Peanut Butter

peanut butter, frugal living, thrifty, healthy meals,

Making food, this peanut butter for instance, from scratch has advantages that are numerous and varied compared with purchasing their commercially produced counterparts. Clearly, the advantage my blog is most keenly interested in is the fact that making one’s own food is cheaper 99 per cent of the time. However, there is one only slightly less obvious argument for doing so – it makes it far easier to control exactly what goes into your recipes and diet.

For instance, even the most expensive supermarket brands of peanut butter contain palm oil, an ingredient both unnecessary and environmentally immoral – it has caused the destruction of the natural habitat of thousands of species of animals worldwide. The less said about cheaper products the better, for their recipes also contain brown sugar and peanut oil, in addition to palm oil. All of this unnecessary, environmentally damaging and unhealthy produce in a spread that really only requires two ingredients; peanuts and just a smidge of salt.

The trick to employ when making peanut butter is to process the nuts so much that they give up their natural oil – where’s the sense in adding peanut oil to peanuts?! Remember, they may at first appear to possess the unappetising quality of sand, but after a good four minutes of vigorous encouragement you’ll be in possession of the finest damn spread on Earth, that is, excepting marmite – I love that stuff.

peanut, vegan, vegetarian

Flavour wise, I heartily encourage you to roast your own peanuts – salted peanuts tend to be of lower quality and, again, contain palm oil and sunflower oil. There’s something about home-roasted nuts that immediately trumps those that are pre-roasted – perhaps it’s the presence of the natural brown skin that lifts the flavour just that little bit? Either way, once you’ve tried this, you’ll never go back… it is seriously good, far healthier and exceedingly frugal.

Peanut Butter

Makes 1 jar

• 200g natural, uncooked peanuts

• ½ tsp salt

1. Pop the nuts in a roasting tin with the salt and roast at 180C for 5-10 minutes. When done they’ll be crunchy all the way through, but make sure they don’t burn – it doesn’t take much.

frugal living, healthy eating, vegan, vegetarian

2. Leave your nuts to cool a little before popping them in the food processor and whizzing for 4-5 minutes until a smooth paste is left – you’ll know when to stop… if in doubt, carry on.

peanut butter, healthy living, frugal meals

Cost: A two-ingredient recipe is almost always going to be cheap. Depending on where you get them from un-roasted peanuts may be a little more expensive than roasted peanuts (which doesn’t make sense), but it’s worth it since they don’t contain anything superfluous. You’ll soon be enjoying this peanut butter for the frugal price of £1.30, far less than the £3.10 asking price of the top-end stuff in supermarkets!

160 comments on “Peanut Butter

1. mvissat
    December 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm

This sounds delicious. I might have to attempt it with almonds! Almond butter is my favorite and I would much prefer to make my own.

December 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks! Please do! I think the process would be similar.

2. savorysouthern
    December 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I am a peanut butter freak! Use it in smoothies everyday. Have you tried making it from almonds?

December 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm

It’s great isn’t it?! Nope, but I plan to eventually.

3. Sarah
    December 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am eternally grateful that in the US finding “natural” PB is easy to find :-) I grew up it so the partially hydrogenated stuff with palm oil is weird to me. Too sweet, too thick and too salty!!

December 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm

That is good! It’s harder here by far.

• 'Becca
      December 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yes, I find it easy to get PB made from just peanuts (and usually, but not always, salt) in my part of the US, too. I hope it soon becomes more available in the UK. Here in Pittsburgh we have a natural foods co-op store where you can grind your own peanut butter into a jar you bring! It is quite tasty, and it’s fun to watch it come out of the grinder, though it tends to fall into the jar such that there are lots of air pockets and you have to keep shaking it down.

Nuts in jars, however, may be coated with all sorts of oils. I’m just starting to be more alert to the labels, after realizing that I was eating cashews coated in COTTONSEED oil–cotton is one of the most heavily pesticided crops and not even a food! Yuck!!

December 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

A little salt never hurt anyone :D. PB is extremely available in the UK, just not the stuff without palm oil. Cottonseed oil sounds a little gross – we don’t tend to have ingredients like that in our food over here…

4. Choosy Gourmand
    December 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Indeed, the problems of many processed foods are easily avoided with a little knowhow and effort. Keep up the good work!

5. Jo Blogs
    December 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

You can make Nutella in a similar fashion by Whizzing roasted hazelnuts with cocoa and sugar to taste. Oh my, my waist line is inflating just thinking on these ideas!

• Somer
      December 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I keep meaning to try that one, thanks for the reminder Jo!

December 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Duly noted… I’ll give it a go.

6. An Unrefined Vegan
    December 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Oh that looks wonderful. But I’m a fool for peanut butter. Did I mistakenly think only Americans craved peanut butter??

7. fleurdeselsf
    December 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Fantastic post! Do you think this method would work equally well with almonds?

• Somer
      December 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It does work well with almonds, you just need to process them quite a bit longer…

• emmycooks
        December 6, 2012 at 7:05 am

I have made almond butter with almonds that I first roasted with maple syrup–so. good. :)

• Somer
          December 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Brilliant Emmy!

December 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ll be making more nut butters soon 😀

December 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Duly noted 😀

December 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks – Yep, but longer as Somer says 😀

8. Cowboys and Crossbones
    December 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

What? I had no clue how quickly one could make their own peanut butter! I look forward to trying!

9. Christina
    December 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Just can’t beat it! Good idea to roast them first – didn’t think of that. Just a note: you say it requires 2 ingredients: peanut butter and salt. I assumer you just mean peanuts and salt 😛

December 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Exactly :D. That’s been rectified… my bad 😀

December 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I buy a brand called Adam’s which is just peanuts and salt as well, and I can probably buy it cheaper than I can make it, but sometimes homemade is just too good to pass up. I’m totally intrigued that you used peanuts with the skin still on! That must taste incredible.

December 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Oh that’s great! It does, the skin really adds something.

• Somer
        December 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’ll bet! I love eating peanuts with the skin still on. As soon as my mammoth jar of PB is finished, this is on the list. :)

11. Raphaelle
    December 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I love that you are making everything from scratch, I have never tried creating my owm peannut butter, but after reading your post I will for sure.

December 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Everything is just so much better made from scratch.

12. countrywoodsmoke
    December 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Great post, wee should all make more of our own produce, I will be making this, thanks for inspiring.
    Cheers
    Marcus

December 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Fantastic, Marcus – you’ll love it 😀

13. paulheels
    December 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This is awesome. I love natural peanut butter an now I’m gonna be able to do it myself! Thanks

14. urmel
    December 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I made my own tahini paste, my own hummus, now it’s time for my own peanut butter :) Thanks for this encouraging post.

15. andrajean
    December 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I made my own pb several times (and other nut butters) but never thought of roasting my own peanuts. I’ll have to try that – thanks for the idea! And thanks for liking my antichef blog!

16. Big Al
    December 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Think i will give this a shot as i sadly use the processed stuff for convienience!

17. Sophia
    December 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm

How frugal of you! In all honesty, I like making my own peanut butter too! Like you I hate the addition of sketchy ingredients to my peanut butter and also can’t justify overspending on something that can so easily be made at home.

Other than my beloved peanut butter, I can highly recommend making walnut butter at home, again, super easy and walnut butter is velvety smooth and is perfect eaten on a slice of toasted sourdough bread with a sprinkle of fleur de sel and a drizzle of honey. Sadly, walnuts cost an arm and a leg in Italy so I will have to wait till Christmas to stock up on supplies when I go home.

December 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm

That’s my name (sorta) :D. I’ll give it a go, but you’re right… not too cheap.

18. sustainablee
    December 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Reblogged this on Sustainablee and commented:
    Wow! Who knew that making a homemade jar of peanut butter could be so simple an affordable. Goodbye GMO, over-processed, sometimes salmonella infused peanut butter…hello wholesome, healthy, real peanut butter!

December 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

So easy, so yummy, so frugal! Thanks, Nick! I keep forgetting that I can make my own.

20. Chocolate Chilli Mango®
    December 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Totally concur .. just eating some lovely crunchy homemade PB right now! To that end, hold back about 1/4 of the nuts and add for a few seconds to chop them up nicely and you get the crunchy pb! It’s also really good if you add 1/2 tsp vanilla or cinnamon etc. Indulgent would be a little maple syrup … or chocolate. I love homemade nut butters and pb! So much cheaper and healthier. Love this post. Great way to reinforce the goodness :)

December 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm

That’s a good idea, I do like crunchy peanut butter.

21. trixfred30
    December 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

My those are some smooth looking nuts.

22. Growing Up Gluten Free
    December 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Just got a brand new blender/food processor and can’t wait to try out homemade PB. Just not sure anyone in my family besides me will eat it if it’s slightly chunky.

December 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Fantastic! Well, this isn’t chunky at all!

23. onceuponarecipe
    December 5, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I love homemade nut butters! And you’re right, they are way cheaper to make yourself.

24. TheSurvivalGuy
    December 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Reblogged this on thesurvivalplaceblog.

25. The Healthy Flavor
    December 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Ha! I just posted yesterday a 2 ingredient nut butter recipe too! Roasted Pecan Butter…out of this world….and made the best chocolate chip cookies ever, that I posted today. I love making homemade nut butters. Yours looks yummy!! :)

26. ripe red berries
    December 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Brilliant! I can’t believe I hadn’t thought to do this until now! Everyone in my family loves peanuts and peanut butter…I can’t agree more, preparing food yourself is not only better for your budget, it’s also better for your body! Thanks!

27. Michelle
    December 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm

So glad to see your post, after reading this just yesterday: http://n.pr/UcXHD5

28. crimsonprose
    December 5, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I so agree about control of ingredients. I’m sure that’s why my children grew up strong and infection free – as did I. It’s horrific to read ingredients in manufactured foods. But alas for this recipe – I don’t like peanut butter. Love the smell, but even with crunchy it doesn’t do it for me. But keep cooking. Great recipes, mouthwatering photos

December 11, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Exactly! Though, my mum didn’t really do that much (though she is a good cook) and I’m strong and infection free :D. Thanks!

29. Food and Forage Hebrides
    December 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Great Idea, cheap and a way to avoid palm oil and the damaging enterprises associated with it. This will be perfect for my chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. Thanks!.

30. Laurie J Ronan
    December 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Can you tell me the best way to keep this, refrigerated? Do you think jars could be processed as in canning?

31. erin
    December 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm

mmmm peanut butter… I’ve been meaning to make peanut butter for awhile now.. but with one addition..chocolate. mmmmm

December 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm

That sounds nice – give it a go and let me know 😀

32. aburgwin
    December 6, 2012 at 12:03 am

Can’t wait to do this! You are a considerably better writer than most of the blogs I read, BTW

December 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Thanks so much – I’m glad, because I’m trying to become a writer 😀

33. lifelibertyeducation
    December 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

Where do you get your unroasted peanuts? I don’t recall finding any bulk bins of nuts (off the top of my head) at Tesco or Asda.here in the US I can find them at a local store but as I am moving back to the UK soon any tips would be appreciated.

• Laurie J Ronan
      December 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

I have the advantage of living in SC USA so raw peanuts are readily available. I believe they are seasonal and available only in the fall and winter. You see vendors on the roadsides here selling hot roasted peanuts from a kettle all winter.

December 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm

We always have them here in the UK too! That sounds yum!

December 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I try not to shop in supermarkets, try a health food shop.

34. ladyredspecs
    December 6, 2012 at 1:19 am

I make all sorts of nut butters, pecan is my all time favourite, but cashew is good too. All power to REAL food I say.

December 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Great ideas! I’ll get round to them eventually.

35. jeksca
    December 6, 2012 at 2:28 am

Another great idea! Peanut butter is always more expensive than I want it to be.

36. artisticmilestone
    December 6, 2012 at 4:06 am

When I saw your picture, I just had to click it because Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods. I didn’t know you can make peanut butter out of just roasted nuts and salt until today. This is so easy! thanx! I’m definitely making this :)

December 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Haha – thanks! You can and you should 😀

37. Jodye @ Chocolate and Chou Fleur
    December 6, 2012 at 5:13 am

Homemade peanut butter is worlds better than anything you can get at the supermarket, plus you have so much creative liberty! I love to add a dash of vanilla to mine, or a bit of cocoa powder and brown sugar for a nice treat. The possibilities are endless! I once saw the idea for a “trail mix butter’ that included peanuts along with chocolate candies, dried cranberries, raisins, and I believe they may have even been some pretzels thrown in!

December 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Indeed! I shall be experimenting eventually! Particularly with the cocoa powder.

38. emmycooks
    December 6, 2012 at 7:08 am

We go through lots (lots!) of peanut butter at my house–I should make it more often. Fresh-roasted homemade nut butters are so delicious.

December 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm

You should! IT’s probably quicker than popping to the shop 😀

39. Indhu
    December 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thats a WOW….!! We make a peanut chutney in India, using couple of other ingredients too. I tried store bought PB once. tasted it and just put it in the bin. When peanut goes in any recipe It has to be a star. I know this is a star. And whats the shelf life of this recipe ???

December 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’ve heard of peanut chutney, the idea is a little strange to me… Shelf life is very good, been out a week now.

40. argylesock
    December 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

I was going to ask whether you liked Whole Earth peanut butter but when I looked it up, I found that it contains palm oil! http://www.wholeearthfoods.com/products/1

December 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’d already checked 😀

• argylesock
        December 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Yes that sounds like you! I’m sure that I used to buy peanut butter that contained nothing but peanuts and salt but I’ve forgotten which brand. Suma? Meanwhile I don’t eat peanut butter very often at all, now, because my digestive health’s not what it used to be (multiple sclerosis messes with all kinds of things) but I like the look of your recipe.

Did you see what one of our fellow bloggers wrote about palm oil? .http://anthropogen.com/2012/12/09/palm-oil-is-destroying-the-world/

December 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Of course :D. Suma may well do that… I’m not sure though. Thanks for the heads up – I’ll check it out!

41. anujapanwar
    December 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Just wondering wouldn’t it be a good idea to remove skin after roasting peanuts or does it add xtra flavour to it?

December 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Extra flavour and a bit more fibre – there is absolutely no reason, at all, to remove the skins – just a flagrant waste of one’s time.

42. egg me on
    December 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Awesome stuff here!

43. thelittleloaf
    December 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I love homemade nut butters and you’re right, so much better not to buy the jars from shops which contain so much other rubbish. If I do buy it, it’s always the crunchy, salt free version!

December 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Exactly! That’s fair enough – I might make a crunchy version too.

44. narf77
    December 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I made my own sunflower seed (roasted) butter the other day. I roasted the seeds in a dry frypan myself and put them into the food processor that grunted…groaned…spun and generally complained itself to a degree of heat and an alarming smell that NEVER accompanies its production of minced meat…I am starting to think that I bought a carnivorous food processor that is bucking my vegan attempts to use it at every turn! I almost burnt out the motor trying to make my own coconut butter and I am starting to think that the big brand name on its front is really just a cheap Chinese import…sigh…oh well… I guess I will just use it to mince meat…I had to finish off my sunflower seed butter in my large mortar and pestle…it took me 30 minutes BUT at the end of it I was decidedly mellow… no thoughts of strangling anyone were settled deep in my psyche any more and I felt like I was walking on sunshine (PLEASE don’t sue me Miss Katrina! 😉 ) so I guess there are benefits to going old school on your nut/seed butter 😉

December 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm

That sounds amazing :D. You may have burned out the motor :D. Mine was ok… I think.

45. Anne Bonney
    December 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

You are so right! Homemade peanut butter is so much better than the commercial ones. I also like homemade cashew butter – so delicious!

December 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Exactly! I’ll give that a go at some point if I can find some reasonably priced cashews!

46. Sarah @ The Cook's Life
    December 6, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I just made pecan butter the other night, complete with a touch of cocoa and sugar to make it chocolate. I am writing a post about it for tomorrow. All I can say is I had better not make big batches, because I am going to end up eating it all!