Cinnamon Dipped Doughnuts

Cinnamon Dipped Doughnuts

Two years ago I’d never have thought of making baked doughnuts, the treat we Britons are led to believe provides the sole source of nourishment for every police officer in North America. However, the effect of a couple of individuals upon my gastronomic sensibilities has been catastrophic to the point at which I now find myself, unable to tell right from wrong. All is not lost – you may have invaded my kitchen, Yanks, but I shall never let you sully my grammatical skills.

To be honest, my intention to make doughnuts, not donuts, had been made clear before these came along. Katherine, cottoned on to this pretty quickly, and bought me a doughnut pan for my birthday. It works perfectly – this was my first ever attempt! In fact, I’m so impressed, despite initial scepticism, that one might find another batch appearing not to far down the line. As you can see, the recipe was kept very simple (me being rather virginal in the doughnut department), but the cinnamon dip was wonderful and not at all overpowering.

On a side note; do you like my new milk glasses? They are made out of 100% recycled glass and cost me a mere £5! They are so cool – the bargain of the century perhaps? I think I’m about to go props galore – I also received an awesome food photography book and the photos and all that they contain are making me mighty jealous. There is something really rather pleasing about searching out and buying new crockery, etc… anyway, this post has been rather short, sweet and self-indulgent – you have my apologies – so please enjoy my first ever doughnuts.

Naturally, not all of you will want to stray too far from the traditional deep-fried doughnut, and we have a recipe for that too. These Homemade Jam Doughnuts are far easier than you’d expect…

Cinnamon Dipped Doughnuts

Makes 12

• 250g plain flour, sifted

• 80g granulated sugar + 3 tbsp

• 2 tsp baking powder

• ½ tsp ground nutmeg

• A pinch of salt

• 180ml buttermilk

• 2 eggs

• 4 tbsp butter, melted

• 1 tbsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Mix together the flour, 80g of sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and stir in the buttermilk and 2 tbsp of melted butter. Add the wet to the dry and whisk until smooth. Grease the doughnut pan and fill each ring until almost full.

How To Make Baked Donuts

2. Bake the batter for 6-10 minutes, until the doughnuts spring back when pressed. Leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out. Dip each doughnut in turn in the remaining melted butter, followed by the remaining sugar mixed with the cinnamon – ensure a nice even coating. Serve as quickly as possible.

Baked Doughnut Recipe

Recipe for Baked Doughnuts

Cost: When one considers the ingredients used to make doughnuts one soon realises just what a rip-off they are if shop-bought. Indeed, this batch set me back a mere £1.20 – we sell a single doughnut in work for £1.10. That’s quite a ridiculous mark-up really.

109 comments on “Cinnamon Dipped Doughnuts

July 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Those are cool glasses! The donuts are Welsh :)

July 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm

oh Buttermilk doughnuts, baked not deep-fried. For a second there I thought maybe Frugal had abandoned completely his health kick! Clearly, not entirely! I’ll wait until your next doughnut installment to be tempted further and then I may succumb (to the inevitable) and get one of those nifty pans. These look quite the treat.

July 26, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Yes! I do hate to deep fry. Oh no, never! I’ve done SO much exercise this week, Spree. You will succumb, I promise. I shall make the post sooner rather than later.

3. Shumaila
    July 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm

You have a donut pan! luckky you! And I am a prop hoarder as well- I would rather spend on props than on clothes. I wish I had a closet big enough to accommodate this hoarding passion of mine!

July 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I am lucky :). I like clothes too though :P. I get cheap props second hand usually too :D.

4. idiosyncratic eye
    July 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm

You make them look so easy! :)

July 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Wow – am very impressed with these. Now I want a doughnut pan!

6. ldhankey
    July 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Cool glasses indeed. Doughnuts look great, but I have never been a fan of the American obsession with cinnamon. Apart, that is, from the childhood treat of cinnamon toast, which as the name suggests was toast with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled onto it, lightly grilled.

I was relieved to see that your doughnut pan was just a pan, and not an electric doughnut maker :).

July 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Thanks! I’m no American, so I don’t count… Oh no… what a waste of money that would be…

7. katonasoapboxk
    July 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I want to pick one off the screen and eat it in one mouthful! Nom nom.

July 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Love the glasses, the doughnut pan and the doughnuts! Looks yummy!

And North American cops eat other things too. Like beef jerky. And doughnut sandwiches 😉 Try it and you too can have their amazing physique 😉

9. Anastasia
    July 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm

They looks evilicious! I wish I was a NAmerican cop now! 😉 And the milk glasses do look lovely!

10. Jill
    July 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Ooooh, I love this! I love donuts (heh)! I also really like your glasses. Great find!

11. Beyond The Green Door
    July 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Love this recipe!

12. accordingtocarey
    July 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

ldhankey: I didn’t know we Americans were obsessed with cinnamon! This knowledge makes me wary of traveling to other places less inclined to partake of the cinnamon.
    FF: I am insanely jealous of those glasses, I’ve been on the hunt for the very same thing. The only ones I have found so far are at Starbucks and I just refuse to have glasses stamped with “STarbucks” in my cupboard.

July 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I didn’t know that either.. Haha – You’ll find them eventually :D. Don’t get those… I hate Starbucks.

13. accordingtocarey
    July 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Oh, and I’m pretty sure the policemen are eating fried doughnuts. And just to be clear, according to American Southern Tradition, they should be served with a side of fried chicken. Chicken & Doughnuts, it’s a real thing, I swear.

• Eat Healthy Be Happy
      July 25, 2012 at 12:44 am

Chicken and donuts is a little weird. I’d much rather have chicken and waffles!

July 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

BOTH ARE WEIRD. 😀

• Eat Healthy Be Happy
          July 27, 2012 at 4:25 am

Yes, but delicious. Both hot sauce and syrup are required when consuming chicken and waffles. :)

August 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Right – I’ll bear that in mind.. 😀

• The Opinionated Foodie
      July 25, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Chicken and waffles. The doughnut stands alone.

• accordingtocarey
        July 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Doughnuts vs. waffles: I must admit I have seen both and have tasted neither. Do you wrap the chicken with the waffle like a Pig in a Blanket or just serve the chicken on top? Definitely not CA Cuisine.

July 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

both are weird and you’d never catch anything like that in Britain 😀

• The Opinionated Foodie
          July 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Really? You’ve never had either? Amazing!

You serve the chicken on top. It is delicious. Come to the South, and you will find the dish anywhere along with several other weird combinations. I am making fried tomatoes for supper, as a matter of fact!

July 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I’m British – that literally doesn’t exist here… friend tomatoes sounds like the antithesis of anything I’d ever eat. They are supposed to be nice and fresh and are perfectly nice eaten like an apple. I’ve never really understood southern cuisine… but I don’t hate it… I appreciate it is a tradition.

July 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

That’s weird.

July 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Well, yes… I suppose they are. That’s so weird…

14. Mama's Gotta Bake
    July 24, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Frugal, great job! Better looking than any doughnut in LA!

15. Laurie
    July 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Great photos. Now I am going to have to get out my baked donut pan : )

July 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Thanks a lot Nick, now I have a doughnut craving. 😛

17. theintrepidbaker
    July 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm

oh wow and here i thought doughnuts were deep fried. And I’ve been trained to think that £1.20 was cheap for a doughnut!

July 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

They are usually, but I hate deep frying. I always think that baking is the better option that quite often yields better results. £1.20 for a cake is never “cheap”, though depending on where you are it might be reasonable.

18. highschoolfoodie
    July 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

These look really great. I am not a huge doughnut fan since I find them oily. However these sound great since they are baked. Thanks for sharing the recipe…I can’t wait to try it!

July 26, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thanks! These aare not oily at all, you’ll be glad to hear! I hope you love them as much as I did.

19. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
    July 24, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Baked doughnuts? Oh that’s much healthier! They look great too!

July 26, 2012 at 9:21 pm

It is indeed and they taste just as good (in my opinion). Thanks, Celia.

20. Leah
    July 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Doughnut pan for your birthday? That girl’s a keeper!
    I think my beloved would flip if I made these – man loves a good cinnamon doughnut! These look awesome!

July 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Haha – yes, she is. You’d better get making 😀

21. daisy
    July 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

Love the milk glasses!!! The doughnuts are great as well.

July 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Thanks, Daisy! One of my favourite ever purchases.

• daisy
        July 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

As I recall, your cast iron pan was quite a steal!

22. Eat Healthy Be Happy
    July 25, 2012 at 12:43 am

The glasses were definitely a great buy!

You do know that traditional donuts/doughnuts are deep fried, right? I’ve seen some donut pans floating around the blogosphere and have been intrigued by them. I’ve been wondering if baked donuts are up to snuff! They certainly look fab, though.

P.S. I’m taking that grammar comment personally. =P

July 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

They really were :). I do indeed, but these work just as well. I was sceptical, but they worked absolutely perfectly.

23. naturalbornbaker
    July 25, 2012 at 12:52 am

Mmm you’ve got the right idea. I’m going to put a doughnut pan on my list :)

July 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Haha, thanks… I think I do :D. Yes! Get one.

24. Shari
    July 25, 2012 at 2:41 am

You make me want doughnuts! :) Looks delicious, as always!

25. Mikan
    July 25, 2012 at 3:50 am

I do like the milk glass!

I admit though… I have a love for stemware and drinking glasses. :)

26. AmyCreative
    July 25, 2012 at 9:37 am

They look totally awesome! I think i need to get one of the baking moulds… :)

27. lickingthebeater
    July 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

i hope no one just saw me try to lick the computer screen…i can even smell them….wait, that’d be my cinnamon cookies in the oven (aussie who is obsessed with cinnamon, not american). I am so on a doughnut mission now, screw the cookies. and yes, your glasses are excellent. good job.

July 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Keep that to yourself… that’s weird… Thanks! I totally expect to see some doughnuts.

28. egg me on
    July 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Mmmmm. That’s what every cop in America just said. Because these looks great. And they’re jealous of your new milk glass. Okay, maybe that’s just me. Great stuff!

July 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Haha! you Americans crack me up. My milk glasses are to die for 😀

29. veggiezest
    July 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

OH, how I miss that I don’t live in the States! Mt favorites are the munchkins (doughnut holes)..the chocolate ones. mm-mmm!!

July 26, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Make them… I don’t live in the States either 😀

30. Cara
    July 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

DONUTS!!!! Nick succumbed to the *donuts* craze! I couldn’t be any happier to see donuts on the Frugs’ site. You are no longer a donut virgin. Donuts. Have I said donuts enough??! Nope. DONUTS!

P.S. Did you call me a Yank???

July 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Haha! I did! I shall make some more soon too :D. Yes, I called you a Yank… of course I did.

31. hobbykitchenist
    July 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm

These look amazing! I’d love to buy my own doughnut pan, but I can’t justify the single-use (or kitchen space it would take up, ha). I bet these would be just as great as doughnut holes though!

July 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Just use it LOADS of times :D. It’s a great purchase – though I perhaps wouldn’t have bought one for myself… though it is an AMAZING present.

32. thebigfatnoodle
    July 25, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I’ve seen a few of these baking trays around. Looks like it delivered a perfect batch too.

July 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

You should totally buy one, Noodle. They make doughnut baking SO simple.

33. Mama's Gotta Bake
    July 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Yay! Saw you on Tastespotting!

34. Willow
    July 26, 2012 at 1:01 am

Hahaha – superior grammatical skills, indeed! You’d better watch out, us Amer’cans can sully just about anything. 😉

And congratulations on your first doughnuts! And your birthday, and those adorable milk glasses, and the photography book… and everything. I’ve never made doughnuts before, and you make it sound so easy. I adore cinnamon, too, so these sound just perfect!

July 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Haha, you can indeed :D. Thanks, Willow. They actually were surprisingly easy!

35. onceuponarecipe
    July 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Ooh, can’t wait to try these! I bought a doughnut pan about 3 months ago that I have yet to use…and I love the fact that these are baked and not fried. Love those glasses too!

July 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

OH awesome – you totally have to use it, it works SO well. Thanks. Such cool glasses 😀

36. Spoon Feast
    July 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm

LOL! Yanks. Glad I’m a rebel instead. Although biscuits are just as bad. I think everyone has their favorite doughnut – raised gazed is mine – which supplies enough of a full blown fat and sugar rush you only need 1 in a lifetime.
    . . . umm maybe that’s why American cops are like they are. . .

July 26, 2012 at 10:10 pm

hah, yes it is good :). Oh blimey… that sounds dangerous…

• Spoon Feast
        July 26, 2012 at 10:18 pm

😉 We should talk abut other things! Nice milk glasses by the way.

July 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Haha, indeed! I adore them! My current favourite thing I think.

37. Laurie
    July 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I made these this morning – yum! – and wrote about them for today’s post!

38. Rebecca
    July 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Your entire commentary makes me laugh!! Despite our reputation, I haven’t had a doughnut in years and definitely have never attempted to make one, though I find all the homemade versions look so delicious, including yours!!

I did eat a significant amount of doughnuts growing up though, as my grandparents would bring a big box every time they came to visit! I’m finding that I’m not alone in that tradition either!

August 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I’m so glad – it’s what I aim for :D. You’re clearly one of the good ones haha. I’ve only very rarely eaten doughnuts… they’ve never appealed, but these were gorgeous.

39. lambyknits01
    July 30, 2012 at 1:08 am

I’m a sucker for new kitchen stuff! It’s my weakness…I may have to get one of these pans. It is hard to justify frying doughnuts, but baking them seems a little less naughty! 😉 Thanks for sharing!

August 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hehe, I love kitchen stuff too. You should get one – so worth it!

40. Karista
    July 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Love those glasses! And of course the doughnuts are brilliant too. Sounds like your birthday was a success. It also sounds you are loved and cherished as the family Chef should be. :)

August 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Haha, thanks! such cool glasses. I am cherished haha, and my birthday was so fun.

41. Kimby
    July 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’ve always enjoyed your mastery of grammar. :) I also liked the simple appeal of your first photo. Your new glass added to the appeal. Good eye — for doughnuts and props!

42. Charlie
    July 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

These look great, however I would prefer a flan.

43. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm

This is my favorite sort of doughnut (we spell it that way in Canada.. all things properly British over here, tut tut to those who write “donut”). I can almost taste the cinnamon crunch before the melting soft center. xx Smidge

August 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Tut indeed, donut it is not! You’d better make one then, Smidge!

44. amyeatsandotheradventures
    August 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

Feel a doughnut-shaped treat looming…

45. pigtailedpoet
    October 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

These look lovely! Do you think you could use the mix in a muffin tray if one didn’t have a doughnut tray? :)