Mango Chutney with a Hint of Kick

Mango Chutney Recipe

If there’s one condiment that pairs itself almost universally well with food of a spicy disposition it has to be mango chutney. The devilishly-difficult-to-rival flavour of well-made mango chutney manages to behave amiably with similar ingredients, no matter how slight their shared characteristics may be.

There is also an element of experimental fun to the preparation of any chutney, mango or otherwise. You see, this particular chutney recipe is based upon my own personal tastes and fancies; yours needn’t be entirely the same. Indeed, the only ingredients vital to the success of this recipe are the mangoes, vinegar and sugar – all else can, but shouldn’t, be done without.

Though, I would highly recommend the use of black onion seeds since they always manage to take mango chutney to the next level, or even the one after that, wherever that may be.

Those among you who don’t suffer from debilitating visual issues or absurdly frequent bouts of catastrophic memory loss will notice that my dear little space on the web has undergone yet another change. Those of you who do have problems pertaining to the above mentioned faculties of the human body should entirely ignore my vitriolic comments; it clearly (or rather unclearly) is not your fault.

Mango Chutney Recipe

Anyway, I really must describe to you just how wonderful this chutney really is. It doesn’t pussy foot around flavour like those one might purchase at one’s local supermarket; it really adds something special to a dish.

No longer will mango chutney be spooned in a deprecating manner onto the very edge of one’s plate. Happily, it is extremely easy to reproduce and requires only a modicum of planning. If you ever thought that you might like to make one of my recipes this truly is the one to choose, if only because of the fact you needn’t follow the recipe at all – how conveniently ironic.

Mango Chutney Recipe

Mango Chutney {recipe}

Fills one 500ml pot

• 2 large, fairly ripe mangoes

• 1 chopped apple, any variety will do (I used a braeburn)

• A thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped

• 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

• 300ml white wine vinegar

• 260g of caster sugar

• 1 tsp black onion seeds

• A small shard of cinnamon bark

• 1 tsp turmeric

• 1 tsp chilli flakes

• ½ tsp chilli powder

• A pinch of salt

1. The night before you want to make the chutney it is necessary to peel one’s mangoes, cube them and sprinkle them with salt. This draws out some of their moisture and softens them. Make sure to rinse before use!

Mango Chutney Recipe

2. Tip the apple, ginger, garlic, vinegar, sugar, onion seeds, cinnamon, turmeric, chilli flakes and chilli powder into a pan. Heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the mango and bring to a gentle simmer.

Mango Chutney Recipe

3. Simmer the chutney for 30-40 minutes until it has achieved a thick, sticky consistency. Season to taste. While waiting for the magic to happen one should sterilize one’s vessel to ensure the chutney stays good for at least a couple of weeks. Once the chutney is done transfer it to the jar and allow to cool before applying the lid. Allowing the chutney to mature for a couple of days will only increase the pleasure it gives your mouth.

Mango Chutney Recipe

Cost: The leading brand of mango chutney in Britain sells for roughly £2 per jar, though the jar is smaller than mine. Thankfully, mangoes are very cheap at the moment which allows me to make this large jar for £2.50. Though the cost/g is only a little better, the quality of homemade chutney far outstrips that which is mass-marketed. Enjoy!

95 comments on “Mango Chutney with a Hint of Kick

1. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    May 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I love mango chutney but have never made it. Inspired by your recipe, Frugal, and brilliant photos – they definitely deserve space!

May 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Oh you must, Kay! Thanks – I’m loving my camera.

2. Margarita
    May 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Since I always eat with my eyes, am definitely LOVING your photography. With mangoes ripe and rife in my neighborhood fruit markets and my penchant for winging recipes, I’ll let you know how this turns out for me! Thank you!

May 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Thanks! I adore this camera, takes some really good shots. I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

3. Claire Sambolino
    May 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm

It looks absolutely delicious and I adore mango chutney so definitely one to try.

4. glutenfreehappytummy
    May 26, 2012 at 6:05 pm

oooh spicy mango chutney! sounds right up my alley! thanks for sharing! beautiful pics!

May 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m sure that it would be! You ought to make it :)

5. Cathy
    May 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

This sounds delicious! Love the new look, and great photos!

6. Shira
    May 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Amazing! Love this Nick….and it looks devilishly delicious…not to mention spicy. Gorgeous! :)

May 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thanks so much, Shira. I know you’d love this.

7. Kwokmun
    May 27, 2012 at 3:08 am

Lovely! I have never used black onion seeds. How does the seeds taste like?

May 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

They taste very nice indeed, not offensive at all – give them a go!

8. sybaritica
    May 27, 2012 at 4:05 am

Great recipe and lovely photography

May 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thanks, John – I’m slowly getting used to this camera.

9. Eha
    May 27, 2012 at 4:26 am

Have just filed this for next mango season here. Don’t think I have used cinnamon bark or turmeric in my other recipes! Thanks heaps!!

May 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

No problem – I know you’ll enjoy it, it’s so yum.

10. thekalechronicles
    May 27, 2012 at 5:58 am

This looks like a truly wonderful chutney, Nick.

May 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

Just when I thought your blog couldn’t get any better looking, you go and get a big fancy camera to take photos that knocks my socks off. Socks. Off!

This mango chutney looks amazing. I love the use of black onion seeds. I’ve used nigella seeds for this, and from your crisp picture, they look really similar. Are they the same? Is it one of those we-call-it-this-you-call-it-that items?

May 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Haha, thanks, Daisy! Sorry for knocking your socks off, how thoughtless of me. They are similar, but it seems that they are not quite the same, though people do confuse them. So, no you Americans aren’t wrong in this case… :D

12. Jo Blogs
    May 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

Frugal, I love your writing, you lovable cocky foodie boy you! You do make me smile :D. May I say bravo on the photos – you’re really working the infamous shallow depth of field gold standard of food fotography ;). I adore kilner jars and the very look of the top image alone has sold me to make my own mango chutney. I bought a jar from Waitrose (how un-Frugal of me! :O) that has chilli flakes and kaloonji in like yours and it’s amazing how much better it is than the bog standard stuff. Now you’ve shown me how to make my own, I need not buy it again (plus I have a crate of mangoes at the mo looking for a recipe to be splurged on – this will be one of them once they are ripe :) ). Thank you! Xx

May 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Thanks, Jo – I’m not cocky on purpose, I;m actually rather nice, I promise! I’m slowly getting to grips with this camera – there’s plenty of literature on the subject… We got 8 of those jars for £5 – ridiculous… Some bigger than others too. The standard stuff is awful in comparison. I really hope you do end up making this, Jo! Your mangoes do look rather splendid.

13. Nutrition by Nature
    May 27, 2012 at 11:23 am

oooo yum!! Love the photography too, looks awesome!

14. Savory Simple
    May 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

This looks so delicious!

May 27, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Thanks – it really is incredible. Everyone thought so.

15. Eat Healthy Be Happy
    May 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This sounds amazing! I’ve never used black onion seeds before. I wonder where I can find them…

May 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thanks! Do you have any specialist Indian shops?

16. Promenade Claire
    May 27, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Great photos. And the chutney is good too !

17. eclectic faerie
    May 27, 2012 at 10:31 pm

yum! looks fantastic and i will join with the crowd and say Great Photos ~

i am planning on canning a bit of mango chutney this week ~ maybe i’ll follow your lead and add a bit of chili

May 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Thanks – I’m getting used to the camera more and more, as one might expect. I hope that goes well!

18. mrswebbinthekitchen
    May 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm

You really can tell the difference between your old photos and these past two posts with the new camera. That first photo especially- stunning. Curious, what do you do with chutney typically? Top meat? Spread it on toast? Spoon it out of the jar directly into your mouth? ;)

May 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

For some reason I’ve been missing your posts. It’s been happening with Cecilia’s posts too. I unsubscribed and resubscribed, hopefully that will work. Anyway, this looks wonderful and I have some catching up to do!

20. ninaherbert
    May 28, 2012 at 4:16 am

Loving the look (and sound) of this recipe. The mangoes grown here in Australia are rather difference in appearance. The skins are yellow, through to peachy, in colour; and the flesh is almost ‘yolk’ coloured. When ripe, the flesh is soft and super sweet. So, I’m wondering, should I do away with the ‘salting’ process? Or perhaps you’d recommend using an underripe mango instead? Interested in your thoughts. Cheers, Nina

• ninaherbert
      June 7, 2012 at 4:14 am

Sorry to pester but still wondering about the ‘salting process’ with the rather sweet mangoes we grow in Australia?

June 19, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Sorry! I’ll respond in a sec – I;ve been so useless in the past couple of weeks!

21. Karista
    May 28, 2012 at 6:11 am

I’d make all your recipes! This one is a keeper too. Looks delish and I think I’d love it with a good pork roast.

22. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
    May 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

Wow, you managed to grab the frugalfeeding.com domain name? Well done!! Chutney looks wicked too.. :)

23. yes, it is the second time I visit your page and I did notice the difference. actually, I was considering the possibility of using your new theme – would that be like stealing? :) mine is similar but… oh well, haven’t figured out how to have “pages” on that. anyway. your photography is really good and this recipe rocks. although I am not a fun of sugar in food (but I love it in sweets), I may give it a go. if nothing else, I will make my husband happy (he still does not understand how Italians can eat without sauces). cheers

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am

Haha – awesome. Feel free! I found mine whilst looking at a few other people… Thanks – I love my new camera. This recipe simply wouldn’t work without sugar…

24. grainnep
    May 28, 2012 at 10:31 pm

This looks lovelyand I am Loving your shots too.

25. Heather
    May 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Beautiful photos – I love the one of the black onion seeds on the spoon, which while we are on the topic I have never heard of! They sound so interesting, I am definitely going to have to find some soon. I love chutneys but I have never made my own, shameful I know – but this post of yours has inspired me!

May 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thanks! they are really delicious! They shouldn’t be too hard to find… I like to inspire :)

May 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Mango chutney is often my favorite part of Indian food, so I may have to try making some myself…

27. the vegan kitchen of dr caligari
    June 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Well done, Frugal. It looks really delicious!

June 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Thanks, Luca! It was wonderful.

• the vegan kitchen of dr caligari
        August 15, 2012 at 9:18 am

I finally found out black onion seeds in my favourite Asian store and made your mango chutney. I ate it with vegetable pakura and It was perfect. Thank you for sharing!

September 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

Amazing! I’m so glad you found them and made this – isn’t it wonderful?

28. Simran S. & Stacie D.
    June 3, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Never thought to make this at home…you have convinced me that this is worth a try!

June 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm

It totally is! One of my favourite ever recipes.

29. veggiezest
    June 9, 2012 at 7:38 am

Mango Chutney is my favorite- love it when its a bit spicy too!
    Growing up there was always a jar full of the chutney in our fridge, my mom would add raisins in it for me :)

June 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm

It’s definitely my favourite! I shall make another version eventually and use different fruit. Raisins would be yummy.

30. Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
    June 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

June 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Thanks! Awesome. I hope to read more comments from you :D

31. Meenakshi
    June 29, 2012 at 4:19 am

Simply beautiful! A little chilli goes a long way :) It has been a while since I visited…I see you have changed the look of your site. Love the new look!

July 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

It does indeed. Thanks, it took a little while, but I’m fairly happy with it now.

32. moteki
    September 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Looks scrumptious! I’ve been meaning to try out some homemade jams and chutneys – this will move straight to the top of my list.

September 26, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Thanks! Yes, chutney is particularly easy and tasty.

33. DAVEy
    September 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Are you aware if this recipe has enough acidity and/or sugar to be safe to can it with a water bath?

September 26, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I have literally no idea – I’m not fancy enough for that :)

34. Rose
    July 28, 2014 at 12:00 am

Hi Nick, do you think you could make this with dried mango? I have a lot of it – shopping error – of course I want to use it up and mango chutney seems like a good place to start. Any idea what weight I might need? PS Love the blog!

July 29, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hello! I’m not sure, to be honest. I wouldn’t advise you give it a go either. Glad you like the blog :) – use the mango as a snack instead.