Radish and Apple Salad

Around a week ago a friend from work asked if I’d like a bunch of his surplus radishes. As you will understand, it would have been impossible for someone as frugal as I to refuse such a generous offer, so I candidly accepted, despite not being the most avid fan of radishes. Upon opening the bag left for me in the fridge, I found myself rather impressed by the colour of the brassicas you see before you, having only previously used the shop-bought, perfectly spherical, uniformly red variety. The taste of the vegetables was also far better than I had expected and would clearly be well-matched with something sweet; hence the apple.

Naturally, the body of this salad would be rather light, so as not to disguise the texture, nor the delicate flavour of the radishes. As such, a mixture of salad leaves seemed the best option for which to plump. Indeed, many of the leaves also complimented the flavour of the radish rather well. For instance, the peppery rocket and fiery watercress, of which there was a little, has a similar effect on the tongue as the radish, which allowed it to play an effective back-up role. A good back-up it provided too, for as you know, it’s best never to mess with rocket.

If you’d rather try something a little more unusual, give my recipe for Roasted Radish and Spring Onion Salad a try…

Radish and Apple Salad

Serves 2-3

• A small bunch of radishes, thinly sliced

• 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced

• A handful of rocket

• A handful of baby spinach

• A handful of watercress

• 3 tbsp olive oil

• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar

• ½ tsp Dijon mustard

• A pinch of salt

• A twist of black pepper

• A little parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

1. This should be reasonably self-explanatory. Make sure all of your ingredients have been thoroughly washed before constructing it. Basically, chuck all of the fresh ingredients into a bowl. Mix together the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper until it has emulsified. Drizzle the vinaigrette over and give it a mix up. Grate the cheese on top, if you wish and serve with a little crusty bread.

Cost: Based on the assumption that not many of you receive free bags of radishes on a daily, or weekly, basis, the entire salad should set one back no more than around £1.70. That’s not bad for a nice, fresh, leafy salad. Indeed, radishes are in season at the moment and are, as a result, extremely cheap.

82 comments on “Radish and Apple Salad

1. lorrielorrieb
    June 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Wonderful! I’m on a bit of a radish kick right now so this is perfect to add to my collection! Thank you.

2. Original Pretty Pie
    June 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm

One of my favorite, unorthodox uses for excess radishes is to cook them in curry or stew, in place of or with potatoes or kohlrabi. They make a lighter curry than potatoes which I enjoy in the summer and cooking takes some of the zing out which increases their appeal to non-radish lovers. They do look great in this salad!

July 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm

That sounds like a really, really great idea! Thanks!

3. erika
    June 28, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Radishes aren’t my favorite either, but this looks lovely. The dressing especially. It may just have to be my lunch tomorrow.

4. Sarah
    June 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I’m not much into radishes (despite my gardening dad’s enthusiasm for them). Or tennis, for that matter. :) But I do love a good salad. Nice mix of colors in your salad. Have you ever tried shaving your Parmesan cheese with a vegetable peeler to get nice thin shards for a salad? Of course, I love Parmesan any way I can get it, shaved, grated, melted…

July 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for the comment, Sarah. Oh no! I adore tennis :D. I’ve heard of doing that, I’m undecided as to whether it is better. Parmesan is incredible.

5. putneyfarm
    June 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Looks good and we have radishes now and apples soon..can’t wait to try it…

July 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thanks! Our apples are coming on very strong indeed.

6. on thehomefrontandbeyond
    June 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I love radishes – thanks for a new take on them

7. otownmommy
    June 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

fantastic! i have fresh radishes in my garden right now. They are actually the only thing that is growing right now for me. I will definitely have to try this since I haven’t a clue what to do with all these radishes. thanks! :)

8. Shiny Tomato
    June 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

This salad sounds amazing, love the apple/radish/parm combo! Radishes are also good sliced thinly on bread with butter and salt and pepper…sliced thinly on tacos and…roasted whole!

July 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks! What lovely ideas. If I get any more you may see such things 😀

9. cakeboule
    June 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm

The image of the radishes is amazing! Such depth of clour.

10. Misky
    June 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Radishes and flaked salt is a pretty special combo, too.

11. fudgingood
    June 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm

That’s a beautiful looking salad.

June 29, 2012 at 12:54 am

I like the ramekin and the salad.

July 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks, Rosemary – I’m missing your comments.

13. Juls
    June 29, 2012 at 1:50 am

Radishes to me are like the pretty lit end of a sparkler. So vibrant and beckoning in their appearance I am eternally drawn to them and then find myself regretting it. I too am not the greatest fan of radishes but I hate being a person that ‘doesn’t eat things’ so I’m always on the look out to find recipes that will change my mind about foods I might have been previously dubious of.
    I know nothing of Tennis I admit.I get nervous seeing those fresh whites waiting to be grass stained.

July 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Haha – nice. I hate being that person too. Haha, that’s silly. white is there to be stained…

14. Just A Smidgen
    June 29, 2012 at 2:13 am

I love a peppery radish and the color and shape of your beets.. deep reds and purples with sharp white.. beautiful! This salad is on my “must make” list.
    ps I don’t follow tennis.. oops

July 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm

What beets? What are you talking about, Smidge?

• Just A Smidgen
        July 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Good grief, it must be early alzheimers setting in.. I totally recall what I was attempting to say but it typed out all wrong.. What I was trying to convey was the purply shade of your radishes remind me of beets… but of course, well, it didn’t come out that way, did it?? Apologies.. humbly yours.. smidge

July 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Haha, tut – you ought to pay me more attention :D. Haha – that’s quite all right, Smidge.

• Just A Smidgen
        July 2, 2012 at 12:55 am

But (she sputters) I do pay attention.. I just have these momentary lapses.. I rarely rush when I come to your blog frugal.. There’s too much to enjoy.
        Will you ever forgive me??

15. Michelle
    June 29, 2012 at 3:14 am

Hmmm, I’m thinking that maybe I need to only follow folks who live south me. Because I’m always seeing these delicious ideas involving ingredients that have just ended here for the year! (Oh well, at least there’s hope that radishes will reappear this Fall.)

July 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Haha – I’m dreadfully sorry, Michelle! Why not follow my blog 6 months ago?

16. kelleychisholm
    June 29, 2012 at 3:38 am

This looks awesome and I can’t wait to try it. BTW – If you have any leftover radishes, I make a great green garden salad with them, cukes, tomatoes, etc. I’ll be happy to send you the recipe – just drop me a line.

17. flowercityfoodie
    June 29, 2012 at 3:56 am

I didn’t used to be a big fan of radishes either, but since trying two new preparations I’ve changed my mind. The first way I like them is sauteed in butter, especially when accompanied by snow peas. Secondly, on a slice of baguette with butter & sea salt. Although both involve butter, so maybe I need to try this salad for a change of pace!

July 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I’m glad! I’m definitely beginning to change my mind. Those ideas both sound yummy. nothing wrong with a little butter 😀

18. Meenakshi
    June 29, 2012 at 4:28 am

Your photos are getting more and more beautiful with each post! I love radishes. I usually make a savoury Indian dish with grated radish and spices, but some things taste better raw!

July 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What a compliment; thank you! That sounds lovely, something to try in the future.

19. glutenfreehappytummy
    June 29, 2012 at 5:35 am

that looks so delicious! i love all the flavors going on in there! yum!

July 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thanks, Caralyn! They work so beautifully together.

June 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

Well, he´s out now….so we can focus on the real tennis! I adore radishes and I´m not quite sure why we didn´t plant any this year as they grow to quickly (space?). Gorgeous salad, lots of lovely peppery flavours.

July 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Exactly! I love Feds :D. You should have! thanks 😀

21. tanyamhudson
    June 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I’m not much of a radish fan, either, but I can see how the sweetness of the apple in this salad would balance nicely with the radish’s spicy bite. And how lovely it looks in the picutres!

July 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yes, Tanya, they work beautifully together. Thanks!

22. Willow
    June 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Heheh – I must admit, I know very little (next to nothing, in fact) about tennis. But I do know about salads, and this one looks wonderful! I’ve never been big on radishes myself, but I’m hearing so much about fresh-from-the-garden ones that I might just have to plant my own next year. Love the pairing with apple, too – great idea!

July 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

It’s such a good sport, Willow! You should definitely give them a go, they were yummy.

23. Spoon Feast
    June 29, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Love radishes but have no luck whatsoever growing them. Great combination of apple and radish.

July 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks! I’ve heard that they’re very easy 😀

24. Lonely Wife Project
    June 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Radishes are my absolute favorite! I’m definitely making this a staple. How good would some goat cheese and nuts be too!

July 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

OH yes, those sound like absolutely ideal additions! what a lovely idea :)

25. Granny
    June 30, 2012 at 12:07 am

I confess that I do not typically care much for radishes, to the point of occasionally grimacing à la “Nadal close-up.” Or perhaps I do not have enough imagination when it comes to concocting a good salad that includes these vibrant roots. Or I have been served bad radishes. Your rendition à la “British flair” is changing my mind. :-)

July 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I think people either love them or hate them, except for me – I’m in between. Thanks, Granny 😀

26. Shira
    June 30, 2012 at 1:33 am

Just spectacular Nick! My kind of post – funny enough this is the type of post I do the least – mostly because I eat my salads as soon as I prepare them (got to be a better planner)…I love a fresh radish when they are sweet! Well done my friend!

July 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thanks, Shira! I’m going to try and do more; I do love a good salad. Thanks :)

27. foodblogandthedog
    June 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

Radish & apple sounds like a lovely combo, will have to see if they have any at the market tomorrow morning so I can try it. I love the picture of the radishes btw, they are so earthy and pretty too!!

July 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thanks! Yes, you should. It was so enjoyable. I was stunned by their colours.

28. Sue
    June 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

What absolutely gorgeous photos, and one salad I’ll definitely be trying. It looks yummy!!

I obviously need to practice my food photography, I rarely get a shot as good as any of these.

I must point out though that this is neither Vegan nor Vegetarian with the addition of Parmesan cheese. Just thought I’d mention it as it’s listed in your ‘tags’ as such.

Sue xx

July 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thanks, it’s so nice and colourful isn’t it. You’ll get there on the photography. I’m still learning loads. I realise that parmesan is neither vegan nor vegetarian, hence it is optional :).

29. The Divine Hostess
    June 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Mmm this looks so good! I can also taste it! haha. Wow…

30. Heather
    July 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Such a simple earthy salad – fantastic!

31. Karista
    July 2, 2012 at 12:32 am

Just pinned this salad! Looks fantastic and would make a lovely summer side dish. Love the apples in this too!

July 2, 2012 at 3:50 am

Peppery rocket and peppery radishes sound like the perfect combination! That was a very good score, Nick!

33. crisgzr
    July 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I have always loved radishes, the peppery sparkle was as spicy as we got in New Hampshire when I was a girl. Recently though I was turned onto roasted radishes! Wow! you have to try them, a totally different flavor and really yum! So, if you have a good bit of them try roasting a few! I bet you’ll be surprised, I was.

July 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

That does sound great – if I get more I’ll give it a pop!

34. Laurie
    July 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

This looks wonderful.

35. JennH
    July 11, 2012 at 4:04 am

The salad looks wonderful! We recently harvested our radishes and discovered that the greens on top are also edible. Another blog has a recipe for radish leaf pesto that is wonderful as a spread for sandwiches. I also used it on pizza last night with grilled summer/yellow squash, fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese. http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2009/05/radish_leaf_pesto.php. As a fellow frugal feeder, I figured you would appreciate having something else to not waste any edible part of your windfall.

July 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thanks! I would have used them, but they didn’t look so goof. I shall definitely try it next time! Thanks.

36. Anna
    July 13, 2012 at 7:17 am

Great fresh salad. Love the combo!