Orange and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake

Orange and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe

Happy New Year! We have entered 2013 (as I’m sure you’re aware) and FrugalFeeding has entered its third calendar year – though it has yet to reach its second birthday. Ring shaped cakes, usually known as bundt cakes, are traditionally eaten at this time of year because they symbolize the cyclical nature of the calendar. However, the New Year is also a time of frugality, a point at which all of the gluttony of Christmas should be erased (not that my previous post adheres to such a thing). As such, this particular recipe for orange and poppy seed bundt cake is perfect; not only is it circular, it refrains from outrageous decadence.

Poppy seeds are up there amongst my favourite ingredients in baking. They bring with them a subtle nutty flavour that complements citrus fruit extraordinarily well and graces cakes with an eye-catching speckle that is very close to being irresistible. Actually, now poppy seeds have been mentioned, why not check out my recipe for lemon and poppy seed cupcakes – such a thing shouldn’t be missed.

Putting this recipe for orange and poppy seed bundt cake to one side, 2012 has been a great year for FrugalFeeding – thank you ever so much for your support, each and every one of you! I shan’t go into all of my facts and figures and ideas about where I’ll be going over the next 12 months, but it’s all very exciting. Instead, here’s a run-down of my most popular recipes of 2012, each and every one of them is a frugal delight and well worth reading! (Sorry if this is a little lengthy!)

Mocha Mousse Recipe
Mocha Mousse –
This recipe was by far my most popular of 2012 and you can see why. This fabulous dessert has it all – flavour, texture and decadence. Who would have guessed that the entire batch set me back a mere £1.50?

Garlic and Herb Flatbreads

Garlic and Herb Flatbreads – Inspired by ‘The Great British Bake Off’ this recipe was probably my favourite bread recipe of 2012. Brushed with a little garlic oil, these flatbreads pack a real punch worthy of any curry and/or stew! Best of all, they set us back just £1.10.

Spicy Baked Falafel Recipe

Spicy Baked Falafel – This particular post was an updated version of an old recipe and boy was it good! Falafel are usually deep fried in oil, resulting in a crispy outer layer and a soft, moist inside. However, when I realised that such a thing could be achieved in the oven, there was no stopping me. As such, these little balls of chickpea heaven would be the perfect post-Christmas snack and they only set us back around £2.

Chocolate Mousse Recipe

Chocolate Mousse – You lot really like chocolate based mousse don’t you? I’ll remember to post another mousse recipe next time my page views are flagging! To be honest, there isn’t much to say about this post that hasn’t been said above – it is spectacular and delicious. Please give it a whirl – these only set us back 70 pence!

Autumnal Minestrone Recipe

Autumnal Minestrone – Last but not least is my autumnal recipe for minestrone. This Italian soup/broth is one that can be made all year round and as such, you can expect similar posts for the remaining three seasons. However, this is one dish you’ll really want to make – it’s hearty, warming and brimming with flavour. Don’t miss out at only £2.50!

Orange and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake {recipe}

Makes 1 bundt cake

• 3 eggs

• Butter, self-raising flour and caster sugar, the amount of each should be the same weight as the eggs (roughly 170-180g)

• Pinch of salt

• The zest of two large oranges and 1 tbsp of juice

• 20g poppy seeds

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour your bundt tin. Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, before incorporating the eggs one at a time.

2. Add a pinch of salt, the zest, juice and poppy seeds and sift in the flour from a height. Fold everything in gently. Pour this into the bundt tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until brown and cooked through.

Orange and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe

3. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning out. This cake freezes well and can keep for up to 3-4 days in an air tight container.

Orange and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe

Cost: The entire cake, which is really rather sizeable, should set one back no more than £2.10 – very frugal indeed. Isn’t it funny how we usually associate cakes with decadence, when really they can be the epitome of value for money!

69 comments on “Orange and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake

1. Bernice
    January 1, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Beautiful pictures!!

2. mrswebbinthekitchen
    January 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Mmm… Nothing beats an orange-flavored baked good during this time of year! Love it with the poppy seeds!

3. Food and Forage Hebrides
    January 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm

The bundt cake does look delicious, although I am not quite through with seasonal decadence yet… Happy New Year, look forward to your posts in 2013. Tracey

4. narf77
    January 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Cake that looks like mum made it, ready to go without a thick layer of artery clogging buttercream and a mug of cocoa/hot chocolate that looks like you can stand a spoon up in it is my sort of winter repast! We are starting a new course of study this year and have exhausted our old lecturer and are moving on to a new one…we had our last one trained well…we study online and at our monthly meetings I would bake something delicious to share over good coffee and together we all built our knowledge and a friendship in the process…now we have to start all over again with a stiff new model! Time to break that sucker in and this gorgeous looking cake looks just the ticket to start with…not too luxurious…you have to save “luxurious” for when you are rewarding said lecturer…it’s like training a dog…reward them when you are happy and ignore them when they have done something wrong ;). I might spike it and drizzle over a nice orange flower scented syrup or perhaps a drizzle of chocolate over the top to render it Terry’s oranged…who knows what this cake will do for our reputation…a lot is standing on this for our very first meeting…wish us luck…(maybe I need to bring a thermos of that chocolate to shore up the cake? 😉 ) “Oh ye of little faith! Believe in the power of the cake…” May the cake force be with us!

January 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

fantastic – all the best are! That sounds like a great way to learn! I think it’s luxurious, in a different way :D. Good luck, don’t spike it with anything too deadly :D.

• narf77
        January 6, 2013 at 9:46 pm

It entirely depends on the new lecturer now doesn’t it? I am willing to give him a go… “fool me once” etc. 😉

5. originalapplejunkie
    January 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Your blog makes me happy :)

6. Elly McCausland (@nutmegs_seven)
    January 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I’m also a big fan of poppy seeds in cakes – they add a reassuring almost ‘healthy’ flavour, somehow! This looks like just the sort of simple thing I want to be baking in the new year after the madness of multiple Christmas roasts…!

7. An Unrefined Vegan
    January 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Outstanding recipes!

8. whisksandchopsticks
    January 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Citrus and poppy go so well together. Excellent choice!

January 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Boy do you know your way around a cake, especially when citrus is involved. I think you put the idea of baked falafel in Katherine’s head by the way and we’re glad you did. Everything looks great here. Hope you have just as wonderful of a 2013.

10. rachelbeginshere
    January 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Im dying to try the flatbreads! they look delsihhh… intact everything does

11. strawberryquicksand
    January 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I love cooking with poppy seeds because of the texture they give to whatever they are used in!

January 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Happy New Year, Nick! I didn’t know that about ring/bundt cakes, but I like it :)

January 6, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Thanks, Korena – neither did I until a little research was had.

13. Abby
    January 1, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Mmm looks great!

January 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm

How do you get your food to look so fantastic?! Seriously drool-worthy, Nick! If Rosemary shows up to nick your Aga pan, I am coming along for those ducky cups :-) Too cute!

This cake looks wonderful. I just read somewhere that even eating the small amount of poppy seeds in a bagel or a slice of cake can throw off drug tests . . . Not that I thought you needed that info or anything!

January 6, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Haha – thanks, Daisy! It’s a seagull and it doesn’t live with me :). I’ll keep that info in my back pocket – how little you know 😀

• baconbiscuit212
        January 8, 2013 at 12:59 am

Hee hee :-)

• gocooking
          January 8, 2013 at 1:59 am

Loving the Bundt….MMMmmmmm, can almost smell it never mind taste it. Thanks for sharing!.

15. trixfred30
    January 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Yes the mousse looks supreme

16. The Vagabond Baker
    January 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Great! plus you learn something new every day! I didn’t know round bundt cakes were a new year thing, brilliant! Thank you!

17. Pride in Photos Photography
    January 1, 2013 at 11:44 pm

The poppyseed looks divine…

18. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    January 2, 2013 at 12:28 am

Every one of these dishes looks amazing.. what is the total if you added them all up, I wonder? I love bundt cakes.. I think it’s a shape thing for me.. the flavors in this one must be wonderful. And that chocolate mousse.. oh my gosh, that’s just the best!!

January 6, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much, Barbara! the total of what? The mousse is probably my favourite…

19. hangtreetales
    January 2, 2013 at 2:12 am

Now I’m hungry! :-). And good to know about ring cakes and New Years.

20. mamaraby
    January 2, 2013 at 2:37 am

Oh, my! I love citrus so I’m definitely going to have to try this one!

21. chitchatandallofthat
    January 2, 2013 at 2:42 am

MMMM…..everything looks SO delish! I always look forward to viewing your recipes! :)

22. Stephanie
    January 2, 2013 at 5:03 am

I love citrus treats, and this cake looks delicious! Happy New Year to you… thank you for sharing your wonderful photos and recipes with us!

January 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm

and to you, Stephanie! No problem – you too!

23. whilehewasout
    January 2, 2013 at 8:55 am

This cake looks great! I love poppy seeds, yum. Now off to the garlic and herb flatbreads!!

24. fortyjarsfull
    January 2, 2013 at 9:04 am

Oh my that cake sounds delish , I love citrus cakes and simple makes it all the better , will have to give it a whirl , love the blog :)

25. NickkiT
    January 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

Happy New Year :-) That cake looks lovely. I do love a bundt cake. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2013!

January 6, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks so much! there’ lots of good to come!

26. Nicole da Rosa
    January 2, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Such a lovely blog

27. Green Door Hospitality
    January 2, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Happy New Year!! I have always used lemon with poppy seed but look forward to trying your bundt cake with the orange to change things up a bit! :-)

28. NativeNM
    January 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Happy New Year! Wish I had a piece of that orange bundt cake, it looks so good! Best of luck in the new year and I can’t wait to see all the new recipes you’ll be whipping up!

29. loudlyliz
    January 2, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Happy New Year! This looks fantastic, will be trying it very soon. Keep up the amazing work =)

30. musingmar
    January 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Orange and poppyseed is a great combo, and your cake recipe looks so easy! (I have a nice Orange Cardamom Cake in my repertoire, and yours would be a good variation.) your year-end review makes me want to make all those recipes, now! Alas (ha!) I’m poolside on vacation right now so it will have to wait. Oh, lucky me. I usually start the new year shovelling snow.

January 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Definitely is! That sounds amazing too – fragrant! Lucky you indeed!

31. Our Growing Paynes
    January 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I love how you stress you can eat well for less. I try to convince my friends that it is possible. I’m not sure what they are buying! We generally can do a week of shopping for less than $150 for a family of four and around $100 in the summer when the garden is up and running. And that is with us splurging on a few things and laundry detergent. So it is great to see blogs like yours showing it can be done! :)

January 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm

IT’s so simple, really! that’s great – thanks ever so much :)

January 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Congrats on all the success of the blog Nick. You certainly deserve every bit of it. I remember each of those recipes! This cake looks fantastic. I love how golden the edges are! Happy New Year my friend.

January 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Thanks, Somer – it’s doing really well so far this year actually! Happy New Year!

33. Brie @ Entrée the Giant
    January 2, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I wish I had known about this blog back in ’12, but I’ll be back going forward! What beautiful photography…you could convince me to make any of your most popular recipes you just listed without any words at all :)

January 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Haha – sorry that you did not! Thanks so much!

34. Conor Bofin
    January 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Great stuff Nick. A lovely looking cake. Keep up the great work. Here in recession torn Ireland, we need all the good frugality we can get!
    Happy New Year,

January 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Thanks, Conor!Indeed, though I’m sure you’re not doing too badly… better than me I’m sure.

35. Claire Sambolino
    January 2, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Happy new year and I look forward to 2013’s Frugal recipes.

36. onceuponarecipe
    January 3, 2013 at 12:33 am

I love cakes with poppy seeds and citrus! I’ve got a great lemon poppyseed cake recipe myself! Happy 2013!

37. tee14by14
    January 3, 2013 at 5:07 am

What a yummy looking bunt cake… love orange and poppy seed cakes:)

38. Sophie33
    January 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

What a stunning & light looking cake! Looks fabulous too! So do the other recipes! :) Yum Yum yum!

39. Aimee@clevermuffin
    January 3, 2013 at 10:58 am

I’m glad that Mocha Mousse (with the oh-so-enviable seagull mugs) got a mention. Both that and that recipe and the falafel’s got pins on my (quite exclusive, really, I’m choosy on what I pin) board on pinterest of things I want to make. That mousse might just be what I’m after for a dinner party next weekend, it’s 41 degrees here in Oz and baking is out of the questions.

Happy 2013 Nick! Looking forward to seeing what you’re going to bring :)

January 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Oh yes, how could it not?!I’m surprised you haven’t pinned more of my stuff 😀 Hehe. I look forward to seeing what you do too, Aimee! Happy New Year.

40. Karista
    January 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Everything on this post looks divine! What a delicious year! And Happy 2013 Frugal :)

41. petit4chocolatier
    January 4, 2013 at 10:53 am

Yummy! Happy 2013!!

42. gocooking
    January 7, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Looks delicious!!

43. taplatt
    January 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm

This looks great! If you’re a citrus+poppyseed fan.

44. Jeannie Carriere