Honey Flavoured Frozen Greek Yoghurt

You were all right – making ice cream can be wonderfully addictive. In fact, you could say that my frozen dessert making exploits have turned me into quite the busy bee. There’s something special about the dulcet whirring of an aged ice cream machine that keeps me coming back for more. However, such an addiction causes obvious problems – ice cream contains cream, cream has the potential to give one a little unwanted flab. Clearly the answer to this is frozen yoghurt which is infinitely better for you and potentially a lot tastier. As it happens, this particular batch was utterly mouth-watering and the best thing about it is that it is an acceptable breakfast.

Four years ago, during the summer before university, I worked in a café that made its own ice cream – every flavour contained honey as a sweetener. That place, The Hive, sold arguably the best ice cream I’ve ever tasted; as a result, I’ve always appreciated the benefit honey can bring to frozen desserts. In this case, it seemed like a cracking idea to combine this experience with the classic breakfast of yoghurt, honey and oats.

There are a number of recipes floating around for this “fro-yo”, most of which inexplicably contain sugar. Please could someone explain to me why one would decide to add sugar to such naturally delicious and sweet ingredients and destroy them entirely? you’ll find none of that in this recipe!

Honey Flavoured Frozen Greek Yoghurt

Makes around 600ml

• 500ml 5% fat Greek yoghurt

• 4 tbsp pouring honey

• A couple of handfuls of porridge oats

1. Stir together the yoghurt and 3 tbsp of honey in a large mixing bowl. Tip into your ice cream machine and freeze for around 30 minutes.

2. Once the Yoghurt has become thick, creamy and frozen drizzle in the remaining honey and turn off the machine. Serve with toasted oats. This will keep in the freezer for upwards of 2 weeks, but make sure to defrost it for around 15 minutes before eating – it freezes a little harder than cream.

Cost: Greek yoghurt is an ingredient roughly on par with double cream when it comes to cost. However, unlike my recent ice cream recipe this doesn’t contain eggs or fruit – this makes it an extremely frugal dessert. Indeed, the entire batch should set one back no more than £1.80!

76 comments on “Honey Flavoured Frozen Greek Yoghurt

1. countrywoodsmoke
    August 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

Wow what a fab recipe, will have to try this one out in my machine. Have had varied success with youghurt ice cream, honey might well be the missing link for me.
    Cheers
    Marcus

2. Slowvelder
    August 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Sounds delicious. I will have to try it but don’t have an ice cream machine. I will do it the old fashioned way that my mother made ice cream. Going to the freezer to stir every 5 minutes. :) Great post!

August 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thanks! You definitely should! Bit annoying though…

3. movita beaucoup
    August 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Dear Friend,

Thank you for encouraging me to eat frozen treats for dessert. I like the way your brain works.

Sincerely,
    movita beaucoup

August 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Haha, do you mean breakfast? Thanks, Movita… nice letter.

4. Sacha
    August 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I make frozen Greek yogurt exactly the same way and as much as I love ice cream, I always have a contained of the Greek yogurt in my freezer, too. I will definitely have to add some oats. The other great thing about the honey–besides its beautiful, floral flavor–is that it keeps the yogurt from freezing too hard. Win-win!

5. Karen
    August 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I like the idea of your frozen yogurt as a yummy start to the day.

August 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

That’s different and looks good.

7. jessa
    August 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Beautiful! I want your table.

August 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

That’s my kind of breakfast!!

9. Meenakshi
    August 5, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Gorgeous! You make it sound so easy :) I have yogurt drizzled with honey every once in a while when there is nothing sweet around the house; I can only imagine how lovely this must have tasted.

August 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks! Nah, it just was so easy :D. It was deeeeelish.

10. Patch
    August 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I tried frozen yogurt recently, but a fat and sugar free version as I am attempting to lose some weight. It froze rock hard and even with leaving it out of the freezer for 30 minutes we still had to chip it out of the container. Might have to try the middle path and go for your slightly less virtuous ( but still better than ice cream) and softer version.

August 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Oh you don’t want to do that… besides you don;t need to go totally fat and sugar free to lose weight! This is only 5% fat… which is nothing at all.

11. thekalechronicles
    August 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I’m glad to learn that honey-flavored frozen yogurt is an acceptable breakfast food — it looks simple and good. I, myself, had Gravenstein apple pie this morning with my coffee.

August 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh yes of course it is :D. Blimey, that sounds like a good breakfast 😀

12. kristenhedges
    August 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Your posts make me drool. Thanks for being awesome!

August 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Haha. Thanks – compliments indeed… try not to make me blush.

13. Inge
    August 6, 2012 at 1:21 am

Pity I don’t have an ice cream maker while I think this recipe is great and a must try! 😐

August 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

You can make it without, but it takes a little longer. you just have to stop it freezing too quickly by breaking it up every now and again.

14. Jill
    August 6, 2012 at 3:08 am

I love that you use honey in this recipe. There’s definitely no reason to add any sugar. Delish!

August 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Exactly! Plus, it gives it a truly remarkable flavour.

15. emmycooks
    August 6, 2012 at 7:51 am

I don’t know why I’m not eating ice cream for breakfast EVERY DAY. Pardon me, frozen yogurt.

August 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Haha, yes ice cream would probably be a mistake… but this works nicely.

16. egg me on
    August 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Ha, I love that now you’re slightly closer to an ice cream-making addiction! This frozen yogurt looks awesome. I’d totally eat it for breakfast. It’s so simple too, which I love.

August 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Haha, I totally am. More coming soon too! This is probably the simplest thing I’ve ever made…

17. gwynnem
    August 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This recipe sounds delightful. I’ve never made ice cream or frozen yogurt. Sadly, I don’t even have an ice cream maker. May have to remedy that in the future.

p.s. I totally agree with you on the problem of over-sweetening desserts.

August 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I’m glad you agree with the sugar thing… it’s silly. This was so yummy. It can be done without a machine, but takes longer and is more faffy.

18. Robin
    August 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I generally have Greek yogurt for breakfast but I like your version best. Have you considered using maple syrup? It has similar caloric/carb values as honey and is also good for you.

August 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I have not, but perhaps it’ll find its way onto my blog. It;s very expensive here though.

19. Kelly
    August 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Hey Frugal! I love the idea of sprinkling toasted oats on top and that it can be eaten for breakfast. Fab! For those posters above who are lamenting the lack of an ice cream maker, I don’t have one but make ice cream all the time. Just make the normal way (no need to chiklm- just cool if warm), put in the freezer in a plastic container with a lid and when hard, cut into chunks and process until soft and creamy. Do this two or three times for the perfect ice cream. Yes, it takes a bit longer but it is worth the wait. Works with yogurt too, although I have found that jjust freezing and eating works well, if yogurt is full fat or has some honey added to soften it. Give it a go and you too can enjoy Frugal Feeding’s great frozen desserts!

20. bebe'
    August 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Hopefully after this I can get an ice cream maker so I can try the recipe.

21. Michelle
    August 7, 2012 at 4:25 am

Yum. (And no excuse for me not to make some of my own. I have the requisite skillet after all. :))

22. Bob Vivant
    August 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Thank you! This turned out perfect for me–so easy, it seemed like magic. I haven’t tried the oats just yet, but it’s delicious with fresh blueberries.

August 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Awesome, Bobbi! I’m so glad you like it so much.

August 7, 2012 at 5:18 pm

You are absolutely right about the sugar. Ruin it for sure! Looks SO so good Frugal!

24. accordingtocarey
    August 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Love the idea of the toasted oats as a topping, yum!

25. Clouds of Colour
    August 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This looks so delicious! You take very beautiful photos too :) Lovin’ your work!

26. susiemaeday
    August 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Funny you should post this this week! I just made my own version of Greek Frozen Yogurt last week, also sweetened with honey. Great minds (or stomachs) think alike! Unfortunately I don’t have an ice cream machine so I had to freeze and stir, freeze and stir….

August 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Haha, very strange – I didn’t rip the idea… honestly. I’ll check it out!

• susiemaeday
        August 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Haha! I know you didn’t :)
        Anyway, yours looks much prettier! I’ll have to try it with the oats. I used lemon in mine so it was rather tart but I love the idea of the crunchy oat texture!

August 7, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Well, thanks :D. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder… I have a lemon sorbet coming soon 😀

27. erin
    August 8, 2012 at 3:35 am

Oh my gosh. We literally just bought honey frozen greek yogurt [sorry, I’m American!] at the store the other day. This makes me wish I had an ice cream maker so badly. But I’m totally going to eat it for breakfast now! Score!

August 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Haha, a coincidence… totally get one… don;t apologise for being American, it isn’t your fault…

28. Liz Tesar
    August 8, 2012 at 4:28 am

I love ice cream! Love love love it! This looks divine.

August 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Perfect! I’m making this and topping with my homemade very crunchy, nutty, fruity, honey-sweetened granola! Cracky I say! :)

• spree
      August 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Though maybe I should have said something different… :) in any case, this is definitely going as a summer breakfast…maybe sliced peaches And granola on top…yes, definitely making this. Thanks Nick! Famous idea!

August 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm

That sounds lovely 😀

30. hannah
    August 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Love this recipe! We have been making a frozen greek yogurt using maple syrup and cardamom. But honey, with oats on top – why, that IS breakfast! Can’t wait to try it. (And like the earlier poster, I love your table top! Looks perfectly well worn and like a friendly place for a meal).

August 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thanks! That sounds so yummy :D. Yes, my table is awesome :)

31. kanzensakura
    August 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

wish they had a “love” option!

32. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    August 14, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Wow.. some frozen yoghurt is so thin and tasteless.. the Greek yoghurt and honey would be much richer.. and the addition of oats.. fantastic idea!!

August 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Thanks, Barbara… this was far from thin and tasteless 😀

33. whilehewasout
    August 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

So I could eat this anytime. Is that a nice enough compliment? 😀 Great recipe!

August 30, 2012 at 11:35 pm

That’s a very nice compliment 😀 Thanks.

34. Susan
    September 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

I had thought I was following you but I think WordPress unfollowed me, as I realized that your lovely posts were not appearing in my feed. I love this recipe. I covet your ice cream maker. (I am hoping I have dropped suitably explicit “hints” to get one at Christmas.) Lovely take on ‘breakfast.’

September 4, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Oh no! That’s annoying… I think quite a few have had this problem… I do hope you get gifted one 😀

35. Pam
    September 4, 2012 at 1:40 am

Thanks for stopping by and liking my post. What a great idea you had with this Greek yogurt! I must try it!

September 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

No problem at all! It was a really delicious breakfast and dessert 😀

36. peaceloveandsmoothies
    February 17, 2013 at 1:36 am

This is so my type of dessert! Greek yogurt and oats are two of my favorite foods. And sweetened only with honey… sounds amazing! Too bad I don’t have an ice cream maker!