Crustless Spinach and Ricotta Quiche

Crusts are all well and good; in fact, I’ve counted them among my many inanimate friends for a number of years. However, they also contain copious amount of butter and flour. Indeed, though pastry is mighty delicious, I have noticed that a number of quiche-eaters neglect to munch most of the crust with which they have been supplied. As such, this is a recipe for those of you who want to avoid the added fat, carbs and cost afforded by pastry. Of course, this idea is transferrable to most quiche recipes, but it had to be introduced somewhere. In any case, please give the idea a go since it makes for a delicious and, more importantly, light lunch or dinner.

Spinach and ricotta is a classic combination that, in this case, provides those partaking in the eating with a meal that is at once healthy, creamy and delicious. Indeed, the rather subtle taste of the cheese backs the stronger flavour of the spinach extremely well and in a rather surreptitious manner. At first glance one’s taste buds will struggle to pinpoint the exact background taste, but it soon becomes apparent that there is something preventing the spinach from becoming a little overwhelming.

Leftovers: We had a little of the quiche left the next day, so I placed it between two slices of granary bread and has myself a good ol’ fashioned sandwich. Though it pains me to admit it, it was rather nice with a little sweet chilli sauce.

Crustless Spinach and Ricotta Quiche

Serves 4

• 300g fresh spinach

• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed

• A little olive oil

• 100ml double cream

• 250g ricotta cheese

• 2 eggs, beaten

• Salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Fry the garlic in oil in a large saucepan. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Beat the eggs, cream and cheese together in a mixing bowl until combined. Add the wilted spinach and season.

2. Transfer the spinach and cheese mixture to a buttered quiche dish and bake in the oven until just set. This should take around 20-25 minutes. Once cooked leave to cool for 2 minutes before very carefully slicing.

Cost: The cost of this quiche will be a little smaller than usual since this recipe does not call for a crust. Indeed, despite the use of a whole tub of ricotta cheese the price of the entire tart should be around £3.30 – which isn’t bad considering its ability to satisfy four.

89 comments on “Crustless Spinach and Ricotta Quiche

1. countrywoodsmoke
    July 16, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I must admit to not really being a quiche eater, but this looks wonderful and very similar to a fritatta, love the combination of spinach and ricotta.
    Cheers
    Marcus

July 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I think you mentioned that on my last quiche post :P. It was yummy, Marcus.

July 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Very nice Frugal. Somewhat like a flan.

3. Jill
    July 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Looks delicious!

4. naturalbornbaker
    July 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This looks great, and you’re so right about the crust! Time after time I’ll made a quiche with a nice flaky crust (full of butter of course) and when I clear their plates the crust is all that’s left. Luckily, I don’t think it’s a reflection of my cooking… sometimes the extra fat and carbs are just a little too much.

It is kind of like a frittata, or you might even call it a naked quiche :)

July 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks! That’s exactly it! I like the term naked quiche :D

5. Patch
    July 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Mmmmm yum. I made one with a mashed potato crust recently. A nice crispy crust, without all the fat and flour.

July 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Dreamy! I tried a tofu quiche last night. Not impressive and clearly not the same as eggs :( A few other vegans have recommended chickpea quiches, so that’s next on the list. Probably another epic failure waiting to happen. I need to give up on some of the analogues. I’ve been making crust-less quiches for years to reduce fat, but I have to admit a prefer them with crust. The sandwich with sweet chili sauce seems nice as well, there aren’t many things that it doesn’t taste good on, which is painful for me to admit as well :)

July 16, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh no! I may give a chickpea quiche a go. Sounds interesting! That is true. I do like the crust, but I didn’t really miss it…

• Somer
        July 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I hear Richa at hobby and more makes a good one, need to dig through her archives and find it then “Somerize” it.

July 16, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Good luck :D. I’ll perhaps attempt one in a few weeks – from my head of course.

• Somer
            July 16, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks. If it doesn’t appear sometime soon on my blog, you’ll know I had another kitchen disaster, then I’ll wait patiently for the frugal one which is guaranteed to be a success. ;)

July 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Haha! You give me far too much credit!

• Somer
            July 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Hardly!

I think I was a better cook before I had little ones and a huge dog running about. I burn things now more often than I care to admit because I’m trying to multi-task and stop disasters occurring in every corner of my house. Ah, well. At least it’s never a dull moment!

July 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm

You are far too kind! Oh no! It must be difficult.

7. Juls
    July 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’ve always wondered what the difference is between a crustless quiche and a frittata.

July 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Frittata usually isn’t prepare in quite the same way, plus it tends to have more eggs, right?

• Juls
        July 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Is it simply that frittatas are fried and quiches tend to be baked? I think the definition of a frittata has been bastardised over the years so it’s very vague to begin with now!

8. sani panini
    July 16, 2012 at 9:25 pm

These pictures are great!!

9. Anastasia
    July 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm

That’s my favorite quiche. The only thing – I love adding dill to it… After all, I’m Russian…

July 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Lovely idea, though dill probably isn’t my favourite…

• Anastasia
        July 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I know, it’s a totally Russian thing… Some times I think no other herbs grow in my homeland..

July 16, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I like everything about this quiche Nick…except the crust that it’s missing. I’m sorry, I’d probably be the one at the table saying, “Excuse me, if you’re not going to be eating that last bite of crust, would you mind terribly if…..?” (I know, rude, eh? I could use some good British manners!) I like your filling very much though and may have to pour it in a nice buttery crust one day! (when I’m feeling particularly skinny. or maybe sooner, on second thought.) :)

July 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Haha – I’m so glad :). Feel free to put it in a crust. It was an idea, not an order, Spree :D

11. Aimee@clevermuffin
    July 16, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I want to make this. This is a dinner right up my ally. But here’s my questions to you Nick – what do you recommend I substitute out for your double cream? I just can’t bring myself to add double cream to my dinner. Evaporated milk? I’d hate to then have liquid in the bottom…thoughts?

July 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm

You should! Umm… A little milk and a bit more ricotta… just use cream, woman :D

July 17, 2012 at 12:13 am

I love looking at your eggs. This must be amazing and I too am a friend of the crust. But with filling like this? Crust, Schmust!

13. earlysvillefarmersmarket
    July 17, 2012 at 1:47 am

Lovely to look at and equally as good to eat. I am sharing it on the blog. The eggs are so fresh!!! Though I love a good crust you don’t really miss it when the filling is satisfying. Thanks!

July 26, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Thanks! I’m glad you like it so much to share! I didn’t miss the crust at all.

14. Keep Calm and Eat On
    July 17, 2012 at 2:02 am

I’m glad to see there are a few people like me who wouldn’t care so much for the crust all the time. Crust is good an all that but you can definitely do without one like this one.

15. glutenfreehappytummy
    July 17, 2012 at 2:10 am

what a gorgeous quiche! i love the flavor combination!

July 17, 2012 at 3:56 am

The colors are gorgeous, Nick! With something that looks so pretty, I don’t think I would miss the carbs ;-)

17. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    July 17, 2012 at 4:07 am

I have to say that I’m really enjoying your food styling and photography:D While I love a good crust.. we’re heading out to the lake soon and I know a swimsuit awaits, lol! I love spinach and ricotta.. a winning combination for me!

July 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thanks, Barbara :D. Haha – those pesky swimsuits. Yes, such a good combo.

18. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    July 17, 2012 at 7:56 am

What a brilliant idea – and it looks delicious.

19. Jay
    July 17, 2012 at 8:11 am

Crustless quiche doesn’t exist … it’s frittata then.

July 17, 2012 at 8:13 am

Frittata is prepared in a different way and the recipe is far from the same. The best way to describe this is in the manner I already have.

20. Estrella Azul
    July 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

I hardly ever eat cooked spinach, but this sounds great! Thanks for the recipe :)

PS: I really like spinach in this salad form http://goo.gl/5eAfP

July 17, 2012 at 5:27 pm

As soon as I saw this, I thought, “That would make a good sandwich.” Love the generous amount of ricotta, yum!

22. Bob Vivant
    July 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm

This sounds delicious. I’m staring at a big bunch of Kale on the kitchen counter. Do you think it would work in place of the spinach? I think you’re right about the frittata definition–it’s simply an Italian omelet where the ingredients are mixed into the egg mixture. They aren’t very creamy or cheesy–just eggy.

July 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Thanks, Bobbi! Yes, it would definitely work! I’m glad you’re backing me up :)

23. Simran S. & Stacie D.
    July 18, 2012 at 4:03 am

totally making this,…might skip heavy cream but am sure it will still be good.
    Pined to our board of recipes to try!

24. soffiagudrun
    July 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I have so much spinach in my garden, this is a nice recipe I will make soon. Perfect for lunch.

25. egg me on
    July 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Gees, how did I miss this?? I love quiche, and you can’t go wrong with spinach and ricotta. Looks great. So simple, too.

26. gwynnem
    July 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Hey, there Frugalfeeding. Love the presentation on this crustless quiche. I made a similar quiche/casserole and posted about it, but I used swiss cheese. Gonna mix it up next time and toss in some ricotta. Thanks for the inspiration!

July 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Hey there! Thanks. It was really yummy, I’m glad you feel inspired by it.

27. mydearbakes
    July 21, 2012 at 7:08 am

Gosh, this looks marvellous ! I’m so loving it! =D

28. Kimby
    July 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Much as I pride myself on my pie crust, sometimes even I lay it aside for the filling… :)

29. Anita Mac
    July 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That quiche looks amazing! Haven’t made one in years – crazy as I do quite enjoy, with or without crust! Love how you set out your photo – I don’t often photography food, but I find your layout compelling with the use of depth of field, focusing on the serving in the forefront. Well done.

30. Heather
    July 26, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I see you are really utilzing your new camera well Nick, beautiful pics!

31. Emily
    August 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This sounds great! I love crust, but often don’t have time to make one or have used up my extra frozen ones, and I just can’t bring myself to use a pre-made one, so this would be a great alternative. Question, I assume the answer is yes, but with the weather so hot right now (in Minnesota), it is not a good time for homegrown spinach, but I’ve got plenty of chard and kale. Either of those work just fine?

August 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thanks, Emily! Definitely better than a pre-made crust. YES! They’ll be fine :D

32. Samantha
    August 6, 2012 at 7:00 am

I make crustless quiches all the time! Mine tend to be on the refrigerator quiche side of things…(which similar to refrigerator soup and refrigerator salad, use up the little bits of things left in the refrigerator. It always turns out varied and delicious but makes it hard when people ask for the recipe). I don’t particularly enjoy making homemade piecrusts, and storebought is terrible, and since I don’t really like crust that much anyway….using a crust seems like an exercise in futility. Crustless is the way to go.

August 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Oh I see. I got confused about what a refrigerator quiche, salad and soup was. Crustless is great! I do like making crusts though.

• Samantha
        August 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

Yes, sorry. That is my shorthand for flavor combinations that are invented on the spot in response to what I have on hand.

33. yummania
    September 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

loving this

34. kateprihodko
    December 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm

ahhh, I’m gonna try these and your mocha mousse on Saturday! can’t wait :))

35. amintiridinbucatarie
    March 29, 2013 at 6:48 am

my quiche, the only one I tried to cook turned out into a mess, I ‘ll give it one more try with your recipe, hopefully I’ll manage to do it right :)
    regards, Oana

36. fiona155
    April 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for stopping by and liking my recent post, I am glad I found your blog this way. I love the variety of your recipes, all looks so delicious. Eating healthy but on an affordable basis is what I try to follow! being a student, and in my case living in the expensive city of Los Angeles now for an internship, sometimes does not leave a huge amount of money to spend on groceries. I’ll be following :)

April 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Great to hear and glad I could help. Hope the internship goes well.