Mixed Berry Smoothie

mixed-berry-smoothie-recipe

That’s the New Year over and done with and despite the fact resolutions aren’t worth the mental toilet paper they are written on, it is perhaps time for something a little healthier. For those of you currently thinking along similar lines, you’ll not go far wrong with this extraordinarily frugal recipe for mixed berry smoothie.

People don’t seem to realise how inflated the prices of smoothies are these days. The leading smoothie company in the UK, which shall remain nameless, charges around £2 per 250ml drink and while the recipes they use are very tasty, you feel like you’re paying a premium to stay healthy. Fresh berries are similarly overpriced, so I highly recommend making your own smoothies and doing so with frozen berries which often cost less than half the price.

This mixed berry smoothie recipe is more flavoursome and far cheaper than any that can be found commercially. Additionally, preparing the drink yourself means that you know exactly where your ingredients come from. The smoothie depicted above and below contained West Country honey and yoghurt which were of superior quality to most brands and comparably priced. The reasons for using ingredients produced in relatively close proximity may be less important here than in peanut butter, but it’s still beneficial to do so. Remember, it is possible to source good quality produce and remain frugal in your culinary endeavours!

Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe

Please check out my tips section for more information about being as frugal as possible… now on to the recipe!

Mixed Berry Smoothie {recipe}

Serves 2

• 150g frozen berries

• 1 banana

• 1 tsp honey

• 4 tbsp natural yoghurt

• 150ml orange juice

1. Chop up the banana into manageable chunks, throw everything into a blender and blitz until smooth. If it seems a little thick add more juice, or if it’s not quite creamy enough add more yoghurt. If you wish remove the berry seeds pass the smoothie through a sieve, but don’t worry too much!

Cost: Frozen berries are far cheaper than fresh ones and are therefore preferable, particularly at this time of the year and in frugal recipes. Two smoothies made according to this recipe should set one back no more than £1.20 – a very impressive figure, less than half the price of those produced commercially.

131 comments on “Mixed Berry Smoothie

1. sjanettdegeus
    January 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

looks yummy!!

2. fleurdeselsf
    January 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Beautiful! I like the use of frozen berries at this time of year!

3. DellaCucinaPovera
    January 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Great photo composition!

4. FriedChickenandFellini
    January 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm

This looks delicious! Time for me to go pull out my blender…

5. lifelibertyeducation
    January 3, 2013 at 5:09 pm

The frozen berries also help the texture and temp of the smoothie. Perhaps if you needed to thin it slightly and didn’t want to add more calories you might add a smudge of water instead of juice. Also in the other direction if you like it slightly thicker then use a smidge less juice. I do love a smoothie but I so hate cleaning the blender afterwards.

6. Mollie Walker Freeman
    January 3, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Thanks for this! I am an absolute smoothie addict, & my husband gave me a new gadget toward better smoothie making (for Christmas), about which I intend to create a new post this week. Here’s to great drinking!

7. Grace @ Cultural Life
    January 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Great recipe! As well as the frugal factor, home-made smoothies taste much nicer. Thanks for sharing.

8. Michelle
    January 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Pretty pics, Frugal! I always freeze bananas for smoothies when they get too mushy to eat. Actually, while you might possibly find the packaging a little wasteful, I freeze strawberries, peaches, etc. in 1/2 cup increments in snack bags during the summer for winter smoothies.

January 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Thanks, Michelle! That’s a really good idea!

9. Looks wonderful, and an excellent way to get your fruit in each day!

10. irena078
    January 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm

mmmm great photos!

11. Food and Forage Hebrides
    January 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Also a great use for frozen berries grown and gathered earlier in the year for an extra financial saving. Thanks, Tracey

12. evelyn
    January 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm

yummy yummy! looks delicious!

13. ariadnithread
    January 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Thanks so much for this! I was just looking for a recipe! Quick question: Shouldn’t I use ice? I am confused between milkshakes ans smoothies a bit, by the way. :)

14. aumcchildren
    January 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

My kids always eat smoothies for breakfast along with a piece of fruit. We make our own yogurt and use frozen fruits. The kids love it and we can control what is in it and now much sugar goes into the yogurt. They are super healthy and full of probiotics.

January 3, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I love adding orange juice to a smoothie – just gives it that little flavour boost. Those are some gorgeous frozen berries, too.

16. anbphoto
    January 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

nice photo:)

17. cathyn61
    January 3, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Love a good smoothie, especially after a long run. It looks delicious.

January 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm

It’s about time you posted a smoothie recipe :) Looks delicious. I’m starting a smoothie challenge next week, but all mine are green….

19. egg me on
    January 3, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I love berries and bananas! What kind of yogurt did you use – regular or Greek?

20. lizintheshed
    January 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I make banana and berry milkshakes once the bananas start to look like they are about to escape the fruit bowl. Just put in milk instead of juice and if you are feeling naughty a dollop of icecream instead of (or as well as) yoghurt. Great for after school treat for the kids. Frozen raspberries are a well kept secret, but make sure mixed berries aren’t padded out with grapes – frozen grapes are grim. Love your photography btw!

January 6, 2013 at 9:08 pm

That’s a great alternative to using them for banana bread. I don’t buy frozen grapes, no worries. Thanks!

21. zanzanaglob
    January 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Great idea, smoothies are really overpriced also in Milan, while the best place to have them seems to me the Middle East :) I am sure this kind of frugality will make enjoy us much more quality than we expect :) Happy New Year!

22. Conor Bofin
    January 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm

100% with you on the frozen berries. We use them in smoothies and compots when the occasion arises. Lovely looking colours in the smoothie.
    Best,
    Conor

23. Eileen B.
    January 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm

That looks so good… I’ve always had smoothies fail for some reason. Never any flavor. I’ll have to try this one.

24. whiteweights
    January 3, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I’ve been doing this for years now :) It’s what I have after my morning coffee. I’ve also found that frozen berries are perfectly acceptable in place of fresh for most recipes, even if you’re not blending them, e.g. as a pie topping.
    Nice post!

January 6, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Great stuff! me too :D. they definitely are!

25. narf77
    January 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm

We are mid summer here in Tasmania and I have been adding the odd smoothie to my breakfast menu. I use spinach from our garden and my last smoothie had raspberries and strawberries from the garden as well. I think the idea of “smoothie” has gone lateral to the max. It can almost be a savoury drink these days with all of the veggies etc. that people add. I am a bit of a purist and like a reasonable amount of sweetness and so use fruit. I tend to use whatever is seasonal at the time but I do freeze bananas for using in smoothies to give them the right thick texture. I like to add a scoop of rolled oats to my blender goblet rather than milk, and a few nuts, to give the smoothie a bit of heft…Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall would call it a “Thickie” but mine is just “breakfast” before I get stuck into unravelling my day :)

January 6, 2013 at 9:07 pm

That’s a great idea, I’ll have to try a green smoothie. I think it has to have sweetness definitely… Haha – I like the idea of a thickie!

26. It’s a shame I can only press like once because I like like like this post. In fact I love it. I’m reading this at breakfast time here in Australia and was wondering what to eat. You’ve inspired me to have a smoothie. I use frozen berries purely for convenience but they are a lot cheaper. I’ve never used oj before so will try that next time I buy some. I make them and take them to work as well.

Thanks heaps for your post today :)

27. cme5125
    January 3, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Looks delicious! Definitely going to try this out.

28. buttbellyboobs
    January 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Marvelous! I have all the ingredients… including a quater bag of frozen berries and some yoghurt to use up… I’ll make myself a lovely glass tomorrow evening :)

Thanks for sharing ! x

29. Sarah
    January 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm

This looks delicious! I think I have some frozen berries at home so hopefully I will be making this soon!

30. Smedette
    January 3, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Smoothie prices are ridiculous over here, too. I even make my own yogurt and really like how each smoothie can be customized for individuals and whatever fruit you have stashed in the freezer.

31. onemomstips
    January 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Just got a Ninja blender for Christmas and loving making smoothies, cant wait to try this one. Definitely frozen fruit is cheaper and usually more flavorful year round.

32. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    January 3, 2013 at 11:59 pm

You’re so right about smoothies being terribly overpriced! I don’t enjoy them very often, but making them at home is a great idea. Thanks for the reminder. Happy new year!

33. Deanna
    January 4, 2013 at 1:43 am

We have similar smoothies every morning and you are right–they are quite economical. We use soy milk instead of juice, but otherwise it’s about the same. Yum!!

34. intriguingdesires
    January 4, 2013 at 2:13 am

It’s nice to know what you are drinking. Once you get in the habit of making your own Smoothies it’s like second nature. Thanks for the recipe

35. Lisa Richardson
    January 4, 2013 at 2:20 am

My fave breakfast smoothie. (Canadian intepretation: substitute maple syrup for the honey. Yum.)

36. 14by14 (@14by14blog)
    January 4, 2013 at 2:54 am

That looks so yum… I love berry smoothies.

37. Carolyn Chan
    January 4, 2013 at 5:01 am

Terrific idea – I agree totally that smoothies and juices are so pricey ! And looks absolutely delicious !

38. Jen R
    January 4, 2013 at 5:25 am

Hi, happy new year…even here in Oz at peak berry season its still cheaper to use the frozen ones…we use the same recipe without the oj…add ice…even more frugal…wonderful photos btw….Cheers

January 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Same here! I find that the orange juice is a must!

39. Bam's Kitchen
    January 4, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hello Nick, I love your pictures of your frosted frozen berries. My youngest teenager has a smoothie just like the one you made every morning and I can contest they are quite good. However we also add just a couple of ice cubes to mix and it makes it really frozen and delicious just like teenagers like it. Take care, BAM

January 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thanks, Bam! not a bad idea, though I do find the frozen berries help :D

40. petit4chocolatier
    January 4, 2013 at 10:55 am

Looks delicious! I am so glad it can be made in a blender. I have one of those :)
    Definitely making it soon!!

I wish you and your loved ones a successful, rewarding, happy and healthy new year!!

January 6, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Thanks! ahha, they’re useful! Thanks, you too!

41. Val
    January 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Looks wonderful! A self-cleaning blender would be great too!

42. lambyknits01
    January 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Lovely! My daughter is a big fan of smoothies; and to make them extra thick and creamy, I always use frozen bananas :) Thanks for sharing!

January 6, 2013 at 9:03 pm

A frozen banana is a great idea – no problem :D

43. NativeNM
    January 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Love berry smoothies! These look yummy!

44. Dana @ Celiac Kiddo
    January 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Your smoothie looks fabulous! I may buy a bag of mixed berries and make these into yogurt pops for my daughter. The extra I can drink up myself :)

45. homecreationseveryday
    January 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Mmm….Yummy!!! This recipe looks so good….and your right it’s much better to make your healthy drink at home and know whats in it, while saving some bookoo dollars at the same time.

46. Leslie Chapman
    January 4, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Yum, looks delightful and fresh!

47. Tairina
    January 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm

delicious!!!

48. Our Growing Paynes
    January 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Kreative Blogger Award. If you are interested click here http://ourgrowingpaynes.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/kreativ-blogger-award/

49. Kate
    January 4, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Beautiful photography. Just stunning.

50. hayleyjaynefood
    January 4, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I need to do this! Shop bought smoothies are full of added sugars… They are much healthier this way! Can’t wait to try :)

51. movita beaucoup
    January 5, 2013 at 12:01 am

We are smoothie obsessed here at the Cat Farm! And we use a recipe very similar to yours. I absolutely refuse to buy smoothies. It’s a crime against fruit. And frugality. And the blenders that live in our kitchens. People of the world: blend your own fruit! It is easy, and you can throw all sorts of stuff in there that you’re trying to clear out of your fridge!

By the way, your photos are fabulous.

January 6, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I don’t have many, but I certainly adore them! Listen to this woman! , people! Hehe, thanks :D

52. emmycooks
    January 5, 2013 at 4:14 am

What a lovely-looking drink! I used to make a very similar recipe all the time but haven’t for a while–now I’m looking for yogurt and thinking about tomorrow’s breakfast. :) Happy new year!

53. Jennifer M.
    January 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I make smoothies for my son every morning for breakfast. I love that I can sneak some dairy into him (he doesn’t like milk), and he doesn’t even notice ;)

54. ohlidia
    January 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm

As I sit here checking out all that I’ve missed during the holiday frenzy, I receive a text message from my daughter advising me that she is hungry. What do you know, I just happen to have all the ingredients for this lovely-looking smoothie on-hand. I’m going to the kitchen this instant to make us all this Berry Smoothie!

55. ohlidia
    January 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Done! Boy, that was fast. Not exactly a mixed berry smoothie seeing as I only had frozen raspberries left, but delicious nonetheless! Thanks for the inspiration. And my duaghters thank you as well!

January 6, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Haha – glad you and your daughters enjoyed it!

56. Jodye @ Chocolate and Chou Fleur
    January 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm

it is absolutely mad how much it costs to buy a smoothies these days. Homemade are always cheaper, and in my opinion, taste better because you have complete control! This is quite a beautiful smoothie you’ve made!

57. trialsinfood
    January 5, 2013 at 11:25 pm

yum! i will gladly toast to the new year with that smoothie!

58. Stacey
    January 6, 2013 at 4:03 am

I totally agree that homemade smoothies are so much better than the store-bought ones! I make myself a fruit smoothie like this most mornings, and I add in protein powder when I am having one after a workout. I have never added honey though, I may have to try that next time!

January 6, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Great! I don’t go in for added protein – I’m more of a natural eater.

59. pixi
    January 6, 2013 at 4:41 am

We have some great raw honey and my bro in law swears by banana, milk, natural yogurt and honey as a great post exercise recovery drink. Carbs, electrolytes and protein all in abundance, I like to blueberries too to mask the milky taste (Evil cow juice = yuk).

January 6, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Very nice! I like evil cow juice… but not in abundance.

60. saucygander
    January 6, 2013 at 4:42 am

Such a good idea for summer down under! And a good way to try out the new Bosch kitchen mixer (goooood Santa). I’m pretty sure it will be cheaper than shop bought smoothies at $6 a pop.

61. Liz
    January 7, 2013 at 3:44 am

I just got a fabulous new blender and I can’t wait to try this recipe!

62. nofussacctng
    January 7, 2013 at 5:39 am

Looks so amazing!! Definitely going to put this on my list to try and pinning !! Thanks!!

63. myfangalicious
    January 7, 2013 at 6:10 am

the photography here is absolutely amazing. it almost looks fake it’s soo good. Great job frugal

64. Linne
    January 8, 2013 at 4:31 am

This looks so good! I use frozen fruits and berries, too, and usually make a smoothie for part of my breakfast, thanks to a friend’s leaving me her Magic Bullet, which makes one large smoothie at a time. One thing I don’t do: I never mix citrus and dairy, so with dairy I use apple juice as a rule. It’s very good with yoghurt. I nearly always use a banana, too, as I like the texture it gives. My supermarket recently began carrying organic bananas and they are not that much more money than the usual ones.
    Hope you had a good holiday season! I wish you a great new year, too! ~ Linne

January 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thanks! I much prefer it with orange juice I’m afraid. Organic bananas sound good.

65. patsy
    January 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Looks lovely! I am going to try this and throw in a little spinach!

66. dg
    January 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

As I’m a fan of the smoothie, this one caught my attention. Nice photos, as always. I’ve taken to adding spinach to my berry and banana smoothies, believe it or not. You can’t taste it over the berries and banana, but you get a lot of valuable nutrients. I also add cocoa once in a while. Just because.

January 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm

So glad you like it! Haha – I like the reason ‘just because’

67. ripe red berries
    January 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

gorgeous photos! looks super delicious!

68. ilroccoloascolipiceno
    January 8, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Great recipes! I shall be looking here when we ( hopefully) have a surplus of fruit from our orchard in the summer!

69. buttbellyboobs
    January 8, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Made this last week, with a scoop of protein to have pre-gym and it was lush! Took it to work in Mr Thermos Flask and had it for mid-afternoon treat… nom nom nom

70. purityin365days
    January 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Can’t wait to try!!!!

71. Kimby | a little lunch
    January 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Those frosty-looking berries are stunning, as is your smoothie. You really ought to consider publishing a book — Frugal Photography!

72. trainwithlou
    January 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Reblogged this on Train with Louis and commented:
    Cheap ‘recovery smoothie’ recipe

73. intertwinedemotions
    January 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

mmm yum I want it now! too bad I dont have bananas though:(