Wimbledon Cake

Wimbledon is by far my favourite sporting event of the year, so what better way to celebrate it than a Wimbledon Cake? If there’s one snack that can be regarded as the gastronomic embodiment of Wimbledon, then it must be strawberries and cream. For many in Britain, the most popular event on the tennis calendar and its primary food-stuff go hand-in-hand. As such, it would have proved nigh-on morally impossible to produce this cake without it containing copious amounts of each ingredient.

If ever one feels that one would like to be transported, metaphorically (of course), to the inimitably quaint and traditional sporting event that is Wimbledon, one need look no further than the culinary item currently residing on one’s screen. Indeed, rumour has it that there are any number of illicit strawberry vendors on the premises of SW19 every year, just waiting to top your fruit with all manner of health-damaging dairy products.

So, is anyone else a big fan of Wimbledon, or tennis in general? Who do you hope will win this year? Will Roger Federer secure his 7th Wimbledon title, to match the number reached by Pete Sampras? All of these questions and more will be answered over the course of the next two weeks. Truly, I am in sporting heaven. Please, enjoy the cake!

Wimbledon Cake

Makes 1 rather large sponge

• 3 eggs

• Butter, self-raising flour and caster sugar, the amount of each should be the same weight as the eggs (roughly 170-180g)

• 1 tsp vanilla extract

• A large handful of strawberries, halved

• 2 tbsp strawberry jam, heated

• 300ml whipping cream, whipped

• Extra strawberries for decoration

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a square cake tin roughly 20cmx20cm. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, before beating in the eggs one by one. Stir in the vanilla essence. Sift the flour into the bowl from a height and fold in gently, until fully incorporated. Transfer this mixture to the cake tin and gently press the halved strawberries into the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden – one may listen to the cake to see if it has stopped cooking.

2. Once the cake is cooked set it aside to cool. After 10-15 minutes turn it out and glaze the top of it using the strawberry jam and a pastry brush.

3. When fully cool, whip the cream until it just about holds its shape and spread on top. Decorate with a few more strawberries. This cake will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge – it could also be frozen.

Cost: Strawberries, as you know, are rather cheap at the moment – they are also British, which means that they are sweeter and tastier than that Spanish crap we get throughout the rest of the year. Still, this isn’t the cheapest cake I’ve ever made at £3.60, though such a figure is hardly likely to break the bank.

121 comments on “Wimbledon Cake

1. Jo Blogs
    June 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Lol you hate Nigel Slater – I hate sports! ;0)
    Love strawberries and cream and hell, I’ll say it, I love cake too! :D. Looks delectable & nice use of the very traditional weighing the eggs method :0)

July 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

He’s so annoying. It’s a shame you hate sport, Jo. Weighing the eggs always produces a great sponge – it never fails.

2. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    June 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I’ve just sat down at my computer with a mug of tea … and oh gosh I wish I could turn that cake to life to go with it! I love strawberries, cream and Wimbledon … and I’m a Nadal fan.

3. Clarisse Shaina
    June 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Absolutely lovely cake! It is sporting heaven indeed, with Wimbledon and the European Cup ongoing at the moment. I’d love a slice of this cake to eat while I’m watching either, or both!

July 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Thanks! It is indeed! I can’t wait for the final of the football tonight. I have money resting on it, haha.

4. Chez Foti
    June 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm

A want a slice NOW please, looks lovely. Might just bake one myself!

5. Jen
    June 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I love Wimbledon! Watching it on BBC (at least from Brussels, but I’m guessing it’s the same in the UK) is so much better than watching it here in the U.S., though, because there aren’t any commercials and they show more matches. I am very sad that James Blake and John Isner have already been bumped out this year, but I think baking this cake may help me get over it quite well. It looks lovely!

As for Federer… I have mixed feelings. It would seem quite fitting for him to be the one to tie Sampras’ record, but I hope that if he does that it is as fun to watch as the 2000 Sampras-Rafter match that cinched the record for Sampras to begin with. That whole fortnight was great, actually, if I remember correctly.

July 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Yes, it is. Yes, the Americans have suffered a little, but not as much as the Australians. I could watch it all day every day if it were possible. I was quite young then, I don’t remember it at all. I can imagine it was amazing though.

6. thebigfatnoodle
    June 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Love it, and love the idea of the fresh strawberries pressed into the batter so they soften and add moisture to the cake. I’d happily tuck into that anywhere in the UK, rain or no rain.

July 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Thanks! Yes, that worked particularly well. Me too – it was delightful and surprisingly light.

7. thecakedoctorssurgery
    June 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

That looks gorgeous! I like to put a tbs icing sugar and a tsp vanilla extract in my whipped cream (makes it Chantilly cream).

July 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thanks! Sounds good, but not quite right for this particular cake!

8. glutenfreehappytummy
    June 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

how gorgeous! very regal looking:) i love wimbledon too! it’s only 10am and you’ve got me craving cake! uh oh!! haha

9. Sibella
    June 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

A great cake to celebrate a great sporting event! …. and go Đoković :)

10. Karen
    June 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’m not a big sports fan although I have seen the William’s sisters play each other. What I do love is your strawberry cake.

July 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

They are incredible – such a shame Venus now has an energy sapping illness. Thanks, Karen.

11. thedeliciousphilosophy
    June 26, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I can’t say I have ever watched Wimbledon but if it’s anything like strawberries and cream then I can confidently say I would like it. Beautiful cake! : )

July 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Oh you would like it, why not give it a go? 😀

June 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Love Wimbledon, love strawberries (and yes, British are nicer than the huge Spanish ones we send you…sorry about that!). Although we are big Nadal fans here, we (Big Man and me) are Federer fans too. Such style, such a gent. Hope the sun shines for Wimbledon fortnight :)

July 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Me too :D. Federer really is a bit of an idol of mine 😀

13. Karista
    June 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Love watching Wimbledon! And I think I need a slice of this cake too. :) Looks delicious!

14. bitsandbreadcrumbs
    June 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ha, ha, I just made a little square cake with blackberries very similar to this, but not posted yet. I love how you topped it with the layer of cream, it looks perfect. Much more appealing to me than Wimbledon, but to each their own sport…mine is F1 so perhaps I will consider this a Ferrari cake instead!

July 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Awesome! Thanks! Mine is also F1 😀 – I love it. But tennis is the tops.

15. egg me on
    June 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm

This is one of my favorite posts. Not because I’m a big fan of Wimbledon — but because I absolutely love the way you write. And this is a prime example. The British spelling (favourite!) and all your terms, it’s quite enjoyable. And yes, great recipe too. :)

July 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thanks! What a compliment :). It’s simply the correct spelling 😀

16. EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
    June 26, 2012 at 7:03 pm

My that looks mighty tasty! I wish I had some right now. Deeeelish!

17. Vanesther
    June 26, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Oh yes, I’ll have a slice please! Maybe with a cheeky glass of Pimms alongside?

18. lorrielorrieb
    June 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Oh what a splendid bit of cake! In the day, my roommates and I used to LOVE having Wimbledon parties. Even though none of us actually played tennis, we would dress up in white, eat wonderful bits of cake and refer to each other as “Buffy, Biff, or Brad”…….which was more a reference to what our view of stereotypical people who play tennis are called! Thanks for the memory!

July 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Thanks! Haha – that’s so cool. I’m called neither, Buffy (a vampire slayer), Biff (A cartoon character), no Brad (A silly name).

19. Savory Simple
    June 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Just beautiful!

20. NickkiT
    June 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm

That cake is simply gorgeous! I only wish I had some strawberries so I could go and make it now :-)

21. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    June 26, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I don’t intend on watching or following Wimbledon, but I do intend on making this cake – looks delicious and perfectly summer!

July 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Oh but you should :D. Oh well, I hope you enjoy the cake.

22. pumpkinhoney
    June 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Mmm, this looks so yummy. Strawberrylicious.

July 5, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Thanks! Strawberrylicious things are the best.

June 27, 2012 at 12:20 am

This cake (insert better tennis analogy here) um rules! I would watch American football if someone made it for me. That’s how good it looks. Not much for sports.

24. Shira
    June 27, 2012 at 2:30 am

A MOST amazing looking cake – you WIN Nick! You made my day with this, really. strawberries and cream are my childhood favorite!

25. mamagwen
    June 27, 2012 at 2:38 am

Looks delish! You can’t go wrong with strawberries and cream, hehe :)

26. Recipes for Serena
    June 27, 2012 at 4:13 am

Looks scrumptious! And very moist also. Yum! Will definitely make this one to enjoy while watching either Federer or Nadal win!

July 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Moist indeed! It was a good sponge. Federer hopefully, definitely not Nadal!

June 27, 2012 at 4:27 am

Love strawberries and cream, love the look of this cake, and love that food stylin’ tennis racquet in the background 😉

July 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Thanks, Korena! It is an awfully good combination.

28. alisonamazed
    June 27, 2012 at 5:31 am

Too fattening, too delicious, too tempting – though will try your sponge recipe. But what does the cake sound like when it is cooking? Does sizzle? Snap, crackle, pop! Or does it sing? Is it a soprano?:)

July 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Haha – it’s not THAT bad. IT just makes a cooking sound… it’s not a cereal. If it could sing it would be, I suppose.

29. Eat Healthy Be Happy
    June 27, 2012 at 6:13 am

This seems like a great summer cake! Gotta love home made whipped cream!

July 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks! Oh yes… can you buy it?

• Eat Healthy Be Happy
        July 7, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Well you can get the stuff in the aerosol can or you can get “Whipped Topping” which is more or less sweetened hydrogenated oils.

30. ScandinavianFemme
    June 27, 2012 at 8:07 am

YES! I’m obsessed with tennis (play myself) and especially the Grand Slams! As a dane, of course I hope Caroline Wozniacki is going to get her first slam this year, but she hasn’t been playing well recently… Federer is my favorite of the male players as well :) I actually met him at the US Open last year and got his autograph 😛
    I will try and make a Primal version of this cake, looks delicous, and just right to enjoy while watching the finals next weekend :)

July 5, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Awesome! That’s so cool – he’s awesome. sorry about Wozniacki :D. I’m supporting Serena. I hope it works!

31. Rhoda Kirwan
    June 27, 2012 at 11:55 am

I love Wimbledon and recently have started tennis lessons! I’m truly awful but it’s great fun. As for the cake, it looks delicious and I have been looking for a summer cake idea for my friend’s birthday. This just might be the cake. :O)

July 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Oh awesome! You’ll get better! Thanks, Rhoda!

32. movita beaucoup
    June 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I had to take tennis lessons one year as a child. It did not go well. Basically, my instincts tell me to run AWAY from a ball travelling at speed toward me; not run TOWARD it. I do admire the athletes at Wimbledon (and anyone with hand-eye coordination), though I suppose that doesn’t make me a true fan. I am, however a fan of the phrase: the gastronomic embodiment of Wimbledon. Dude, that’s money. Also money? THAT CAKE.

July 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Oh no, you want to ignore any instinct :D. Haha – I’m glad you like my… phrasemanship.

33. RecipeAdaptors
    June 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Fab photos, and GO FEDERER! :-)

34. Grace @ FoodFitnessFreshair.com
    June 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I love this post almost as much as I love the sound of that strawberry cake. Nadal’s my boy though, so we’ll see if he can kick some Federer-bootay in the finals :)

As for that cake, I’d love a slice right now. Breakfast at Wimbledon?

July 5, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Thanks, Grace! He definitely won’t get the chance 😀

35. realfunfood
    June 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I’m not a big tennis fan BUT I adore Wimbledon and this cake looks amazing!

July 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I adore it and Wimbledon – the best event on earth. Thanks!

36. divaofdelicious
    June 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Ak! I did an entry about having too many strawberries recently. I made preserves but I wish the timing were so that I could try this cake. I will try it but I doubt I’ll get such a good deal on strawberries this time…I’m sure it will be worth it what ever they cost by the looks of this luscious cake. Go Federer!

July 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Oh, dreadfully sorry I didn’t post this sooner. It’ll definitely be worth it – give it a go!

37. Jereme's Kitchen
    June 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm

luv the cake and tennis tie in. i luv wimbledon! one of these days, i’ll make it over there to watch it in person. i am curious how the courts will look for the olympics though

July 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Thanks! Apparently they are re-seeding them, but after a couple of days they’ll look the same as at the end of Wimbledon. they’ll be a little slippy, but not too bad. I can’t wait to go next year.

38. Jacqueline Raposo (@DustyBakerGal)
    June 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

39. Promenade Claire
    June 28, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Every time Wimbledon comes around I start wishing we had a TV again. It’s a fun event to go to, but there is nothing better than sitting at home with the telly on snacking away. And the cake? It looks perfect Wimbledon fodder

July 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Haha – you can watch it on the internet easily. Thanks! It really was.

40. tanyamhudson
    June 28, 2012 at 3:54 pm

This looks lovely. Also lovely: the idea of Federer winning Wimbledon #7. :)

41. grainnep
    June 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm

just watching Nadal while reading this… Wow some match and some lovely cake!

42. Just A Smidgen
    June 29, 2012 at 2:16 am

Ahhhh… who needs tennis when you can have this cake;) I should be catching up on my blog reading in order… now I know why you were discussing tennis.. xo

July 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Haha – I do! I do! You should indeed…

• Just A Smidgen
        July 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I’m so behind in it.. but this week should be a bit quieter for reading:) Have a wonderful weekend!!

43. Meenakshi
    June 29, 2012 at 4:26 am

Just gorgeous! I love the way you have composed the photo with strawberries on the tennis racket 😀 When the very short strawberry season comes round in India I shall try this out.

July 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thanks! Haha, it was a moment of inspiration :).

44. canalcook
    June 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I actually work in Wimbledon but still have not been to the tournament. I have been doing extensive testing of the best places to get strawberries in Wimbledon though, to try and get some of the experience. This cake looks like another great way to use them!

July 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Oh, you simply must go! I intend to go next year. It is such a great way to use them :)

45. huntfortheverybest
    June 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm

interesting, didn’t know that about Wimbledon. the cake looks great!

46. mydearbakes
    June 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Great post! your bakes look sooo delicious! =)

47. Aimee@clevermuffin
    July 1, 2012 at 12:10 am

A lovely take on the standard strawberries and cream – delicious!

July 2, 2012 at 3:49 am

I agree with you! Federer rules!!!!!

Rafa? Nice guy, but Federer rules!!!!!

And this cake rules :-) You Brits, er, Welsh do strawberry things so well!

July 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Yes, he’s nice… but I don’t like him. Hehe, you remembered.

July 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Have fallen so far behind on my reading Nick…sorry I missed this when it came out, but no worries here…our beautiful deep red sweet to the core berries are just ripe for picking now! (And from the looks of it, you’re loving your new camera!)

July 5, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Oh no! Keep up 😀 I really am loving my camera… so much.