Leek and Pea Risotto

Leek and Pea Risotto Recipe

You know, for someone who has never been a massive fan of the garden pea, I’m writing an awful lot of recipes that include them. One doesn’t usually ever come to terms with a pulse that was once forced upon you by a primary school dinner lady.

Nightmares were had; you can be assured of that. Indeed, they still aren’t particularly loved in this, very specific, corner of Wales – they taste a little too green for my liking – but it seems to me that their positive traits far outweigh their negative.

For instance, peas may be in possession of a rather suspicious green taste, but they are also ridiculously cheap and healthy. In my eyes, this paragraph is testament to just how good my pea and mint soup was – its taste was incredible, yet its main constituent was the humble garden pea.

One gets the impression that peas get along rather well with any other green ingredient, assuming that it’s edible in the first place. We have explored the pea and mint combination rather thoroughly already, so pea and leek seemed like a good pairing.

Indeed, my assumption was correct and they worked together particularly well, with the pea, as usual, providing the freshness at the end of the mouthful. Other than that, there isn’t much else to say regarding this risotto – it’s extremely simple, yet incredibly effective.

The Leftovers:

Why not try making any leftover risotto into arancini? These delicious balls of risotto are covered in breadcrumbs and either baked or fried. One may also envelope a chunk of cheese in their centres for that extra burst of flavour.

Leek and Pea Risotto

Serves 2

• 200g arborio rice

• 1 leek, finely chopped

• 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped

• A little olive oil

• A hearty glug of white wine

• 500ml chicken or vegetable stock

• A large handful of garden peas, frozen are fine

• A small knob of butter

• A large handful of parmesan cheese, grated

1. Begin by frying the leek and garlic together in a little olive oil. Once the leek is translucent add the rice and stir until it has been coated with oil. At this point add the wine and cook until it has been absorbed. Repeat this process with the vegetable stock.

How to Make Leek and Pea Risotto

2. Once the rice has become soft, but retains a little bite, add the peas and cook for a few minutes longer. Stir in the butter and parmesan and remove from the heat. Pop a lid on and allow it to stand for 2-3 minutesthis is the most critical part of the risotto making process. Serve immediately.

Leek Risotto Recipe

Cost: I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my supermarket has started doing their own range of arborio rice – this makes it a lot cheaper. As such, this dish should set one back around £1.80. However, why not try doubling up on this recipe in order to make arancini for a simple meal the next day?

87 comments on “Leek and Pea Risotto

1. ceciliag
    June 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I LOVE peas, must be a NZ thing and i am very tempted by your little risotto balls, they sound good too! have a lovely evening! c

July 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm

They are such a delicious way of using up risotto, Cecilia!

June 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

That dish looks incredible!

3. The Dusty Baker
    June 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm

How can you not like peas?!!? They’re like adorable little superfoods! I have to admit my odd comfort food is pasta with olive oil and peas. This recipe is definitely a major step up :) Yum.

July 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm

They are adorable, but there’s something about them I’m not quite sure about. That does sound comforting 😀

4. susartandfood
    June 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I love peas but my other half absolutely loathes them. I cook them for myself anyhow and make him okra when I do because I, in turn, can’t stand okra. This looks great!

July 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh no! I’ve never tried okra, perhaps I should give it a pop.

5. thebigfatnoodle
    June 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I go through phases of loving and hating peas myself but if they are cooked well, and not boiled to death, they can be pretty awesome. This dish reminds me of the risotto verde I made once, it sounds perfect for when we actually have a summer to enjoy!

July 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Oh yes, one shouldn’t boil peas to death – it isn’t the done thing. It will be… come on summer!

6. NickkiT
    June 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Risotto is one of my favourite meals – the cooking and the eating! I always like to have a glass of wine in one hand while I stir with the other, it always helps 😉 I love your pictures, stunning!

July 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Isn’t risotto so amazing? :D. Haha, that’s the way to do it.

June 23, 2012 at 9:07 pm

A beautiful risotto and I love arancini too (great childhood memories). Now, have you been rummaging in my cupboards and borrowing some of my terracotta dishes?!

8. Karista
    June 23, 2012 at 10:41 pm

You’re killing me with all your delicious food! I LOVE risotto! And I adore leeks and peas. This looks delicious and it will definitely be on my menu soon as I haven’t prepared a risotto in a while. My family will be thanking you. :)

June 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I love using peas in risotto. This looks fantastic. Really nice photos too.

10. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    June 23, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’m a great fan of the pea and use them a lot in risottos and pasta … but never with leeks. Sounds good and will give it a go.

11. pie and other drugs
    June 23, 2012 at 11:45 pm

This looks soo good! I’ve been on a pea kick myself lately. Also, thanks for checking out my blog!

12. theplumpalate
    June 24, 2012 at 12:22 am

Huge fan of risotto over here. It’s my pressure cooker go-to recipe. Also a big fan of peas so I’m thinking I *may* need to stop following your blog or something – not like peas!? Say it isn’t so! 😉 Glad you’re finding ways to enjoy them! This combo sounds delicious.

July 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I couldn’t face cooking it in a pressure cooker – for me it has to be stood over for half an hour since it’s got such a delicate texture. Please don’t stop following my blog though 😀

13. Sacha
    June 24, 2012 at 12:46 am

Good call on the arancini! I’ve had them with peas and liked them very much.

14. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
    June 24, 2012 at 12:47 am

We adore peas, and between our freezer and our garden (for the perennial leeks), we could make this without leaving the house! Thanks for the recipe. :)

July 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Fantastic. That’s why this recipe is so attractive, I bet loads of people could make it so easily.

15. Michelle
    June 24, 2012 at 2:17 am

We bought likely our last peas of the season today. This looks like a good use for them. Lovely photos, Frugal!

16. danyandy
    June 24, 2012 at 2:41 am

I love love love Risotto… not a big fan of peas but I don’t hate them… this one might be worth a try 😉 thanks for sharing! nice pics!

July 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Just try adding a few for a bit of texture/colour. Definitely worth a try 😀

17. Willow
    June 24, 2012 at 3:30 am

Lovely risotto! I’ve not much explored the possibility of peas… I don’t dislike them at all, I just never took a moment to consider them. They sound wonderful, here!

July 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Thanks, Willow – you should consider them, they are gorgeous.

18. Eha
    June 24, 2012 at 4:11 am

Love risotto, both the making and the eating, as someone has already mentioned. Use leeks in absolutely everything. Peas – thumbs DOWN most of the time, but willing to try in this – thanks for another ‘to do’ idea :) !

July 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Isn’t it simply divine?! Why not try just adding a few peas? They are extremely innocuous.

19. mydailymorsel
    June 24, 2012 at 4:12 am

Risotto is my favorite thing to cook. This looks delicious!

20. glutenfreehappytummy
    June 24, 2012 at 4:51 am

that sounds so delicious! i love the flavor combination! yum!

21. TheDorsetFinca
    June 24, 2012 at 6:46 am

Ooh peas! It’s my challenge this month to see how many things I can cook with peas. I can add this yummy recipe to my list now – thank you!

22. Juls
    June 24, 2012 at 7:59 am

I must also confess to not having much affection for the garden pea myself until last year but because it’s one of the only vegetables my other half will eat I’ve learned to love them.
    Your photography is improving in leaps and bounds since you got your new camera – it seems to be inspiring your creativity in shot, prop and food styling!

July 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Ahha – it’s best when one doesn’t have to learn to love :D. I’m so glad you think so, Juls.

23. Brooke
    June 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

This recipe looks great! I can’t wait to give it a go. I will often put peas in my risotto but hadn’t considered leek (which I love). I love the little burst the peas give to the mouthful of rice. The arancini balls are also a great idea. I’d never thought of making them out of my left over risotto.

24. Arturo Féliz-Camilo
    June 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Looks amazing! so creamy!

25. Shari
    June 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Lovely, as always! :)

26. JRJ2015
    June 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    If you try the Frozen Coffee Drink… let me know how you like it :)

Blessings,Renee

27. arzea
    June 25, 2012 at 1:15 am

YUM!

28. myfangalicious
    June 25, 2012 at 3:29 am

looks fabulous

29. Stephanie
    June 25, 2012 at 6:45 am

All of your cooking makes me so hungry! I love risotto!!!

June 25, 2012 at 11:13 am

Peas are fabulous, Frugal!

31. shuhan
    June 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I used to hate peas, but a fresh english pea is so deliciously sweet!

32. Eva Taylor
    June 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

What a lovely summer meal; the colours are particularly fresh. I used to love eating risotto out, until one day we were at a conference in Florida (Seminole Resort) and I was working out on the elliptical watching their closed circuit TV, it was their head chef making risotto. It looked like he was making enough for about four people, and I kid you not, he added about a pound of butter. Seriously sickening! I haven’t ordered it since. Trying to keep down the carbs, we usually make barley risotto, or quinoa risotto, both equally delicious.
    I like that you only added a knob, just enough for flavour!

July 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thanks, Eva. Haha – it’s sometimes necessary, but a knob usually does the job… Barley risotto is nice.

33. Heather
    June 25, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I have both leeks and peas growing in the garden, in my opinion there is nothing better than sweet peas directly from the vine – amazing! I love the idea of leeks and peas together- nicely done!

July 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Awesome! They must be delicious. You’d better make this 😀

34. tanyamhudson
    June 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Simple and beautiful! Love it! I’ve been on a leek kick lately, too….

35. soffiagudrun
    June 25, 2012 at 10:02 pm

very tasty photo and recipe. Good reminder to make risotto more often…

36. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    June 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

This is perfect! I’ve had a bag of arborio rice sitting in my cupboard for ages and have been looking for new recipes to try. I myself am quite a fan of green peas – I almost always have some on hand (mind you, they are of the frozen variety…)

July 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Thanks! Oh you must try it :). Mine were quite frozen too 😀

June 25, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I love peas (and in fact most things green) so I need no persuading on this combination. Risotto’s quite near the top of the list of foods that comfort. So only a matter of time before this finds a place at our table. (I like ours too with peas and mushrooms, and with some mushroom stock along with wine.)

July 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Jolly good, Spree. I hope you do make it, it was lovely.

38. cityhippyfarmgirl
    June 26, 2012 at 3:55 am

Another here who loves peas. Especially in a risotto!

July 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Awesome! I’m glad you like them, if you didn’t we’d have a problem – so many of my recipes have contained them recently 😀

39. Sammie
    June 26, 2012 at 4:41 am

wow this looks really simple and amazing!! Yes, you are quite right, peas are a delightful addition to almost anything and everything!

40. mixmakegrow
    June 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Looks great! I’ve never tried adding leeks to my risotto, I’ll have to throw some in next time :)

July 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Thanks! Oh you should, make sure they are small though.

41. alisonamazed
    June 27, 2012 at 5:06 am

…always wondered how to make risotto! Takes a special rice ahha! Thanks for the heads up on the ‘let stand’.

July 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

It does indeed and you really MUST let it stand.

July 2, 2012 at 3:45 am

Our peas are all gone for the season which is so sad because I would love to make this right now! Looks wonderful, Nick. No primary school lunch lady anywhere to be seen!

On an unrelated note, your blog is not showing up in my reader anymore! This is very upsetting. I might try unsubscribing and resubscribing. That worked with another blog…

July 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Oh no! Buy ome frozen ones :D. Oh good, I still have nightmares. Yes, try doing that…