Tiramisu

Tiramisu

Tiramisu is one of my very favourite desserts – every mouthful of this creamy and ever-so-slightly naughty Italian dessert demands yet another. Nothing is left wanting if one’s tiramisu is made according to a good recipe – the coffee and rum soaked sponge fingers give it a feisty flavour and subtle texture, whilst the cream cheese, mascarpone and double cream provide copious richness. In fact, scratch my initial proposition – this is my number one dessert, not even this or any other cheesecake can touch it.

For all the perfection that is to be found in this tiramisu recipe, there is one pitfall to avoid which pertains to the soaking of the sponge fingers. One must be careful to merely show them to the coffee, an in and out encounter, for as soon as they remain too long in the liquid they are likely to become unbearably soggy. Shop bought tiramisu possess this somewhat fatal trait and, believe me, it is to be avoided rather like one might attempt to avoid the plague.

Tiramisu

Don’t worry too much about which dish to use for your tiramisu – the creamy layer can be as thick as you like, but aim for around 1.5-2 inches. However, if you intend to use a particularly deep vessel that isn’t very wide it may be advisable to do two layers of sponge fingers and two layers of cream. Following this advice will enable you to avoid creating an overly rich and creamy dessert. It’s your call – you’ll enjoy the recipe either way.

Tiramisu

Serves 8-12

• 250g mascarpone cheese

• 100g cream cheese

• 200ml double cream

• 50ml dark rum

• 2 heaped tbsp icing sugar

• 200ml strong instant coffee

• 20 sponge fingers

• 40g dark or plain chocolate

1. Whisk together the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, double cream, rum and sugar until it is completely smooth and uniform.

Tiramisu

2. Make up your coffee using two heaped teaspoons of coffee granules. Dip each sponge finger in the coffee for no more than 1-2 seconds – layer these on the base of your chosen tiramisu vessel and grate over half of the chocolate.

Tiramisu

3. Layer the creamy mixture on top of the sponge fingers and press down until flat and level. Grate over the remaining chocolate and pop in the fridge for an hour, this will allow it to firm up and make it easier to serve.

Tiramisu

Cost: If one invests in a large bottle of dark rum, an ingredient which can used in many different ways, this tiramisu recipe can be made for an extremely reasonable price. Indeed, assuming that you have made such an investment this entire casserole dish of tiramisu should set you back no more than £3.50 – very frugal if one considers how many it will feed!

97 comments on “Tiramisu

1. EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
    December 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I am SO making this to take to a friends tomorrow for our New Year’s Eve dinner. The kids can have banoffee pie. This is just for the grown ups!!!

2. Dianna
    December 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I want to make every single recipe you post. I also want to go on a diet. I am hopelessly conflicted. But thank you.

3. Ralph Ferrett
    December 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Jayze that looks stupidly nice. I love your blog but you always make me feel like a rank amateur when I read your posts!

Despite my post xmas diet having technically started I reckon I am gonna have to make this sooner rather than later!

4. fishingblues
    December 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oh man, there goes my post-Christmas diet… Here in the US we don’t have anything called double cream. Do you know, is it the same as heavy cream or whipping cream? Can’t wait to try this recipe!

5. bondingtool
    December 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Funny how my daughter was telling me we have some double cream at home and that I should make a tiramisu which I have never made any before. I told her I do not have a recipe (was thinking of searching online later) and then you posted this number 1 dessert of yours! Thank you :) They look super delicious here.

6. cookingwithoutlimits
    December 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Great idea for Holidays. I was just preparing to do it when you post the recipe. I will show you mine when is done.

7. cathyn61
    December 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm

One of my favourite desserts only to be consumed during the months when marathon training! :)

8. Cathy
    December 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Looks and sounds perfect!

9. Inge
    December 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I love this dessert as well especially a home-made one! Easy ingredients, easy made! I made it few times from Delia’s recipe as I’ve posted here:

Yours is even simpler! Can’t resist to try it. Thanks for sharing it. :)

10. purplepincushion
    December 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm

YUM! Looks delightful, can’t wait to try it. Question, though. Double cream, is that just heavy cream or something else? I don’t think I have heard that term on this side of the pond.

11. ripe red berries
    December 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Looks fabulous – I’ve never made tiramisu – but I love it – will try when time allows…Happy New Year!!

12. Rhonda Sittig
    December 30, 2012 at 7:14 pm

beautiful!

13. Jude
    December 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Oh groan … and I was on a diet!

14. poppytump
    December 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

You make all thoughts of NY resolutions go hang lololol
    Mmmmmmm

15. lilivee
    December 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Before I went vegan, Tiramisu used to be one of my favourite desserts.. Yours looks just as tempting as I remember it! :)
    I’ll definitely have to find a way to veganize it.

I really like your blog!
    May I ask an additional question about your photography: Where do you snap your photographs? Wherever I go, everywhere in this house seems to be something annoying in the background :D Do you use a certain screen or anything to prevent too much beackground stuff?
    Thanks in advance!

January 14, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Give it a go – you must! Thanks. I snap them on a small coffee table next to a window :D. No screen – but I do use a light reflector.

16. The Courgette Co-op
    December 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Oh my. Tiramisu and cheesecake are my favourites too :)

By the way, Nigella Lawson has a tiramisu recipe that includes Baileys. I haven’t tried it yet but I love Baileys so it should be good! (see http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/irish-cream-tiramisu-5)

January 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Not a bad idea – I think kahlua would be better :D

17. Kim @ Tranquil Dreams
    December 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I have nominated you for the Blog of the Year 2012. You can check it out here: http://klling.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/blog-of-the-year-2012-2nd-star/

Happy New Year!
    Kim

18. thecookingchook
    December 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Tiramisu is one of my all time favourte desserts. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

December 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I’ve had tiramisu in the back of my mind for ages… one of these days I’ll get around to making it. So delicious!!

20. strawberryquicksand
    December 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm

God damned. And my diet starts tomorrow!

21. onceuponarecipe
    December 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I have been meaning to make my own tiramisu – thanks for the reminder! Better get on it before my annual new year’s resolution to eat less sweets is set! Happy (almost) new year!

January 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Give it a whirl, Amanda! Happy (belated) New Year!

22. Cressida Gaukroger
    December 30, 2012 at 11:59 pm

This looks extremely delicious. I was just thinking about how much I wanted tiramisu at breakfast time this morning.

23. petit4chocolatier
    December 31, 2012 at 12:35 am

Oh my! Sinfully delish :)

24. determined34
    December 31, 2012 at 3:35 am

Love Tiramisu, will share my Northern Italian recipe with you. My mother-in-law made them for Restaurants. Need to be at. Computer not iPhone :) D34

25. jenyjohn
    December 31, 2012 at 4:26 am

This is really fantastic and I`m sure going to try….. I love Tiramisu and this sure is a definite try out….:)

26. yomicfit
    December 31, 2012 at 4:42 am

I insist this dessert will be in heaven.
    I love it, therefore I don’t want to make it for the sake of ruining a great thing.

27. malvikajaswal
    December 31, 2012 at 5:05 am

Beautiful as always! Everytime I try Tiramisu it is a disaster primarily because I try to make the biscuits myself.. everytime :(
    Anyhow, Happy New Year!!

28. poppyleigh-designs
    December 31, 2012 at 5:36 am

I have never made tiramisu before, but it looks pretty simple – I will have to make it sometime! Thanks for the recipe!

29. Tonette Joyce
    December 31, 2012 at 6:23 am

Thank you , thank you , thank you! Most people take shortcuts with this! Your recipe is beautiful and authentic, made like one corner of my Italian family makes it;(the others don’t even try). I am so ill when I see people use bad shortcuts.I have seriously heard of people using Twinkies or Little Debbies ,instant vanilla pudding a Cool Whip!(urg)
    Bless you! Happy New Year!

January 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm

thanks so much – I like to stick to authenticity! That sounds gross…

December 31, 2012 at 6:38 am

Oh my goodness. You’ve just made my most favorite dessert, EVER. I haven’t made it since I went vegan, but I did have it at a local vegan restaurant a few months back. Their’s was good, but not a hint of coffee flavor. Boo. Time to get to the drawing board, eh? p.s. I got a jar of marmite for Christmas from a confused friend, but I think I like it even better than vegemite. Who knew? :)

January 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Hehe – thanks, Somer! you’ll do it! That is boo! should have loads. Oh definitely… odd present though. Never tried vegemite… sounds gross.

31. The Healthy Flavor
    December 31, 2012 at 7:00 am

I just want to shove my face into that cream in the second photo. Tiramisu is my very favorite indulgence period. Ever. Cheesecake is my 2nd. I haven’t had it in at least 2 years and miss it terribly. I started working on a vegan recipe during the holidays, but it’s not quite there yet….Want to get the cake ladyfingers just right. I’m very particular with high standards to tiramisu since it is only the best dessert EVER and I’ve never liked any recipe but one in my whole life. Mascarpone is just unmatched. Yours looks very good!

January 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

haha – I did… not really. Make some! you’l get there! Stick with it. thanks so much.

December 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts too! This looks glorious, Nick. Bravo!

And Happy New Year to you!

January 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Thanks so much, Daisy! We have so much in common – hah!

33. albertocook
    December 31, 2012 at 7:08 am

I love this !
    I eat tiramisù everyday if I can… :-)

34. sjanettdegeus
    December 31, 2012 at 7:46 am

Looks delicious!!

35. Conor Bofin
    December 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

Very nice Nick.
    Happy New Year to you and yours,
    Conor

36. Grace @ Cultural Life
    December 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

Mmmm, home-made tiramisu looks so good! I’m going to have to make that when I visit my tiramisu-loving friend because I really can’t justify eating a whole one by myself, can I? ;-)

37. EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
    December 31, 2012 at 11:49 am

Ok. I’ve made it. It’s sitting in the fridge waiting to travel from Kent to Hertfordshire for a New Years eve dinner party. I’ve licked the spoon. Scraped the bowl clean and now seriously can’t wait to eat it. Thanks for a quick and easy dessert.

CAN’T WAIT!!!

38. narf77
    December 31, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Blimy you are getting popular! Must be that new camera…it is taking AGES to scroll down just to leave a comment ;). My daughters made tiramisu using Gordon Ramsey’s recipe and I was decidedly underwhelmed. I prefer my coffee in a mug and my sponge fingers dipped into it…I think I will pass on the tiramisu but my sister will roll over and play dead or beg for it if you like ;) Happy New Year and well done on the masses of people following the blog, most deserved :)

January 6, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Indeed – I think it’s done wonders. This is certainly a great recipe though, give it a shot :D – Ramsey is overrated :D. Happy New Year. Thanks for so much support!

39. joanmcgrath2012
    December 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

YUM!!

40. lmicheles
    December 31, 2012 at 5:04 pm

You whip your cream with a whisk? Impressive.

January 6, 2013 at 9:31 pm

no, no, no… well sometimes – this doesn’t need proper whisking!

41. Cookie Dough Katzen
    December 31, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Yum! It looks so pretty too :)

42. MarlisB
    December 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I want to climb into the pictures and just make a piglet of myself. This is scrumptious!!!!

43. Our Growing Paynes
    December 31, 2012 at 8:11 pm

This is one of my husband’s favourites. I haven’t made it in awhile but as it is easy to make I need to get cracking! :)

44. Due
    January 1, 2013 at 12:44 am

£3.50. Really?? Mascarpone, double cream and cream cheese comes to that before adding the biscuits etc!!

January 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm

The maths has been done and my price is correct :D

45. Laurie
    January 1, 2013 at 2:26 am

Happy 2013, Frugal Feeding!

46. A House and A Garden
    January 1, 2013 at 11:48 am

Oh, yum. The all time favourite. Had sticky toffee pudding for new years on this end, with a naughty dash of ice cream on the side. Amen.

47. createwithkla
    January 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm

mmmmn I love tiramisu but have never made it myself! Thanks for the recipe.

48. Bernice
    January 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Your photographs are beautiful!

49. Mizz Winkens
    January 1, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I made a tirimusu for Christmas day as my German hubby don’t like Christmas pud (I know! I mean what’s not to like?) Anyhow my version was slightly different – from Irish Chef Darina Allen. No cream or cream cheese- just mascarpone and a separated egg instead plus lots of frantic whisking. Made the day before for maximum alcohol soakage. Absolutely delicious, as yours was I’m sure. Happy New Year!

• Kelly
      January 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Your way is the authentic way. The one here is not, but still sounds good.

January 6, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Ahha – he doesn’t like Christmas pudding?! Weird. I disagree with egg in tiramisu, but I’m sure it was lovely!

50. bartologamaliel
    January 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

This really looks delicious and easy to make but I have very limited resources. I’m hoping you could share us something elegant and delicious with very simple ingredients. I’d like to learn something that I can make for a gift or something.

51. cathynd95
    January 2, 2013 at 12:44 am

Reblogged this on What's For Dinner? and commented:
    You know how I love desserts!

52. avocadosandales
    January 3, 2013 at 2:19 am

Oh this looks amazing!

53. Anastasia
    January 3, 2013 at 6:40 am

I LOVE IT!

54. lambyknits01
    January 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Gorgeous! I have yet to have true tiramisu…

55. idiosyncratic eye
    January 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I’ve only seen recipes that use raw eggs so this makes a tempting idea, however I’d rather cheesecake over tiramisu though! ;)

56. vplant
    January 3, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Looks delicious! I have always used the Tiramisu recipe from the Silver Spoon cookbook but it doesn’t call for any alcohol which I always thought was funny. I’ll have to try your recipe next time!

57. Karla
    January 4, 2013 at 3:33 am

I think we made tiramisu at the same time last week! Mine was pretty pricey though! I made a huge one (2 layers, 9x13in pan). Instead of rum, I use hazelnut liqueur, tasty as well. To save money, I bought one of those tiny sample bottles, but the whole thing still set me back about US$25.

January 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

What a coincidence! that’s a nice idea. Oh my God, that’s expensive!

58. Michele
    January 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Tiramisu is my favorite dessert hands down. This recipe looks so easy, I’ll definitely have to try it out!

59. Thea Christie
    January 10, 2013 at 11:19 am

oh that’s to die for! nomnomnom

60. Vicki
    April 9, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Love your recipe! I made my own version with peaches and ricotta if you would like to check it out!

thankyou x

61. drybredquips
    May 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Thanks for liking “songwriting” and for a mouthwatering look at things that make me wish I wasn’t diabetic.

62. Rhonda Sittig
    May 29, 2013 at 4:13 am

It’s so beautiful–wish I could reach into your blog for a plateful.