Gluten-Free Coffee Blondies

As I read back on my previous blondie recipe, it occurred to me that the weather takes a turn for the worse every time I make them. Indeed, it’s raining cats and dogs outside – so much for British summertime – though it’s hard to say whether or not it rains because of blondies. Either way, these blondies are awfully delicious and continue to propagate the exponential growth of my love for ground almonds – they have simply the most wonderful texture.

It can be rather difficult to know just how much coffee to use in baking. For instance, it seems to me that when using coffee in a cake it can prove tricky to impart quite enough flavour to the sponge – hence the general need for syrup or icing. However, when making these blondies, which are nice and dense, it was apparent that they picked the flavour up really well. Luckily, I guessed upon roughly the right quantity of coffee first time. Though, if you’d prefer a stronger coffee taste it might be well advised to add an extra teaspoon. In any case, this recipe is probably a good starting point.

You’ll be sad to hear that not only is my garden underperforming, but my chicken’s eggs have become of such low quality that they’re hardly worth eating. They are too watery for baking, poaching, frying, meringuing (that doesn’t appear to be an accredited verb) and most other methods of egg preparation, with the notable exception of boiling. So, as you will see below, we are back to buying shop-bought eggs, though I shall never again indulge in anything apart from good quality, free-range eggs. Some carnivores do have a heart. Whether or not I am one such carnivore is for you to decide, but remember that it’s best not to say anything if it’ll make me cry! Such a thing would appear most un-British. Then again, perhaps my views are rather anachronistic – it might be the case that the entirety of the British Isles indulges in rather a lot of sobbing these days. I blame Jeremy Kyle.

Gluten-Free Coffee Blondies

Makes 16

• 100g butter, salted if possible

• 150g caster sugar, granulated would work too

• 2 eggs

• 2 tsp instant coffee

• 120g ground almonds

1. Preheat the oven to 180C, grease and line a square cake tin roughly 20cmx20cm. Melt the butter in a pan and dissolve the coffee into it. This may take a little perseverance, but it will work, I assure you. Tip the sugar into a mixing bowl and add the butter to it, mix well before cracking in the eggs. Stir thoroughly until the whole mixture is as one. Mix in the ground almonds.

2. Tip the mixture into the cake tin and bake for roughly 20 minutes, until a crust has formed and the entire thing has just about set. Remove it from the oven and allow them to cool a little before cutting into square and serving.

Cost: Ground almonds are a little expensive, though they can often be found on sale or in the reduced aisle. However, such an expense is mitigated by the fact that the recipe is so simple and requires relatively few ingredients. As such, these blondies should set one back roughly £2. Not bad at all!

97 comments on “Gluten-Free Coffee Blondies

1. luvnorcal
    June 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Looks good! Never had a blondie or heard of it for that matter. Maybe it’s a British thing? All I know is that we are big on cookies and cupcakes here :)

June 23, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks! Nope, I’m pretty sure it’s an American thing… We like cupcakes here too 😀

2. the Jilb
    June 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

You had me at “coffee”…

3. chewlove
    June 21, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Yummy! I have to try this!

June 23, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Oh yes, you totally should – ridiculously simple.

4. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
    June 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm

It’s certainly a very reasonable price for anything gluten-free! Looks dense and very yummy, Nick, I don’t usually bake with coffee, but I can almost taste this one.. :)

I’m sorry to hear about your eggs. Our girls are now two and a half years old, and the quality of their eggs is just starting to diminish. If you rescued battery hens, they would have been two years old to start with, I think?

June 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I think so :D. They are so expensive where I work. You should :D. We didn’t rescue, but they are like 4 years old anyway…

5. stilllearning2b
    June 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm

So simple and good,
    Yet appears so yummy.
    And, being gluten free
    Will be friendly for my tummy!

6. Jereme's Kitchen
    June 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

i luv finding all this gluten-free stuff because i need to increase my repertoire

7. Ingrid
    June 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Love ground almonds, shame its so expensive! These look delish too :)

June 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks, Ingrid. It’s definitely a shame – but I’ll survive 😀

8. the second serving
    June 22, 2012 at 1:36 am

Love anything almond!!!

June 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I’m getting that way – I used to hate almond too.

June 22, 2012 at 2:40 am

Your blondies look wonderful. I am sorry to hear that your chickens are laying watery eggs. That’s not cool.

It is cool to see eggs stamped with the crown. I kind of miss that.

June 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Not cool at all, Daisy. I’m very sad :D. I know – so cute!

10. egg me on
    June 22, 2012 at 2:48 am

Great looking blondies! I love recipes that use instant coffee … really gives stuff a great coffee flavor. I’m glad you worked out the perfect instant coffee to flavor ratio. Plop some vanilla ice cream (or coffee ice cream) on top of one of these, and I’d be all set.

June 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thanks! It works so well, doesn’t it – not so good for drinking though :D. Oh yes, I had it with ice cream – divine!

11. Just A Smidgen
    June 22, 2012 at 4:11 am

Hmmm… so Blondies are causing all of this rain?? Perhaps it’s the rain that’s causing all of those Blondies to appear.. most definitely the rain is likely the reason for devouring of said Blondies. I’ll have one of those with a shot of espresso on the side before braving the downpour:)

• Just A Smidgen
      June 22, 2012 at 4:13 am

p.s. I only use free-run eggs, I have a heart
      p.p.s. who is Jeremy Kyle??

June 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Yes, I think they must be… Haha. That sounds SO great :D. I need a proper coffee machine.

12. Nina
    June 22, 2012 at 4:16 am

Aaah, another lovely looking slice. Given my success with doing a vegan version of your Cheesecake Swirled Brownie and going to give a vegan version of this a go too.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

June 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks! I hope they go well, Nina – I’m sure they will.

13. Juls
    June 22, 2012 at 4:29 am

I’m never really one for sweeties, but your sweeties always look fabulous and I do agree with what you observed the first time you had a gluten free brownie – in many cases, the absence of traditional flour often keeps the product moister and more flavourful.
    Sorry to hear about your feathery ladies and their eggs :( I expect it would be difficult after having had the fresh abundance of properly free range eggs for a long while to have anything that wasn’t quite the best. It’s always a misconception that being frugal towards your food means one has to be cheap and stingy about it; frugality is about having awareness towards your food and awareness will actually aid a person to be able to eat to their personal ethics without breaking the bank – one good point your blog consistently proves.

June 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hehe, thanks, Juls – you’re too kind. It is rather difficult to bear, but I’ll survive. I’m glad you understand the frugality 😀 I like it when people understand me.

14. glutenfreehappytummy
    June 22, 2012 at 4:56 am

oh my gosh that sounds so delicious! and they’re gluten free!!!! yay!

15. Karista
    June 22, 2012 at 5:35 am

Yay!! I have a gluten free teenager in the house and this looks so perfect! And almonds are so good for us. What a lovely recipe Frugal. Thanks for posting!

June 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Awesome, Karista! I hope you like them, if you make them that is. No problem 😀

• Karista
        June 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh I’ll be making these for sure! Have a lovely weekend!

16. Michelle
    June 22, 2012 at 5:36 am

Those blondies look really good, gluten-free or no! Why do you think your hens are laying watery eggs? We had that problem once, but attributed it to the breed (some rather industrial Comets we found ourselves with for a short time). Once we switched back to heritage breeds, no more problems.

June 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thanks, Michelle! It’s just because they’re very old… nothing else has changed.

17. Shari
    June 22, 2012 at 5:42 am

lovely!

18. Stephanie
    June 22, 2012 at 6:20 am

These look delicious! I love coffee added to brownies, but have never tried it in blondies. Cute egg stamps!

June 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thanks, Stephanie! You should totally try it :D.

19. Eat Healthy Be Happy
    June 22, 2012 at 6:38 am

Oh my gosh, those look dense and fudgy and amazing. Almonds + coffee sounds like heaven!

June 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm

That’s exactly what they were :D. Totally heavenly, especially with some vanilla ice cream.

20. Rhoda Kirwan
    June 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

These sound yum, to be honest you had me at ground almonds, I love almonds in all shape and from. By the way, I think I will definitely start using ‘Meringuing’ as an accredited verb. I like it!!

June 23, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Awesome. Yes, we should both start using it – get it into the dictionary.

21. Rhoda Kirwan
    June 22, 2012 at 11:33 am

P.S. your Blondies are causing a lot of rain in Ireland too. Maybe take a break from making them for a while. I need some sun!

June 23, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Haha – I shall. There will be no more blondies!

22. cupboardsurprise
    June 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Now i know who to blame for the rain! These do look delicious though.

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Beautiful – anything with coffee is good for me! I wonder why your chickens eggs have changed – diet? weather?

June 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Thanks, Tanya! They are simply getting old!

• Chica Andaluza
        June 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I expect they have had very happy lives though and are now enjoying their “retirement”!

24. Sibella
    June 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Lovely blondies!

25. Heather
    June 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your Garden and Chickens – maybe with a bit of luck and sunshine your garden will spring back to life!

I love the idea of adding coffee to a classic blondie recipe – I too have been loving almond meal, amazing stuff :)

June 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks! The garden is in life, but the dry spell struck at the critical time. It is SO good isn’t it?!

26. Cultural Life
    June 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

“Oh yum!” was my reaction to the title!

It’s strange….I was thinking about baking something with coffee yesterday and then this post arrived into my inbox. Good timing! :)

I have a question though. Do you think it would work okay to use ground coffee (as opposed to instant) in the recipe? I only have ground coffee in the store cupboard as I’m not an instant coffee drinker. And if so, any suggestions for quantity?

June 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Awesome :D. Haha – I’m glad it came at the right time! I’d probably advise getting some instant because it impart a better flavour. But you could try using a REALLY strong shot of ground.

• Cultural Life
        June 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the recipe. :) I ‘borrowed’ a couple of teaspoons of instant from a friend and I took the blondies out of the oven about an hour ago. They are simply divine!

27. Laura Conowitch
    June 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm

You’ve been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award:

28. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    June 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Oh yum. I have never made blondies before, but I clearly need to change that as soon as possible. I would love a piece of these with a hot cup of tea on a chilly rainy day!

June 23, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Oh you must – they are fantastic. That sounds yummy.

June 23, 2012 at 5:42 am

These look like a great cure for a rainy day (it’s absolutely pissing rain here, too). I love making baked goods with coffee, they always smell so amazing in the oven!

June 23, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Oh they were, Korena! That’s a shame. they do, don’t they?

30. Aimee@clevermuffin
    June 24, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Rain dance brownies? Perhaps I should try them over here when we’re mid drought. They look awesome, British eggs and all :)

July 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Haha, you totally should, Aimee – British eggs; of course.

31. acakediva
    June 25, 2012 at 3:11 am

Oh my. It had never occurred to me that coffee would be a fantastic addition for blondies. Genius! By the way, “meringuing” is most certainly an accredited verb, at least in my book. :)

July 5, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Yes, it works very well. Haha – is it a dictionary?

32. Cara
    June 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You made these for me didn’t you??? You were hoping that I would come over and join you for a Blondie or 2 and some tea. Just admit it.

33. Shumaila
    June 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

What I would give for some rain here in Arizona! I should make these blondies, maybe the rain gods would pay us a visit as well!

34. cakeboule
    June 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm

So I can blame all the rain on you? Cool! Gluten free blondies ah you have me there and on my list. Of course in true Cakeboule I get there in the end style I tend to comment in threes so here goes!

July 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Yes, probably… Thanks, Jacqueline. You made it 😀

35. tanyamhudson
    June 25, 2012 at 10:40 pm

These look amazing! I have a few GF friends who I’ll bet will love it if I made them some of these. :)

36. Willow
    June 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Ooh, those blondies sound incredible! I love how simple the recipe is, considering it’s entirely gluten-free. Well done!
    And I’m sorry to hear about your chickens! I don’t have chickens of my own, but try to buy from a farm down the road whenever possible. When I can’t get them there, it’s straight to the free-range, organic-fed carton at the store. Better eggs (and fresher ingredients in general) really do make a difference in cooking and baking!

July 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks, Willow! Yes, it’s a shame about the chickens. That’s really good practice. I’ll try and source good eggs all the time.

37. lisacostabirnaturopath
    June 27, 2012 at 3:42 am

These look great. always on the hunt for gluten free goodness :)

38. Meenakshi
    June 29, 2012 at 4:23 am

Almonds seem to be expensive all over the world! But I guess they are worth it for the amazing flavour they impart. The pictures are gorgeous. Sorry to hear about your garden and the chicken eggs- in case it makes you feel better, we are having a very poor monsoon in India and some of my plants are under the weather too!

July 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Indeed they are :D. Oh no! I’m sorry for your horticultural struggles!

39. leroywatson4
    July 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I’d never heard of this variety of ‘blondie’, they look like a rich little slab of fun. Loving the blog. Happy days, lee

July 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Oh you must try them, they certainly are fun and rich.

40. Christina Hunter
    July 11, 2012 at 8:57 am

I made these this weekend! I can confirm they are yummy, http://fattyhunter.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/back-to-baking/

41. thekalechronicles
    July 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

How did I miss these? Oh. I was in France — that explains it. I’ll be making them soon: I can’t resist things flavored with coffee.

July 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Tut… don’t go to France if you’re going to miss my stuff, haha. I hope you had a good visit. Coffee is the best…

42. schanaserin
    October 31, 2012 at 1:38 am

Mmmm, I’m going to give these a try but with decaf coffee, dairy free spread and cashew meal due to my middle son’s food intolerances….and cos caffeine is no good for kiddies :)

43. Katie
    March 21, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Would this work without the sugar?

44. Amy Leeson
    October 1, 2014 at 8:54 am

These are brilliant, i needed a bigger batch for a fundraising coffee morning so I doubled the recipe. I managed to keep the cost even lower by using half ground almonds and half semolina and it worked really well. Simply gorgeous recipe, thank you.