Good job!

3. onceuponarecipe
    January 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Almonds are my favorite nut to bake with, and I always have a hefty supply of them in my freezer. Can’t wait to try this biscotti recipe – I’ve only made biscotti once before and it used pistachios and cranberries – very good too!

January 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Mine too, I think… Oh you have to try almond biscotti – it’s the way biscotti should be.

4. Susan
    January 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Very amusing post. Love the photographs.

5. Maya Oryan
    January 20, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I wanted to bake biscotti this week, I will try your recipe. BTW, I tried the moroccan meat balls and it was simply divine. Thank you:)

January 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Please do! I hope you enjoy them. Thanks! So glad you made them.

6. soffiagudrun
    January 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Love almond Biscotti, lovely photos!

7. narf77
    January 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm

You can just pour boiling water over the almonds and let them sit in it for a minute and then skin them. Easy peasy :) I love me some biscotti…not too sweet, toothsome indeed and a perfect consistency for dunking in the blackest spoon-standing-upedness of a well made espresso. Amonds are for the purist and I would agree…they tend to be very expensive when blanched etc. but doing it yourself gives you the best, freshest quality and you get quality control. I can feel a batch of biscotti coming on…my early morning bucket of tea is denuded of dippers 😉

January 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Indeed – very easy! Well, I do hope you make them and you’d better let me know 😀

8. The Vagabond Baker
    January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm

delicious, I’m always impressed by how cheaply you make wonderful things :)

9. kitchenanatomy
    January 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’ll see you for a coffee date. Those look amazing.

January 21, 2013 at 10:44 am

Feel free, though you do live rather far away!

• kitchenanatomy
        January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yes, it would be a rather expensive cup of coffee. Though, I’ve never been so it seems justified! :)

10. Richmond Treats and Kansas City Eats
    January 20, 2013 at 8:46 pm

These look absolutely amazing! Will have to try these for sure!!

11. Jill
    January 20, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I was just thinking the other day how I needed to make biscotti and then you go and post about almond biscotti. So delicious. So simple. Perfect with coffee. Looking forward to trying this!

January 21, 2013 at 10:40 am

We’re totalling connected 😀 haha. Enjoy them!

12. NickkiT
    January 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I love biscotti. Since I have all the ingredients I’m going to have to make them! 😉

January 21, 2013 at 10:37 am

Please do – you’ll love them.

• NickkiT
        January 21, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’ll give them a go today, looking forward to trying them :-)

January 22, 2013 at 9:51 am

Let me know what you think!

• NickkiT
            January 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Will do. I didn’t get round to making them the other day so I’m going to try them tomorrow. Biscotti keeps quite well, doesn’t it?

January 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Very well!

13. Rocoja
    January 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I’ve never seen a biscotti recipe, This looks wonderful, I’ve shared!

14. tee14by14
    January 20, 2013 at 11:43 pm

These look so good. Never made biscotti before.

15. preppyandfunny
    January 21, 2013 at 12:39 am

This is so so good! They remind me my childhood! Great pics! You are always so inspiring! Thank you for sharing all these amazing recipes! XO

January 21, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thanks! Thank you for commenting and paying such wonderful compliments.

16. Sarah
    January 21, 2013 at 3:38 am

YUM! I love biscotti and this looks like a great recipe! Can’t wait to give it a try!

January 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Thanks, Sarah! Let me know if you like them!

17. mrswebbinthekitchen
    January 21, 2013 at 5:28 am

Yet another jab at us poor over-sugared Americans… However, I cannot say we don’t deserve it… I held a rather unfortunate post at a Starbucks drive through store for a while and made enough 600 calorie drinks to know it’s an accurate stereotype, at least for part of our population! Think a biscotti would go well with a coffee of that type? 😉 I made my first almond biscotti a few christmases ago and fell in love at first crunch. I love how ‘rustic’ yours look!

January 21, 2013 at 10:33 am

Haha – every jab pains me more than it does you! I’m sure it would, but the biscotti wouldn’t be happy… Thanks – as you may have discovered, I like rustic.

18. Bam's Kitchen
    January 21, 2013 at 8:07 am

Can I change your serving suggestion to one hungry teenage boy. These would not last long in our house

January 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

Haha – very well, you may 😀 – I’m glad you think they wouldn’t!

19. Daniel Etherington
    January 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

Look great. Italians are very sweet-toothed too, but I think they approach it in a different way to Brits or Americans. The quintessential breakfast is coffee and cornetto, which is similar to a croissant except full of sugar! (Or indeed, full of sugar plus custard / jam / nutella etc.) I’m not certain, but I think the broad principle in Italy is to eat the most sugary things for breakfast. I believe the less sugary biscotti (or tozzetti, or even sweet, but not too sweet, tarallucci) are mostly eaten after dinner with coffee and/or digestivo (xenomorph-blood-grappa or suchlike).

January 22, 2013 at 9:52 am

Well, there we are – very informative! Thanks!

20. Jude
    January 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

These look so delicious, and we just love anything with almonds in. They’re a must. I noted that your favourite coffee shop was in Aberystwyth. My son went to Uni there and always bought his coffee and tea at The Mecca. I still buy my Earl Grey Blue Lady tea from them. I wonder if by chance The Mecca cafe, opposite The Mecca tea/coffee shop was your favourite?

January 22, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thanks! I’m from Aberystwyth you see – We get our coffee from the Mecca when I’m back – the Mecca cafe closed down years ago :D… the coffee shop is still there though. Small world.

21. saucygander
    January 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm

This looks great, as usual! how long do the biscotti last? I’m going out of town to visit friends and would like to take a (baked) gift to them.

22. Kimby | a little lunch
    January 21, 2013 at 3:19 pm

You’re right. I can see no reason to divert from your recipe. :)

January 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Those look perfect. Biscotti is one of my favorites.

24. Tonette Joyce
    January 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Here biscotti is a ridiculous price,(if you can find it). You have a nice recipe and your instructions are clear.

January 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

Really? Crazy… thanks. I can get a small biscotti in my favourite Italian coffee shop for 12p each. They are small, but delicious.

25. regressada
    January 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Oh, gracious. I’m so happy I found this blog. I have been trying to move away from buying expensive coffee and biscotti, and am trying to learn to make both at home. This looks like the perfect recipe! I have to say, your blog is truly one of a kind in the food-blogosphere. The focus is on practicality and wit, instead of just aesthetic. Which means the recipes you post have a much higher try-at-home rate for me! Keep it up!

PS As an American, I’ll admit that stale chocolate chip cookies make a wonderful stand-in for biscotti when there isn’t any to be had. I just don’t have seconds!

January 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

These are very simple! Great, thanks very much :D. It’s best to be unique… in a good way.

26. Mary K. Doyle
    January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I bake biscotti but have never tried an almond recipe. Thank you. However, I do need to find a conversion chart for measurements as we measure differently in the U.S.

January 22, 2013 at 9:48 am

Oh you must, it’s the traditional flavouring. Look at the top bar of my blog!

• Mary K. Doyle
        January 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I’m part Italian so our tradition is anise or vanilla flavoring. I will check the top bar of your blog.Thank you.

27. alfievenner
    January 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Love your photos, I made biscotti with ginger and pistachio they were lush! Definitely going to try using almonds next time :)

January 22, 2013 at 9:52 am

Thanks! that sound delicious. almonds are a must!

28. nonamanson
    January 22, 2013 at 12:34 am

I will definitely try your recipe, looks yummy!

29. Mama's Gotta Bake
    January 22, 2013 at 1:26 am

My favorite…I love them with tea!

January 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

Great – they’re good with any hot drink!

January 22, 2013 at 4:48 am

You’ve almost got me convinced…. and I’m not even a fan of biscotti. Perhaps it’s because I don’t drink coffee…

January 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

They are nice with tea too, or even alone 😀

• Tonette Joyce
        January 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I am sure they are great alone; they really wouldn’t need anything to enhance them …although, traditionally, in Italy biscotti is dipped in sweet vermouth.(But I am not sure their recipes are as flavorful as yours!)

31. 50plusandlovinglife
    January 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Reblogged this on 50 plus and loving life and commented:
    Love biscotti

32. Devany
    January 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Reblogged this on The Sassy Spoon: Fun Food! and commented:
    From my friends at Frugal Feeding… Almond Biscotti!

33. annesturetucker
    January 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I love biscotti – these look so good!

34. mylifeinfocusblog
    January 22, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Just made these today. They were great (yes, they are all gone). Went well with a cup of coffee (AM) or a spot of tea (PM). Thanks!

January 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed.

• mylifeinfocusblog
        January 28, 2013 at 4:26 am

Keep those recipes coming. I enjoy your blog very much! Thank you for the inspiration.

35. Nikita Bombita
    January 23, 2013 at 7:09 am

I tried this today. It’s delicious and just so easy. FYI, gave you credit over at (and on Twitter and Instagram. Might’ve been credit overkill. Whatever.)

36. Sophia
    January 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

Love almond biscotti – easy to put together, last a long time and delicious and then so versatile! Been meaning to experiment with savoury ones as well, have you tried a savoury version?

37. plummymummy
    January 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Ooooh now that’s a very delish looking recipe. I am a heretic as I would scoff it with tea (and really bad put a thin layer of butter on the biscotti). Going to give the recipe a go later as I have those ingredients in my cupboards at all times. You might find it cheaper to get your almonds in an Asian or Chinese supermarket.
    BTW have you got any marzipan recipes. Love the stuff, got a block of it in the cupboard but never cooked with it (except a rather unsuccessful stollen done in the Christmas lesson of my recent breadmaking course)

January 27, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thanks! Not a bad idea! I got 600g of almonds for £2 – very, very cheap. Ok, I’ll try and factor in some marzipan soon!

38. Moinette
    January 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I believe that food can provide us with some of the purest pleasures in life, and your biscotti are such a beautiful example of that. Will be making myself a batch after work tonight.

39. sweetlab
    January 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I would love to dip these almond biscotti in a warm cup of coffee. I’ll take them dry too though because they look delicious just the way they are.

40. jessa
    January 25, 2013 at 3:59 am

So beautiful. The biscotti and your photographs.

41. katya kitchen
    January 25, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Looks really good! I´ve never been good of making biscuits or pudding, this year is a challenge for me and I´ll start to try making it, as I love almonds I will definitely try this one. Have a great weekend!

January 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

The Italians do any number of things better than us Yanks, and biscotti is most definitely one! Love the traditional almond biscotti and you’ve done it proud here Nick! Dip, dunk, and kudos to you!

January 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Oh they do, though some things they do badly… recycling, for instance. Thanks 😀

43. accordingtocarey
    January 30, 2013 at 5:56 am

One of my favorite foods! These look lovely.

44. Aisha
    January 31, 2013 at 3:56 am

My biscotti always comes out looking too crumbly but from now on I’m gonna follow your recipe. Thank you for sharing :)

45. Maya Oryan
    February 18, 2013 at 6:29 am

I tried these and added some orange blossom water for extra flavor. Very nice recipe, thank you for sharing:)