Broccoli, Cauliflower and Leek Soup

vegetarian, healthy meals, frugal, leeks

If there’s one thing that my blog has taught me over the course of the past few weeks, it’s that almost every ingredient can be enjoyed by all, if only it’s prepared in an attractive manner. For instance, my recipes for roasted sweet potato and parsnip soup and root vegetable mash have already proved that parsnip can be enjoyable. Likewise, this soup recipe has largely transformed my once obnoxious attitude toward the cauliflower.

The main suspect in the case against the cauliflower is the somewhat ubiquitous cauliflower cheese. You see, this loathsome dish tends to be one of two things; insipid or watery. However, it could be considered somewhat brutish to judge what was once my least favourite brassica, by a largely awful dish. Instead, why not follow my lead and enjoy the poor vegetable in this exquisite soup?

Of course, we must be careful not to forget the other two members of this culinary triumvirate, as they play equally important roles. Since the broccoli and cauliflower are both brassicas, they naturally support one another in terms of flavour. As such, this soup possesses a rather bold flavour, backed up by the freshness of the leek. Therefore, it has a very neatly balanced flavour that is hard to tire of.

frugal living, healthy meals, vegetarian, vegetables, recipe, food

Finally, you may have noticed that this soup contains what is best described as a healthy dose of butter, an addition my gastronomic conscience deemed essential. However, since such an addition has the potentially irritating and problematic effect of rendering the dish unattractive to those of you with infamous dietary requirements, you may be forgiven for omitting the offending dairy derivative. However, such an allowance only applies if you are either vegan or have an intolerance to dairy… Enjoy!

Broccoli, Cauliflower and Leek Soup

Serves 4

• 200g broccoli florets

• 200g cauliflower florets

• 1 large leek, finely sliced

• 2 small potatoes, diced

• 700ml vegetable stock

• 40g salted butter

• Salt and pepper

1. Fry the shredded leek in the butter until translucent, add the potato and then the stock, boil until the potato is soft.

frugal living, healthy meals, food, recipe, vegetarian, soup, vegetables

2. Tip in the florets, cook for a further 5 minutes before blending using a food processor or stick blender. Return the soup to the pan, heat through and season to taste. Serve with a hunk of bread and a slab of butter.

frugal living, healthy meals, thrifty, food, recipe, soup, vegetarian

Cost: In truth, we got the florets for 10p in a supermarket reduced section, but broccoli and cauliflower are cheap even at full price. Indeed, the entire batch of soup should set one back, at most, £1.70. Of course, that depends on the prices in your local area, but it’s rather difficult for me to estimate that!

144 comments on “Broccoli, Cauliflower and Leek Soup

1. loren24250
    November 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

The soup looks very good, but you might also want to consider cauliflower done in an Indian style (if you haven’t already). The spiciness of Indian food really elevates the cauliflower into something tasty. Cheers!

2. Green Door Hospitality
    November 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm

This sounds great! Love the combination of these three vegetables!
    Kenley

3. countrywoodsmoke
    November 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Lovely soup Nick, but I must disagree on the cauli cheese, yes it can be as you described, but has potential to be a dish of such comfort and warming heart if made with care to the ingredients, and in nature totally frugal…..may I challenge thee to rethink and have a go at cauli cheese once more, but with a thick unctous blue cheese and mustard enriched sauce?
    I’d love to see a FF version. :)
    Cheers
    Marcus

December 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Thanks! I’ve never had a go at cauli cheese… you think I’d mess it up?! Haha. Perhaps I’ll give it a go… I’m just not such a fan of whole cauli, but we’ll see!

4. sweetlab
    November 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I will for sure be enjoying this soup! And since I am neither vegan nor lactose intolerant, I will add butter to the recipe and feel great about it.

5. Alex Katzen
    November 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Yum! I love soup so I’ll have to try this recipe out sometime. I really like your blog and look forward to reading about some healthy affordable recipes! :)

6. fleurdeselsf
    November 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm

This looks delicious! I love the color! Yum!

December 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Thanks! I know, colourful soups are often the best!

7. laceyjbrown
    November 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This is gorgeous and easily veganized! Love it! Cauliflower is so versatile.

8. gettysburggirl
    November 29, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I love, love, love soup and this sounds fantastic. Can’t wait to make it. Thanks

December 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thanks so much – it was utterly delicious.

9. Jill
    November 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I don’t make a lot of soups, and am feeling like I should. Starting with this one would be a good idea, I think!

10. Patch
    November 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

It looks lovely and no doubt tastes lovely too. Wondered whether it caused any of the infamous broccoli and cauliflower side effects??

I also have to disagree about cauliflower cheese. It’s a favourite here, full of flavour and in no way watery. Made with Cauliflower, broccoli plus leeks and mushrooms and homemade cheesey sauce, sometimes with a crumble topping but often not… Totally yummy.

December 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Nope, none at all 😀 – no more than usual… (gross). I’ve ust never had a good one made for me and I don’t like cauliflower that much anyway…

• Patch
        December 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Neither do I but its so much better in cheesey sauce.

November 29, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Where did you eat all this terrible food, Frugal? The fault had to lie in the preparation. Nice spoon.

December 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Haha! I didn’t prepare it, I realise where the fault lay 😀

12. createengwp
    November 29, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Looks very rich to me 😉

13. nursefrugal
    November 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm

It looks so appetizing!!! YUmmy!! Love your frugal feeding blog 😉 Will need to add your recipes to my repertoire 😉

14. narf77
    November 29, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I might be vegan but butter is king of our home. I just don’t eat it :(. Why would you mess about with non dairy buttery type spreads when they just aren’t butter and they certainly aren’t healthy for you? I just don’t eat it…I sub with good quality extra virgin olive oil and at least I get to smell the delicious creations that I make for Steve ;)…(there aren’t any calories in smells are there? I can’t get drummed out of the vegan confraturnity because I secretly inhale the smells of butter and bacon and buttered toast and fried eggs can I?!)… This soup looks healthy…deceptively so. I love soup but haven’t actually ever eaten green soup. Must try this. I love cauliflower especially roasted (YUM!) so can’t quite fathom the disclaimer BUT I admit…I also love Brussels sprouts and Broad beans which puts me in the “clinically insane” bracket for some people out there 😉

December 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm

That’s a shame 😀 – though, not really… I don’t like it when people try to veganise things that could never be properly vegan… technically you are inhaling particles of meat and dairy, so… not really vegan :D. I guess I;ve never had a good one made for me… broad beans are all right, but I think brussels sprouts are another ingredient I’ll have to devise a crafty recipe for.

• narf77
        December 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hey…I have been the unimpressed recipient of half a stink bug in my chard once a long time ago…took me a fair while to eat it again after that little event! If we get down to the nitty gritty our food is FULL of life… anything that we ferment has life in it, anything that we eat has a nice fuzzy coating (unseen of course or we would all die of anorexia) of fungi, bacteria and certain inert viri who are just waiting for the right conditions to do their thang. It’s a bit like those Buddhist monks who walk along sweeping the ground as they go to stop them from squishing something…sometimes you can take things a little bit too far ;). Brussels sprouts are one of my favourite veggies and turn broad beans into a pesto fit for a king and no-one will complain. It’s all about the delivery and the taste and if you can deliver something that tastes good, you win! :)

• Linne
      December 7, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Would love to see your recipe for brussels sprouts and broad bean pesto, if you have time. I love all veggies, except maybe banana squash (I like a bit of flavour in them), and that sounded great. I could see using it as a dip for tortilla chips . . . or piling it on top of a baked potato . . . ~ Linne

December 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Blimey… ok, I’ll note that down. That would be yummy.

November 29, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Offhand I can’t picture 40 g of butter, but so long as its a good healthy dose, I’m all over this soup! 😀 sounds delicious Nick!

December 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Neither can I… I tend to just chuck in a knob, but some like quantities! Thanks, spree 😀

16. milz1001
    November 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I have been making lots of soup recently. This recipe looks really good, I’ll try it next week.
    Millie

17. An Unrefined Vegan
    November 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

The color alone makes me want to dive in!

December 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I think that’s one of the most attractive things about a well made soup!

18. Irene
    November 29, 2012 at 7:09 pm

great mind thinks alike…hahaha. I was planning on making broccoli + cauliflower soup for dinner tonight :)

19. cecilia
    November 29, 2012 at 7:23 pm

This is definitely my kind of soup, creamy and hot and the roasting must ping up the flavour, perfect.. Morning Fruge.. c

December 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Morning… though it’s now the evening of a different day for me… still, thanks Cecilia 😀

November 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Dude, you crack me up, I can’t imagine you not naturally loving cauliflower and parsnips, but then again, I don’t think there’s a vegetable that I’m not in love with. I like how you’ve only just cooked the broccoli and cauliflower so that they stay vibrant and fresh in the soup. Oh and thanks for adding me to your blogroll, I’m flattered!

December 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hehe – I just don’t… awful things :D. Oh yes, one must never cook broccoli for more than about 4-5 minutes.

• Somer
        December 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I know! Some people steam it to death! Gross!

21. lulu
    November 29, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Soup weather has definitely arrived and yours looks and sounds like one to try though I will be chuckling when I throw in the cauliflower!

22. The Vagabond Baker
    November 29, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Looks delicious, I love a good soup. I’m not the greatest fan of broccoli but it makes damn fine soup!
    The secret to awesome Cauliflower cheese is to use a good strong, tasty cheddar cheese and to under-cook the cauliflower so it retains some bite, al dente if you will. I rarely bake it or grill it, just serve it as is. Delish.

December 1, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Thanks :). I’m not either, but you’re quite right. I’m sure I could make a great cauliflower cheese, but I still don’t think I’d like it… besides, it was more a comment on the ones other people had made for me! 😀

23. foodisthebestshitever
    November 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Nice one. One of my favorite soups for sure…

24. GiRRL_Earth
    November 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Yum! I make (vagan) soups on a weekly basis — it is a staple in my diet. I think I’ll make this on Sunday — I cannot wait.

p.s. I agree with Somer, you crack me up as well.

25. hangtreetales
    November 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Can’t wait to try this!!!

26. annesturetucker
    November 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I love this soup – you are a true soup master :-)
    Thank you for another great must-try recipe!!

27. pantryobsession
    November 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Awesome soup :)

28. kimfitpossible
    November 29, 2012 at 10:43 pm

This looks delish!

29. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy
    November 30, 2012 at 12:15 am

Oh I like this a LOT. I am a soup girl and a Brassica girl, so you’ve got me!

December 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Fantastic! I think you’ll just have to make it 😀

30. Amy (Savory Moments)
    November 30, 2012 at 12:37 am

I love the combination in your soup. I love both broccoli and cauliflower, so I know I’d enjoy a hot bowl of this!

December 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Thanks – I don’t even like that much and I loved this.

31. wilphil
    November 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

Looks healthy and colourful. Will try this one for sure!

32. thatoldschoolgirl
    November 30, 2012 at 10:56 am

I think I will try making it this weekend, sounds yummy

33. Sandra
    November 30, 2012 at 11:24 am

Like you, I’m not a big fan of cauliflower, but I made this recipe tonight. I didn’t have vegetable stock on hand or time to make it from scratch so I used a tamarind stock cube instead, which I diluted because I wasn’t sure how strong the flavour would be. Turned out really great and was very quick. Thanks for helping me broaden my cauliflower world!!!

December 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Fantastic – great substitution. So glad you enjoyed it.

34. Allison Boroda
    November 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I just checked out your blog and became very hungry! 😉

35. opreach
    November 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Looks very tasty. I will try it without the butter though.

36. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    November 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm

You had me with the brilliant green color of this soup! I’m pinning it to try later this week.

37. Clare Cooks!
    November 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Looks delicious. Three of my favorite vegetables. I might try roasting them all before blending them up for a little extra flavor.

December 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks, I wouldn’t bother roasting them though, things like broccoli suffer from it in my opinion…

38. Sasha
    November 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

This is a gorgeous soup. I for one have no problem with cauliflowe :)

December 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Thanks! That’s great – it’d be up your street for sure.

39. petit4chocolatier
    December 1, 2012 at 1:12 am

The soup looks delicious and I love that you added 2 small potatoes!!

December 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thanks! They give it some much needed body 😀

40. musingmar
    December 1, 2012 at 4:54 am

The colour of this soup is so vibrant; one glimpse of the photo and I immediately dove into your post. Actually, I’d like to dive into this lovely soup (with a spoon, of course).

December 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thanks! I thought so too. Watch out… it’s hot.

41. Clark&Jordan
    December 1, 2012 at 5:09 am

This looks and sounds like a treat! Unfortunately, I had an allergic reaction to broccoli over the summer and can no longer eat it. :( Womp womp. Maybe I’ll make a batch for the husband sometime, though!

December 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thanks! It was exactly that! OH no! That’s such a shame.

• Linne
      December 7, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Is it possible you reacted to the sprays/fertilizers used to grow the broccoli, and not to the veg itself? I would try a wee bit of organic just to test it myself. But depends how bad a reaction you had. And that’s just me, anyway ~ always pushing the envelope . . . ~ Linne

42. Raphaelle
    December 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

Looks delicious : )

43. soffiagudrun
    December 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

love the combo of cauliflower and broccoli

44. Vinny Grette
    December 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm

This simple healthy soup gets a wonderful reception your readers – must try it !

45. Swedish
    December 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I just love cauliflower soup. We often made one with potatoes in it and then we had crispy bacon on the top. So nice :-)

December 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm

We were going to put bacon on, but decided we wanted to keep it vegetarian!

46. Susan
    December 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I adore both parsnips and cauliflower, and find them not in the least offensive, so take my comment with that in mind, but I do find that roasting cauliflower before using them in any recipe tends to eliminate the wateriness. Beautiful colors in this soup, Frugal!

December 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’ll give it a go – I have to do my own cauliflower cheese recipe now don’t I?

47. kylbeebee
    December 2, 2012 at 10:09 am

You can’t beat roast cauliflower – nutty and an ENTIRELY different flavour. Make a pearl barley risotto (dead cheap) and chuck it on top with a bit of parsley/oregano/toasted pinenuts…. YUM!

48. movita beaucoup
    December 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Oddly enough, I’m making leek soup this afternoon – a carrot version that is not unlike yours. I love the combination of broccoli and cauliflower in your version. I think if any two veggies were to get married, it would be broccoli and cauliflower. Just sayin’.

There is nothing – NOTHING – in my mind like soup on a fall day…

December 2, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Soup on a cold day can’t be beaten! I hope your soup turns out as well as mine did 😀

• Linne
        December 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Soup, served cold, on a hot day, too. Simple, nutritious, delicious! What more could one ask? ~ Linne

49. terrepruitt
    December 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Yum. I put parsnips in soup. Never thought of them before and then one day they came to my attention and I cook them up and puree them into a soup. I do the same with leeks. Just make leek soup last week. I have never been a fan of cauliflower until I tried using it as a stuffing for portabellas (which I didn’t care for either). And broccoli is a common veggie in our house.

Making a soup of Broccoli, Cauliflower and Leek Soup never occurred to me. I don’t think of using cauliflower except in the mushroom recipe. This sounds delicious and nutritious. I will have to try a version of it. Yummy. Thank you for the inspiration!

December 2, 2012 at 11:16 pm

They work very well, don’t they?! Give it a go – sounds like you’ll love it!

• terrepruitt
        December 3, 2012 at 4:47 am

Oh, I am sure I will. All those veggies in one bowl! A great meal! Thank you!

50. Runventure