New Potato, Spring Onion and Wild Garlic Salad

New Potato, Spring Onion and Wild Garlic Salad Recipe

The new potato season is now in full swing and since Jersey Royals are one of the true treats of late spring in Britain, it seems the perfect time to post my very first potato salad. However, Jersey Royals aren’t the only seasonal ingredients in this dish; the wild garlic which spends its time ironically held in captivity at the front of my garden is just coming into bloom and spring onions are continuing to live up to their name.

As we all know, the classic potato salad which everyone brings to picnics, rendering it the only side dish on offer, is a major exponent of mayonnaise. Whilst the version described above is all well and good, it can end up being a little too heavy for the magnificently clear and sweltering weather we are currently experiencing. As such, it seemed like a jolly good idea to substitute the mayo for a generous drizzle of vinaigrette.

Yet more changes are afoot here at frugalfeeding; I’ve purchased my very first ‘big person’ camera – a Nikon D3100 DSLR. It’s so beautiful and will go a long way toward improving my somewhat lacklustre photography. I truly hope you appreciate this rather expensive change, and if you have any tips they are most welcome!

N.B. the wild garlic can be substituted for a small amount of mashed conventional garlic.

Recipe for Wild Garlic

For some other potato salad ideas, check out my recipes for Radish, Watercress and Potato Salad and Samphire and New Potato Salad?

New Potato, Spring Onion and Wild Garlic Salad

Serves 3-4

• 400g new potatoes, Jersey Royals if possible

• 1 small bunch of spring onions, finely sliced

• 1 tbsp bulbs of wild garlic, crushed and chopped

• 1 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar

• 2 tbsp olive oil

• ½ tsp Dijon mustard

• Salt & pepper

• A generous sprinkling of chopped chives

1. Boil the new potatoes in just enough salted water to cover them for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Once cooked, set aside before chopping in half.

2. Mix together the cooked potatoes, spring onions and wild garlic. Mix together the mustard, oil and vinegar until the oil emulsifies – season well. Pour this vinaigrette over the other ingredients and sprinkle generously with chives.

How to Cook Wild Garlic

Cost: New potatoes are relatively expensive potatoes, but they really are worth it. Luckily, the other ingredients offset this a little – the entire dish should assemble itself for roughly £1.90. It really does make a fantastic side dish.

79 comments on “New Potato, Spring Onion and Wild Garlic Salad

1. katonasoapbox
    May 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm

May 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks, Katona – silly name really isn’t it.

2. CorkAndSpoon
    May 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Oooo, a potato salad not weighed down by mayo and mustard? With new potatoes? I think I know what I’m making for the BBQ I’m going to this weekend:)

May 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Enjoy. Emilie – it’s so much better like this, nice and light.

3. theglobalgarnishgeek
    May 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Oooh. Yummm! I’m heading to the UK for a visit in a few weeks. Do save me some of those Jersey Royals puleeze!

4. Claire Sambolino
    May 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Great camera (I’m very envious!) and the dish looks all the more delicious for the photography.

May 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Dreadfully sorry to make you so. Thanks, Claire.

5. Karista
    May 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Yay!!! Congratulations on your big person camera! I got my big person camera last year, a Nikon D5100 DSLR. And yes, it’s been quite the learning curve! Your pictures look fantastic as does that divine potato salad. I love a “lighter” potato salad and will post this on my Facebook page for our holiday weekend coming up. Delicious Wishes :)

May 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thanks, Karista. Ooooh, that one’s a little step up from mine :). Awesome – thanks! Enjoy the camping!

• Karista
        May 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Well it’s such a challenge to use I’m not sure it’s a step up, probably a step down. Haha! I’ve been plowing through online tutorials and classes just to understand all the buttons on the darn thing. :)

May 24, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Haha! Mine’s rather a challenge to use too! I know, there are so many buttons aren’t there?! I think I’ve got to grips with what most of them mean, barring the most complicated – but I still can’t control what they do properly.

6. Juls
    May 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Ugh! Jealous of your big-person camera! I’m still shooting with a six year old point and shoot. The day I get literally anything better I will be feasting like a viking.
    I much prefer potato salads without mayonnaise and your simple, seasonal version sounds lovely! How might one identify wild garlic? I know its season is relatively short and I have tried to identify it using my father’s old foraging book but, honestly, I get scared of accidentally picking something poisonous and killing people or choosing something that a dog has weed on.

May 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Haha, Juls! Umm, it smells of garlic and has pretty white flowers. I doubt you’d pick something poisonous.

May 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Woohoo for your new Nikon! I’m embarrassed to say I own a similar camera, but haven’t taken the time to learn to use it yet. That wild garlic is adorable and I love potato salads without mayo. I’m gonna need to try that one!

May 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Woohoo indeed – it’s pretty. Do take the time, I’m trying to :). Please do try it, Somer – it’s absolutely worth the effort.

• Somer
        May 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I shall! Dusting it off today for reals 😉

8. thekalechronicles
    May 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm

This is just the kind of dressing I prefer on a potato salad. I like the simplicity of the ingredients, too — no egg, no celery, no bacon.

May 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Exactly, Sharyn. I was going to do an egg/mayo one, but decided against it. I shall in the future though to cover all bases :)

May 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Very nice recipe and a cute bowl :) Loving your first photos.

May 24, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, Rosemary. Hopefully I can continue the trend :)

10. putneyfarm
    May 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Good photos and great, simple recipe!

11. soffiagudrun
    May 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Congrats on the potato season, wouldn´t mind one now Those are good looking potatoes, I don´t think jersey royal get
    exported over here…

May 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I doubt they do since they are grown only on Jersey in Britain. Still, any new potato would do.

12. chefconnie
    May 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Congrats on the camera. Your pictures are always very lovely. This salad looks quite delish!

May 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thanks, Connie! It was really very nice indeed.

13. Jacqueline Raposo (@DustyBakerGal)
    May 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

The photos are gorgeous already! Have fun with the new toy – an expensive but worthy investment. Both the body and lens of mine are old and bought used but still top notch. And with Nikon you can use ANY lens EVER made on that body – huge bonus when playing with friend’s camera’s and investing in better ones.

This recipe is coming with me to the new cook job :) Thanks FF!

May 24, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Thanks, Jacqueline! Definitely worthy. Yes, I intend to buy some new lenses soon. Awesome! I hope you like it :)

May 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Looks great! Delicious looking and beautiful, bright photos. Can’t wait to see how you get on with the new camera!

May 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Thanks, Daisy. I hope I can get to grips with it quickly.

15. glutenfreehappytummy
    May 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm

yummm!! i’m definitely going to have to try this! thanks for sharing!

16. movita beaucoup
    May 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm

1. I love potato salad. I would marry it if I could. And this potato salad sounds very French and elegant.
    2. I have been waiting for this camera announcement. I am super duper excited for you. No lie.

May 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Oh yes, so would I – Jersey Royals are incredible. It’s also a little British since they are only grown in Jersey. I’m so excited too – just need to get used to it…

17. shuhan
    May 23, 2012 at 9:57 pm

loving the new crisp photos! of course, you need beautiful food for it to work too, and you’e definitely got that! I love the new potatoes of the season too! I always thought wild garlic referred to the lush green leaves that smell of garlic?

May 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Thanks! They are SO crisp in comparison. Perhaps it does – the leaves certainly smell of it – but so do their bulbs :)

18. cakeboule
    May 23, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Perfect for my weekdn BBQ – cheers my dear! Loving the new camera I must invest in a macro lens I feel.

May 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Exactly, Jacqueline. Me too, I’ll probably get one in a couple of months depending on if I get my bursary to study next year.

19. theacupunc
    May 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm

OMG I love wild garlic and I completely forgot about it in my last post… thanks for reminding me! Gorgeous pics. Enjoy your new toy :)

May 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I’m excited for your new camera purchase Nick! You will have SUCH fun with it! And this is just the kind of potato salad I appreciate…though I’ve never tried wild garlic, I think I must try to! :)

May 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Me too – I can’t wait to get properly to grips with it. You must try it, it might be difficult to find though.

21. Allotment adventures with Jean
    May 23, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Love the recipe. Going to try this one. Photographs are very impressive. You have got me thinking I should splash out for a decent camera myself as some of the photos on my blog are a bit ‘ordinary’.

May 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Thanks! Yes, you should! You’d not regret it.

22. Margarita
    May 24, 2012 at 2:01 am

Your big person camera literally made this entry good enough to eat! I could taste and smell your wonderful salad just from the picture. Thanks for the no-cal treat!

23. crumpetkitchen
    May 24, 2012 at 6:14 am

Great photos and a delicious idea to put wild garlic with some royals. My father used to grow these in the garden in Jersey (sandy soils just rock!)… Oh how I miss them – I’ve never found a potato south of Paris that can taste the same. (Big sniffs were heard somewhere in the area of the Alps.)

May 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Thanks – they did work beautifully. Would have been awesome to have them grown. They are the best new potato by far.

24. Amrita
    May 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Its always great to find out how other people take their potato salad…and one with wild garlic sounds great! I wish my local produce store had wild garlic…I’ve been trying to make some garlic dip for a long time.

May 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Indeed! Wild garlic is so nice – really subtle in comparison. I hope you do find some.

25. egg me on
    May 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love a good mayonnaise-based salad, but there’s something great about the tang of Dijon mustard and vinegar over soft potatoes. Great stuff!

May 24, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Exactly. You’ll get your mayo salad in the next few weeks I’m sure!

26. ArbitraryAmbrosia
    May 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

You had me as soon as I saw the garlic. Yummm. Congrats on the camera, too! You will love it!

May 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm

hehe – pretty isn’t it?!Thanks – I already do.

27. mrswebbinthekitchen
    May 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Photos look great!! Very clear, and you already had beautiful composition! I’ve never seen anything like those onions, except for “pearl onions,” which usually seem to only come frozen. Are they the same, do you know? Anyways, even if I can’t find these exact gorgeous ingredients, I sure love your dressing idea! I always appreciate a good recipe for mayo-free salad. Please, if you ever make me anything with mayo, just don’t tell me it’s in there! shudder.

May 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thanks! Those are the wild garlic – nothing to do with onions :). Haha – I love mayo but it would have spoiled this. I’ll do a mayo potato salad in a couple of weeks I expect…

28. Willow
    May 25, 2012 at 12:53 am

Great potato salad – I always prefer this sort of thing to the heavily mayo dressed sides.

And congrats on the camera! The photos look great. The great thing about getting a camera that’s perhaps a little beyond your current know-how is that you have a lot of room to grow into. I remember doing a lot of research into f-stops and focal lengths etc. when I got mine, but the biggest learning experiences I’ve had have come from just playing around. I suppose that’s the best advice I can offer – play with it! :)

May 25, 2012 at 9:13 am

Thanks, Willow! Yes, I have A LOT of room to grow into it – I’ve just spent the past hour reading up on f-stops and focal length 😀 – complicated stuff. I promise I shall play with it as often as I can spare a hand!

29. tanyamhudson
    May 25, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This recipe looks delicious! And it is very pretty, too.

I have to comment on this: “It’s so beautiful and will go a long way toward improving my somewhat lacklustre photography.” — your photography has been anything but lackluster! But congrats on the new camera, because that will only make it even better. :)

I am dying to replace my 11-year-old point-and-shoot, but I’m having a hard time justifying the expense of a grown-up camera when it’s really just for my blog. Maybe one day….

May 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks, Tanya! Well, thanks (again), but I’ve never been truly happy with it – I’m annoying like that. I already adore using my camera – it’s brilliant. I do so much blogging that I knew I had to get one and besides, I just got paid to do some writing – a job I got through the blog – so that went towards it. You should definitely invest – I use it loads outside of bloggery too!

• tanyamhudson
        May 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm

How exciting to get a writing job through your blog! Congrats on that as well!

I know what you mean about never being satisfied–my camera isn’t so good anyway, and then I get a little obsessive with trying to get a good shot despite that. I think I frustrate Micah with that sometimes, but I am sure the process would take less time if my camera didn’t suck so bad. So it really would be a win-win situation. :)

May 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Thanks! It was rather exciting. I definitely frustrate Katherine when I’m with her, but nevermind :D. Perhaps, but then your expectations increase too.

• tanyamhudson
            May 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Good point. I’ll probably never be completely satisfied! :)

May 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

It would be a boring world if we were…

30. foodblogandthedog
    May 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Very similar, except I have no Jerseys obviously!! We must be on the same page (of the cookbook). New camera is very exciting, I love mine, am a bit obsessed actually, you never stop learning!!

May 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Is a shame! Indeed, we must – it’s funny that I’ve not spotted you yet… I know, I’m totally obsessed 😀 Can’t wait to get new lenses etc.

31. Mama's Gotta Bake
    May 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Oh, how I love potatoes. But I’ve never used new potatoes before. Must give this recipe a try! Lovely photo.

May 31, 2012 at 9:13 am

My favourite vegetable I think… Oh my, you must – such good flavours.

May 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Congrats on the new camera Nick! I’ve been making a lot of potato salads lately as well, but I haven’t yet ventured past the mayonnaise-laden version 😉

May 31, 2012 at 9:04 am

Thanks! I absolutely adore it. You should – light versions are so yum.

33. narf77
    June 8, 2012 at 9:30 am

No Jersey Royals here but we do get some pretty amazing baby new spuds so might give this a try with some Pink eyes or some baby dutch creams. Any sort of potato is going to be delicious, new spuds are simply “special” :)

June 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm

That’s a shame. Other varieties are pretty good though. I hope you do!