Keeping Alive Tradition #4: Glamorgan Sausages (Vegetarian)

The Glamorgan Sausage, or Selsig Morgannwg, is a traditional vegetarian Welsh sausage which contains two very Welsh ingredients; Caerphilly cheese and leeks. It seems that they used to be made using Glamorgan cheese, but such a thing is no longer available, though it is reportedly very much like the creamy Caerphilly. If Caerphilly cheese is not available where you live fear not, mature cheddar cheese or something a little creamier will do just fine. Besides, it’s the breadcrumbs that really hold these incredibly tasty sausages together.

I can’t believe this is only my fourth post in the ‘Keeping Alive Tradition’ Series. However, I’ve recently come into possession of a book about traditional Welsh food, so it should provide me with a little more information and a modicum of inspiration. It may surprise you to discover that Wales has an extremely rich culinary history; we’re world famous for cockles, seaweed, lamb, beef and many other foods besides. Perhaps I’m a little biased, but I think Welsh food must be one of the most underappreciated cuisines in all the world, notwithstanding the well-known ‘bara brith’. If you’re interested in seeing the other recipes from this series you may find them all HERE!

Despite the relative simplicity of these sausages, their flavour is really rather impressive; Caerphilly cheese and leeks combine to make a particularly stunning sausage. Indeed, these cylindrical joys aren’t for the faint of heart or tonsil – I’ve witnessed more than one leek eating competition in my time. Still, if you’re looking for a delicious, sumptuous and almost decadent vegetarian sausage, you can’t go far wrong with these beauties.

Glamorgan Sausages

Makes 7-8

• 1 large leek, finely chopped

• 120g Caerphilly cheese, crumbled

• 130-150g brown breadcrumbs plus extra for rolling

• 2 eggs, separated

• Olive oil

• Salt and pepper

1. Fry the leeks for 8-10 minutes with a little oil, salt and pepper. Once they have sweated right down transfer them to a large mixing bowl.

2. To the leeks add the cheese, breadcrumbs and egg yolks. Use 130g of breadcrumbs at first and add more if necessary. This mixture should form a very stiff dough. Shape the dough into seven or eight sausages. Dip each sausage in the egg whites before coating in bread crumbs. Pop them in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.

3. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry three or four sausages at a time, until browned. The heat need not be too high. Enjoy with a side salad.

Cost: None of the ingredients are themselves particularly expensive and since this recipe should serve a group of four I think you’ll agree that this is rather good value for money. Indeed, the cost of eight of these divine beauties should be around £2 – far cheaper and healthier than any good quality meat sausage you’ll find.

84 comments on “Keeping Alive Tradition #4: Glamorgan Sausages (Vegetarian)

June 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

These look fantastic! I am loving this traditional foods series. Glamorgan sausages are yummy and I never knew they were so simple to put together. How do you get them so uniformly formed and browned?

Once, I enrolled a friend in a sushi eating contest without his consent. After much protesting, the man came in third place. Third place! I was so proud. I felt like I had raised a prize-winning hog or something!

I didn’t know that there were leek-eating contests. Not raw, right?

Are you going to make laverbread? I always wanted to taste it, but never got the chance . . .

June 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Thanks, Daisy! Sorry about the late reply. I’m just brilliant! Actually, it’s fairly simple – don’t use too high a heat… That’s very impressive – I’m not the biggest fan of sushi. Yes, raw… that’s why they are contests… I might make it – there seems to be a lot of demand for me to do so…

• baconbiscuit212
        June 6, 2012 at 3:55 am

I think the times events are the hardest. Like the ones where you only have two minutes. I would do very well in an un-timed contest!

June 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Well, perhaps – but that wouldn’t be quite so disgusting…

2. thekalechronicles
    June 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

And just where was this recipe all winter and early spring when I was drowning in leeks? I know, I know — it was in someone’s head in Wales. I am going to try this before the leek population winds down for the year. Thank you.

3. glutenfreehappytummy
    June 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

ooh those sound and look delicious! thanks for sharing!

4. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
    June 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I LOVE Glamorgan sausages – I would say it must be the Welsh blood in me, but actually I think it’s just because they’re so good! :) These look fantastic.

5. unoscoiattoloindispensa
    June 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for the “history” bit! I developed a bit of an addiction to Glamorgan sausages when I moved to Edinburgh (they’re not known in Italy… pity) but didn’t where they’re from… Or how to make them! and for £2 every 8, I have no excuses not to treat myself :-)

June 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Haha! In Edinburgh? How interesting. You must try making them :)

6. Karista
    June 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I’m now so hungry and I just ate breakfast. :) This is why I’m in love with your blog! You always make me hungry. I’ve never heard of these delightful little vegetarian sausages and I can’t wait to make them. Because I’m way over here in the US, if I can’t find the Caerphilly cheese, what sort of cheese would you suggest? I’m so looking forward to reading more about your delicious Welsh cuisine!

June 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Well, perhaps it’s best to control oneself :D. Any creamy, mature but firm cheese would do, Karista. More recipes will be sure to follow 😀

7. Juls
    June 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’d be really interested to see what else you do in this series. I must confess that, even next door in England, I’m pretty unfamiliar with Welsh food outside of laverbread and cawl cennin (and I think you introduced me to cawl cennin in the first place…).

June 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

There’ll be another very soon! Perhaps I did! Check out my Welshcakes.

8. Margarita
    June 1, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Yum! And vegetarian, too…double yum! :)

9. putneyfarm
    June 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

These look great, never heard of anything quite like this, but worth trying. Thanks.

10. Shira
    June 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

These look ridiculously yummy Nick wow! On the pinned ‘to make’ list! :)

June 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

My Auntie Ede used to make these (and Bara Brith) although she was from Mold, not Glamorgan! Have never attemtped them myself but think I could manage to get all the right ingredients here in Andalucía to make a good stab at them. Hope they turn out as well as yours – congratulations!

June 5, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Fantastic! Bara Brith is coming soon – two versions! I think you could make these, definitely! Thanks!

12. Heather
    June 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm

WOW these look incredible, I will most definitely be preparing a vegan version of these!

13. leduesorelle
    June 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Wonderful! I have a couple of leeks left from winter storage and was just wondering what to do with them. The Welsh cookbook I just picked up adds a bit of chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme and “very little” sage” and a teaspoon of mustard powder.

June 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thanks! You could add those, but I think it would mask the flavour of the leeks and cheese – a waste, in my opinion. Remember, less is often more.

14. lorrielorrieb
    June 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Oh I will most certainly try these this weekend!! I would also be very happy to read some recipes involving seaweed. We have a lot of that around here but I wouldn’t know where to begin! There is one restaurant in town that slices it into fettucini noodles…..not too sure about that!

June 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Yes, please do! Maybe I’ll do laverbread, but I’m always a little uneasy about it! It;s very good for you though.

15. Vanesther
    June 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Yum, yum, yum! These look so tasty. I’m a big fan of Lancashire cheese (I have Lancastrian blood) which is creamy and slightly tangy, so wondering if it would work in this sausages. Must try. Oh, by the way – who’s Alice?! :)

June 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Thanks, Vanesther! Give it a go! Oh my God, thanks for catching that!

16. mayihavethatrecipe
    June 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

They look similar to cheese croquetas from Spain (minus the leeks). They look fantastic, you cannot go wrong with Fried cheese !! I must try them.

June 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Yes, they are. I intend to do those some time! Thanks!

17. cakeboule
    June 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm

pasing this onto a friend who would love these!

18. theglobalgarnishgeek
    June 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks. I love these! I may need to find a substitute for the cheese here in the U.S.

June 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Thanks! Yes, that may prove difficult – I’m not sure of the cheese system over there.

19. crisgzr
    June 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

these look so tasty! I bet they make a nice snack too!

June 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Thanks! Oh yes and they are lovely on a bed of salad.

20. Eha
    June 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

Neither a cake nor a sausage maker am I!! But this I’ll try and replicate! They sound good to have and come at an opportune time! Well, Wales may not be England, but there is a Prince of Wales who, together with much of the world, is celebrating the life and work of a very special lady this weekend. Perchance Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II would not quietly mind one of these either! Ma’am!!

June 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh you must – it’s not difficult at all. Haha – we definitely aren’t in England, I’m glad you realise :D.

June 2, 2012 at 8:54 am

At first, I was put off by the vegetarian, but these look wonderful! I will try this. Thanks Frugal.

June 5, 2012 at 10:44 pm

You’re always put off by the vegetarian, but these were never intended to be proper sausages… They are amazing.

June 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

Mmmm! Tasty sausages! I think I can replicate them with cashew cheez 😉 I busted out the nikon today

but think I’m seriously lacking in skillz and that my kitchen is too dark. I gotta get the hang of it :/

June 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Perhaps you could! You’ll definitely get the hang of it – read some blogs about food photography!

• Somer
        June 5, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Yes, research needed, my kitchen is super dark with dark wood and dark reds everywhere, doesn’t help food photography at all :/

June 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

You need to photograph somewhere that has some natural light. I don’t photograph in my kitchen.

23. Aimee@clevermuffin
    June 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

Oooo … These reminded me of crouquettes, a favourite of mine. These would be amazing with a beer, no?

June 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I shall be making those soon, never fear, Aimee! Oh yes, they would suit a beer just fine.

24. midihideaways
    June 2, 2012 at 11:54 am

I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award as I enjoy reading your blog!
    If you’d like to read and repost the award, here’s the link:
    Look forward to reading more of your posts,

25. Brianne
    June 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’m crazy about leeks! I’ll be making these soon.

26. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
    June 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I think these look wonderful. We have a few vegetarian friends who would especially adore them, especially made with our homemade perennial leeks which grow like a weed in our garden!

On the topic of Welsh food – the one dish I’ve always been intrigued by is laverbread. I’d love to know more about it, if you’re taking requests.. 😉

June 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Thanks, Celia! Oh my! I want some of your leeks :D. Hmm, laverbread… I’ve never been too keen on it. Perhaps I’ll give it a go. Maybe I’ll even gather the seaweed myself… we’ll have to see about it though.

27. Shumaila
    June 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I love the idea of these vegetarian sausages and they seem simple to make! Bookmarking the recipe- will have to see what cheese I can use to substitute the one you mentioned.

June 5, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thanks, Shumaila! I’m sure most fairly creamy cheeses would work.

28. sybaritica
    June 3, 2012 at 3:39 am

Wow … I remember having those as a kid (actually in Glamorganshire) … I’d forgotten all about them!

June 5, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Fantastic! Glad to bring back memories – I insist you make them 😀

29. RecipeAdaptors
    June 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm

So simple, but very tasty!

June 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Thanks! they really are packed full of flavour.

30. zahody
    June 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’ve never even heard of these! A definite to-make.

June 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Oh yes you must. That’s the idea of this series – spreading the word.

June 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm

These look wonderful, like a Dutch croquette but much less work (and much less meat!).

June 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Indeed! I shall be doing traditional potato croquettes soon I expect.

32. MixerUpper
    June 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

These look delicious and perfect for my vegetarian son. My daughter-in-law has developed a wonderful veggie fry up recipe for him using purchased veggie sausage – we will both want to try this for sure. Also nice to note lots of traditional dishes rely on simple flavor combinations.

June 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks! Definitely try it – they’re so delicious! Exactly. I adore simple flavour combinations.

33. narf77
    June 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Just found you through another blog (Saint Yumminess herself…) and am amazingly glad to have done so (might have to scour that sainted ladies blogroll for more treasures like yours…) Just made these for dinner last night. Cold stormy Tasmania…expat Liverpudlian/ Sarf end on sea husband devoured them despite prior to moving to Australia being a chips and curry man. So much to learn…so much to cook…so many blogs to wade through, but YOUR blog sir, is now firmly tucked into my rss feed reader to devour at my leisure…a most emphatic “CHEERS” to you sir! :)

June 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Fantastic! Glad you stumbled across me. Haha – great comment. I’m glad you enjoy my blog and my sausages 😀

• narf77
        June 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

My sister just bought a new sausage maker, who needs one when you have a recipe as scrumptious as this :)

34. tanyamhudson
    June 6, 2012 at 4:07 am

Oh, my goodness! These look amazing! I’ve never heard of glamorgan sausages or either of those cheeses, but leeks are coming in around here and I’m sure I could get my hands on some aged cheddar and breadcrumbs. :)

June 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thanks, Tanya! You should make them, get a taste of Wales 😀

35. erin
    June 10, 2012 at 3:57 am

So. I just read through your tradition series.. and I’m so excited about it. We have a friend from Whales who is moving away and these all look like the makings of a perfect going away party! Whoo!

June 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Awesome! I’ll do another soon :D. Yes, they are 😀

36. winebarrelgourmet
    June 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I love leeks – and have a garden full of them right now. I think I will make these “sausages” for this weekend’s Father’s Day breakfast. Especially since none of the processed vegetarian sausages available in the grocery store are edible! I have nominated you for the Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know that not everyone participates in awards, but if it is for you the details can be found at :

June 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Leeks are so good! I hope you like them! Thanks for the award.

37. myfangalicious
    June 25, 2012 at 3:30 am

awesome idea

38. Saskia
    October 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’m afraid We can’t get hold of Caerphilly cheese in Belgium … What cheese would you advise as a substitute?

November 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm

That’s a shame – something crumbly, milky and medium in flavour. You could technically use any cheese – though nothing too melty like mozzarella.