Double Chocolate Flapjacks

Double Chocolate Flapjacks Recipe

Double Chocolate Flapjacks have always been a favourite of mine. This must be because they are decadent and taste delicious, but one always suspects that they are doing some form of good since they are composed primarily of oats. Of course, this may not be and indeed probably isn’t the case, but there’s nothing quite like a placebo for promoting blissful ignorance.

With these double chocolate flapjacks you’ll experiences a similar effect, though the dark, richness of the chocolate does tend to obscure the sense of well-being just a smidge. However,  there’s no need to feel righteous every day so forgiveness can be expected.

Truly these are the most exceptional flapjacks I have ever eaten and the most indulgent. After masticating upon a number of these one can happily expel from their minds any thought of the bog-standard flapjacks coated in a layer of poor-quality milk chocolate.

Feel free to add whatever superlatives you desire to these, be they pecans, almonds or raisins – though be careful not to add too many, you wouldn’t want to spoil the texture. Indeed, the presence of chocolate between each individual oat adds rather a lot to the experience – there is certainly no break in the taste.

Double Chocolate Flapjacks

Makes 12-14

• 300g porridge oats

• 150g light muscovado sugar

• 150g salted butter, unsalted is fine

• 4 tbsp golden syrup

• 5 tbsp dark cocoa powder

• A handful of raisins, sultanas or nuts

• 200g plain or dark chocolate, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 140C and grease a large, square cake tin. In a large saucepan melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup. Stir in the cocoa powder, followed by a handful of raisins or nuts and the oats. Ensure the oats are evenly covered. Press into the tin with a fork or spoon and bake for 15-20 minutes, until they are just cooked through.

Double Chocolate Flapjacks

2. Once cooked leave to cool for 20 minutes, before cutting, leaving to cool for another 20 minutes and turning out. Melt the chocolate and dip each flapjack into it, before placing on a sheet of foil or greaseproof paper. This dipping process is easiest with a mug. Eat once the chocolate has set, which should take an hour.

Double Chocolate Flapjacks

Cost: The only ingredient which is potentially expensive here is the chocolate – everything else is a fairly common household staple. The quality of chocolate you buy for the coating simply depends on your personal tastes. Here, for instance, I can get good chocolate for a relatively small amount of money. As such, these devilish treats should set one back no more than around £2.20.

114 comments on “Double Chocolate Flapjacks

1. rvcallope
    August 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm

this is really nice dear !!! very beautiful !!!

September 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

Thanks, they were utterly divine!

• rvcallope
        September 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

hi dear ,they really were very beautiful !!! would you mind if i invite you to read my blog posts ???looking forward for you. always. love rv.

September 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’ll take a look! Thanks.

• rvcallope
            September 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm

hi dear, thanks for this. hope you love reading my posts. love rv.

September 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Thanks, rv!

2. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    August 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Welcome back! And those flapjacks look awesome.

3. kristina
    August 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Your photos look lovely to me! I am particularly admiring that handsome goat. I think he wants some flapjacks :)

Can’t wait to try these, and hope you are having a nice holiday!

August 30, 2012 at 11:21 pm

The goat was AWESOME. Was a bit scary – it tried to head-but my friend, but there we go.

4. Bluejellybeans
    August 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm

They look deliciosos! 😉

5. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    August 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Welcome back! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip. And these flapjacks look delish!

September 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thanks! they were delish. More news is already here 😀

6. putneyfarm
    August 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Welcome back. “Flapjack” has a different meaning in the states, usually another word for pancakes. But these look great!

August 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Ahha – well, I’m British and I don’t want to confuse myself :D. Thanks!

• tanyamhudson
        September 2, 2012 at 3:37 pm

When I saw “flapjack,” my first thought was pancake, too! But these might just look even better than a pancake. :)

And, honestly, I wouldn’t have noticed a thing about the table had you not pointed it out. I thought the photos in this post were lovely as usual!

September 5, 2012 at 12:20 am

Haha – I suspect they do… I’ve never been a massive fan of pancakes… Thanks, but I had to make the excuse.

7. Juls
    August 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I’m amused by your frustration with the tabletop. Frankly, I was too focused on the gooey, gorgeous chocolate centrepiece to notice the off-pine woodstain and had to go back in order to appropriately form a criticism. Then I saw the chocolate again and forgot any judgement I may have formed.

August 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I’m a bit of a perfectionist so it really got to me… Thanks, Juls… you are lovely 😀

• Dina Avila
        September 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

How about I be the one to understand your pain, FF? The chocolate flapjacks look absolutely divine, the table surely has to go. The color is, dare I say, offensive? At least to those of us whose aesthetic around food, and especially food photography, also involves the environment in which the food is placed. I got your back on this one 😉

Also, you’ve now encouraged me to research a bit of flapjack history as, being American, the name has always been used interchangeably with “pancakes”. Although, I think that “flapjack” may mean different things to different regions of the US. Hmm, curious….

September 4, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Haha – it’s all right in the cold light of day, but for photography it’s utter crap – I’m only here until the weekend though then I get my beautiful table back! Curious indeed… you lot need to get your act together…

8. Karista
    August 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm

So glad your back Frugal and it sounds like Spain was a huge success! Your double chocolate flapjacks look heavenly and I’m going to have to give them a try. I don’t think they will last long in my house. :) Welcome back!

August 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

It was indeed! Thanks, Karista. I hope to do lots of posts in the next few days to make sure everyone knows I’m back 😀

9. ceciliag
    August 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Wow, those look decadent.. gorgeous.. what a treat, .. c

10. gwynnem
    August 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I’ve been waiting for my frugal feeding fix. Can’t wait to make these for me and my sweetie this weekend. I’m glad to hear you had a great time in Spain!

August 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Haha – sorry to keep you waiting! I hope you enjoy them! Spain was great.

11. Christina
    August 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm

What a fantastic shot of the goat. Would love to hear more of your trip. I was in Spain (Madrid & San Sebastian) earlier this year and would love to reminisce as you share your experiences.

August 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Thanks! You shall hear more soon. We flew to Madrid. It’s such a great city.

12. drgaellon
    August 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm

In America, I’d call those “granola bars.” (To us, “flapjacks” are pancakes, usually served with maple syrup or fruit compotes.)

September 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

Well, I’m dreadfully sorry, but I live in Britain 😀

13. Eat Healthy Be Happy
    August 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Flapjacks in the US are usually pancakes so I was intrigued by Double-Chocolate ones! 😉 These kind of remind me of no-bake cookies. The oats are cooked stove-top and the cookies are scooped out and allowed to cool.

These look decadent and delicious. =)

August 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Ahha – sorry about that… They were yummy.

August 30, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Frugal, one thing about you I really admire is when you go decadent, you don’t mess around! The goat looks up to the job of running ones rear off … I’ll have to get us one of those! :) Really nice to have you back!

August 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Haha, when one needs a blow-out one may as well do it properly… Thanks, Spree. That goat was amazing. I was lying right next to it!

15. mrswebbinthekitchen
    August 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Wish I knew some spaniards! Sounds like a fantastic time!! Also, spent the entirety of my time reading your blog post amused at your use of the word ‘flapjack.’ Guess that means I can eat them for breakfast, right? Kidding. I learn something new every time I read. Love it! They look delish… Like chocolate covered Quaker oats bars, but obviousy so much better.

August 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Well, the groom is my girlfriend’s English brother, so we know the Spaniards through him. Not sure I’d eat these for breakfast 😀

16. Kiran
    August 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm

This look just too good! Diet is definitely out :)

September 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

Haha – just have one every few days – they last well.

17. mamaseacat
    August 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

THAT LOOKS GOOD!

18. susiemaeday
    August 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm

These look totally delicious! In the States, flapjack means pancake so I was expecting a round cake with syrup–but this recipe looks much, much more exciting!

August 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Thanks! I’m British, sorry to confuse… but I’m sure these are nicer 😀

19. glutenfreehappytummy
    August 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm

wow those are making me drool!! :)

August 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

They were so nice (actually we have a few left as we’re trying to be good)

20. Rosie Baillie
    August 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

They look great, definitely going to be trying these out. I wouldn’t worry about the table, I’m too busy staring at the food to notice the colour of the table.

September 5, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thanks! You should, they were lovely. I’m not worrying too much about the table, it’s just a little niggle.

21. Aimee@clevermuffin
    August 31, 2012 at 12:14 am

Welcome back! And I have to say, Spanish weddings sound like the bomb. Australian weddings are the exact opposite, overly formal, way expensive and over half I’ve been to the bride ends up crying (why??). The lesson? Go to Spain to get married, and eat flapjacks. That was the point, right?

September 5, 2012 at 12:29 am

Thanks, Aimee! British weddings are like that… I intend mine to be extremely fun… My girlfriend and I did get asked to go and get married in Spain… the club owner said we could party at his club again… it was an open air club… That was totally the point…

22. Bam's Kitchen
    August 31, 2012 at 1:15 am

Welcome Back! I can’t to read some more about your Spain trip. These flapjacks sound so easy and would be a perfect after school snack for the boys. Take care, BAM

September 5, 2012 at 12:28 am

Thanks, BAM… These were great… not necessarily very good for them though.

23. theglobalgarnishgeek
    August 31, 2012 at 4:57 am

OMG. These look great. I fell in love with flapjacks in the UK. But I also learned that bad flapjacks can be awful, while good flapjacks can be heavenly. These look like they easily fit into the latter category. I will certainly try them…..

September 5, 2012 at 12:28 am

I totally agree… anything from a packet tends to be horrible…

August 31, 2012 at 5:04 am

I’ve never heard of this kind of flapjack (I was expecting something like a pancake, I think) but do they ever look tasty! More details about your trip, please!

September 5, 2012 at 12:27 am

Not you too, Korena! Oh well. At least you weren’t disappointed!

• Korena in the Kitchen
        September 5, 2012 at 12:59 am

No, happily surprised! But a double chocolate pancake doesn’t sound too bad either…

September 5, 2012 at 11:02 am

Well, I am glad :D. It does not… perhaps in idea for a future post 😀

25. musingmar
    August 31, 2012 at 5:06 am

I was thrown by the term ‘flapjacks,’ which here in Canada is another term for pancakes. I was trying to imagine what double chocolate pancakes would be like. So, you’ve provided a nice surprise and a recipe for a delicious, if unexpected, dish!

September 5, 2012 at 12:27 am

Haha – everyone’s saying that… I’m British 😀

26. Jasline
    August 31, 2012 at 6:29 am

Welcome back! The flapjacks look absolutely delish! No one can resist them… especially when they have chocolate in them 😉 Can’t wait to read more about your trip!

September 5, 2012 at 12:26 am

Thanks… they were devoured with haste…

27. Stephanie
    August 31, 2012 at 7:24 am

Welcome back! I always thought flapjacks were pancakes… but your version looks even more delicious!

September 5, 2012 at 12:25 am

Thanks! I’ve been getting a lot of that, Stephanie!

28. emmycooks
    August 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

Those Spaniards know how to party! We always say we’re on Spanish time when we drink until 10 p.m. before starting dinner. Not that we do that. Much. These look delicious!

September 5, 2012 at 12:25 am

Oh yes they do… though they tend not to drink before their meal… Thanks, Emmy!

29. NickkiT
    August 31, 2012 at 10:30 am

Welcome back 😉 I make flapjacks all the time for my family but I’ve never ever tried chocolate ones (with the exception of white chocolate & cranberry.) I’m really looking forward to trying these, they look so good :-)

September 5, 2012 at 12:24 am

Thanks! You ought to try them – they are divine…

30. Amrita
    August 31, 2012 at 11:53 am

Spain! I’m jealous!

And what are you trying to do…kill us with these?! They look like sin! 😀

September 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

Haha – they are a bit like sin, but more delicious.

31. soffiagudrun
    August 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

really nice recipe. madrid is awesome. i lived there for awhile few years ago. look forward to hear more about your stay in spain…one of my favorote country to visit.

September 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

Thanks! It really is a cool city. It’s probably my favourite, along with Italy.

32. idiosyncratic eye
    August 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

They look yummy. :)

33. Kammie
    August 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Holy moses, the chocolate — I am SO in lust with these! I just wish there was a picture of someone biting into one so I could, I guess, imagine it even better. Oh man though, great recipe! :) Looks great.

September 5, 2012 at 11:25 am

Haha, thanks! You should make them and imagine no longer!

34. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    August 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hola!! That was one fierce looking goat… next time you should offer him a Flapjack before crossing his path! Love this recipe.. especially that they’re dipped in chocolate!! Beautiful photography as always.. and glad to hear you’ve made it home from your wild wedding adventure! xx

September 5, 2012 at 12:22 am

Haha – perhaps I should… we did feed him actually. I have photo evidence – he was a little tetchy… Thanks, Barbara.

35. Stephanie
    August 31, 2012 at 3:46 pm

OH MY GOD, this seriously looks divine. I must make these!

36. Sarah
    August 31, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I have a recipe for oat, brown sugar, butter cookie bars that I recently found out are the same as British flapjacks. I think the addition of golden syrup would help them hold together as they are very crumbly. That is not to say I don’t find any way possible to eat the crumbs! A chocolate version is fabulous! I think I will have to cut these in very small squares…and then eat a lot of them.

September 5, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yes, sounds similar! Golden syrup definitely is a must!

• Sarah
        September 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’ll try it adding it sometime soon – when I need to make them to take somewhere. I have no self-control when it comes to brown sugar and butter and will eat the whole batch myself, if I have the chance. :)

37. Shira
    September 1, 2012 at 12:53 am

What a fabulous way to return to the blogging world Nick! This looks gorgeous :) I hope you enjoyed the time away! Love that goat :)

September 5, 2012 at 12:21 am

Haha, thanks, Shira… and the goat loves you…

38. Granny
    September 1, 2012 at 1:52 am

Always a pleasure to return here after a while “abroad,” in the sense of the inevitable detours within the blogosphere to discover what there is to discover. Where was I? Ha, yes. It would appear the aroma of double chocolate did not fail to call to me. I look forward to reading more about the Spanish wedding. It sounds like it was a fantastic affair. Did you make any of your expert concoctions for the bride and groom? Nota bene: I agree. I prefer your table. No offense to the owner of the current one.

September 5, 2012 at 12:21 am

Haha – I’m you’re home… I hope you’ve read my two latest posts, Granny! I cooked for the bride and groom a few times actually – they adored my food :D.

• Granny
        September 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

No surprise there!

39. Natalie Ward
    September 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

Ah Spanish weddings, yes. I remember my first, I was stunned by the informality. The kids eating crisps and adults talking all the way through the service. And the favours (i think they’re called) were a packet of 5 cigarettes with the bride & groom’s names on for the ladies and cigar for the gents, genius! I smoked at the time ( this was 12 years ago) and The Washer Up didn’t so I got both which made up for the complete lack of vegetarian food obviously! It was a good night I think!! These flapjacks look divine (or granola bars for our American friends!!)

September 5, 2012 at 11:09 am

There wasn’t much talking all the way through the service and the crisps were definitely on hold, but it was informal. We have favours – a bottle of wine and a cigar :D. You can’t go to Spain and not eat meat in my opinion – surely it’s impossible?

40. lambyknits01
    September 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

LOL – I’m yet another American who was confused when there were no pancakes to be seen on this post! Your flapjacks remind me more of a granola bar than what I’m used to :) Thanks for sharing!

September 5, 2012 at 12:19 am

Oh no… sorry again, but I’m British :D.

41. KatsHealthCorner
    September 3, 2012 at 5:35 am

I’ve always thought that flapjacks were like pancakes… I never knew this was what they really were! Thanks for this post! I just learned something new today! 😉

September 4, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Perhaps they are where you live… not here though!

42. So Does That Mean I'm Southern
    September 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

OK – I can just say ditto to thinking that flapjacks were pancakes. Thanks for sharing. YUM!

43. veggiezest
    September 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Those bars look fantastic and so densely chocolate-y! I will have to give it a try.

September 4, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Thanks! Please do, you will not regret it!

44. Kate Olsson
    September 4, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Oh wow, such beautiful bars of chocolatey goodness. Bravo, Frugal!!

September 4, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Thanks, Kate! Like I said a moment ago… they were divine 😀

45. Márcia Gonçalves
    September 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm

This looks so good!
    And, gosh, your photos are getting more beautiful from post to post! 😉

September 7, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thanks, Marcia! I’m sincerely glad you think so!

46. veronicacloudbusta
    September 8, 2012 at 8:01 am

Oh wow! These look amazing, will be giving them a go soon! :)

47. nomienomnom
    September 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oh my word, these look lovely! Definitely one to try, thanks for sharing!

48. diaryofc
    September 17, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks for the like on my post!
    These flapjacks look… absolutely…amazing! I’m going to try them out! :)

September 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm

No problem! Yes, do, they are wonderful 😀

49. Srini
    October 20, 2012 at 8:10 am

Hi there. What can I use instead of golden syrup? Here in Germany, it’s rarely available.