Reassuringly Spicy Guacamole

Yesterday I was lucky enough to visit a Mexican tapas restaurant by the name of Wahaca in Covent Garden, London. If you haven’t heard about this fun and economic establishment, it is the venture of Masterchef finalist Thomasina Miers. Wahaca, along with a number of other restaurants, aimed to bring Mexican street food to London. It has since spread like wildfire and it is still extremely difficult to get a seat at the original restaurant in Covent Garden. Luckily, we turned up at a fairly quiet moment – there was 1 table spare – and they provided us with a really delicious feast. Despite the fact that a mean set of mutton chops appear to be a job requirement of the male waiting staff, if you have occasion to visit Wahaca, it comes highly rated.

As you can see, my Sunday escapades have instilled in my subconscious a desire to rekindle my love of Mexican food. This post is the first in a disjointed series of Mexican recipes which I have stored in the vast recesses of my mind. Though, it must be noted that these vast recesses are generally inhabited by nothing but white noise – the tinnitus is unbearable. I genuinely hope that over the next couple of weeks I succeed in fulfilling a number of requests and in satiating my appetite for a taste of  North America. Who knows, perhaps I’ll stray south of the boundaries of the nation best known for its drug cartels and fictional banditos and tackle a little more of the wonderful continent to which it forms the gateway. Though, I should perhaps mention, given Top Gear’s recent history with Mexico, that the previous sentence was intended to appear purely facile and jocular.

N.B. One must ensure a nice ripe avocado is used. However, if it is VERY ripe then it won’t quite work. Give the avocados a squeeze; if they have a little give, then they are perfect.

Guacamole

Serves 4

• 2 avocado, peeled and stoned

• 2-3 fresh chillies, sans seeds depending on taste

• ½ a red onion, finely chopped

• The juice of half a lime

• 2-3 cherry tomatoes, diced with seeds removed

• A generous pinch of cayenne pepper

• A small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped

• Salt and pepper and a glug of olive oil

1. Turn the flesh of the avocado into a large bowl and mash with a fork, don’t puree it, it’s best with a little bite. Add the rest of the ingredients, finely chopped and mix thoroughly. Serve with nachos.

Cost: Avocados are relatively expensive, but it’s definitely worth it and ultimately works out a lot cheaper than the shop bought version. In total, this large bowl of avocado should cost, at most, £2.20.

92 comments on “Reassuringly Spicy Guacamole

1. lorrielorrieb
    May 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I love ALL things guacamole!!

2. jobakes
    May 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Yummy recipe but ooooo to Wahaca in Covent Garden which was the site of dinner for ohmy very first online foodie friend meet up! It’s the most wonderful restaurant I’ve ever been to and the next time I make it to London I will make a bee line to it. I wrote about it in my London Baby! blog post 😉

I prefer to have my tomatoes separate in a salsa next to my guacamole but really, however you use the mighty avocado – count me in! :)

May 15, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Oh awesome! I need to do a foodie friend meet up :D. I shall check it out. You can remove them if you like 😀

• jobakes
        May 15, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I’ve got a few more planned – is so much fun. Blog posts will follow them all :)

3. Mom Photographer (@MomPhotographer)
    May 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm

sounds great!

4. lifelibertyeducation
    May 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Mexico is North America. Just FYI.

May 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

You are SO right, the first time I’ve ever been caught out on my blog :(. I did know this, but totally didn’t think… Thanks!

• silverbells2012
        May 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Isn’t Mexico in Central America?

May 18, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Well, I suppose one could say that it is although Central America is more an idea rather than an actual continent.

5. divaofdelicious
    May 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Nice Guacamole! I’ve been to Oaxaca Mexico…I wonder if the owners were thinking of that city pronounced the same way. It’s where they make Mezcal tequilla…the one with the agave worm in it that supposedly shows it’s authenticity.

6. thesinglegourmetandtraveller
    May 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I LOVE Wahaca! Brilliant place. Great tequila mojitos as well as great food. Like your guacamole recipe :)

May 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm

It really is, isn’t it? Mmmm I had a beer with salt and lime, was nice.

7. Heather
    May 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Lately I cannot get enough of avocados, your guac looks incredible!

May 18, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Thanks! I’m going to have to make some more I think – so yum.

8. annesturetucker
    May 14, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Perfect guacamole!! I love Covent Garden – Wahaca, I will write it down :-) Thank you!!

9. silverbells2012
    May 14, 2012 at 8:32 pm

If you’ve grown most of the ingredients yourself then you would be spending less than buying the ready-made version from the shop… roll on summer when my produce comes in.
    NB Not growing avocados alas!

May 18, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Exactly. I know, I have so many delicious fruits coming soon 😀

10. Just A Smidgen
    May 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I’m sooo excited you’re doing this series! If anyone could “nail” mexican cuisine, it’ll be you. I’ve wanted to try making more authentic dishes, so really looking forward to this. And.. you’ve begun with my favorite snack.. I’ve never added olive oil.. this would make it perfect!!

May 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thanks, Smidge! I shall try my hardest. Any requests? 😀

11. Juls
    May 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I love Mexican food. I don’t know why I haven’t made more of it. Whilst I’ve never been to Wahaca, they had a stall set up at Jamie’s Food Festival last year on Clapham Common and I fell in love with the quesadillas. I can see you being very good with Mexican fare – it seems to appeal to your mantra in that it is frugal food that is still rich in variety, versatility and flavour.

May 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm

You should go there! Thanks, Juls – that’s so nice 😀

12. creativenoshing
    May 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Looks delicious. BTW my husband is a huge fan of top gear. The British version is his favorite. I am forced to watch every episode and back episode since he just discovered it this year.

May 15, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thanks! Of course it is, the British version is the original and best.You should be happy about having to do so 😀

May 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Perfect guacamole, just how I like it. Will look out for that restaurant next time I´m in London, sounds great!

May 15, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thanks! It’s nice chunky, isn’t it? It’s a really great place to eat.

14. Shira
    May 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I am so reassured to see this delicious guac today Nick! Perfect timing too – I just delighted and horrified a co-worker by tearing open an avocado with my hands and eating it for lunch :)

May 15, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad! I do like to reassure. I don’t think I could do that 😛

15. Conor Bofin
    May 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I was sent out to get avocado yesterday. I ended up in Marks & Spencer trying to find ripe ones, having been to two supermarkets before where they were like bullets. I managed to put my thumb through the skin of two of them. Perhaps a little over-ripe? Two others sufficed though at over €2.00 each, they would want to be good.
    Best,
    Conor

May 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Yes, somewhere between hard as nails and soft as… pillows, is good! That’s expensive! Go elsehwere – M&S is always unreasonably expensive.

• Conor Bofin
        May 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm

They are outrageous. However, I had a gang coming over and I was running out of options. I hate being soaked on food pricing.

16. budgetcookingblog
    May 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I assume Masterchef is the UK equivalent of “Top Chef” in the US.

Question: Are there a lot of American contestants who pop up on UK competitions shows, such as Masterchef, and the singing and dancing competitions? The reason I ask is that on both “Dancing with the Stars” and “American Idol”, competitors from Britain made it to some of the last stages of the competition. It always makes me wonder why they aren’t on the UK counterpart versions of those programs. Is perhaps the competition easier here?

Another aside: One time my daughter and I were in Toronto for a baseball game (we tour baseball stadiums) and we ran across a TV program called “Canadian Idol”, which was the exact same show as “American Idol” except the color scheme was red instead of blue and, obviously, the contestants were from Canada. Even the three judges were the same personality types. I found that to be interesting.

Sorry for my rant. I love your guacamole recipe. Cheers.

May 15, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I suppose it must be… I have no idea – shows like that aren’t really my thing… I don’t even watch masterchef. I don’t mind, I like to read a good rant :D.

17. Clare Cooks!
    May 14, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love Wahaca! It was one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in London. I still dream of their tamarind margaritas.

I have a couple avocados and jalapeños sitting on my counter right now… I think it might be spicy guacamole for dinner! Thanks for sharing.

May 15, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Great, isn’t it? Ooooh, they sounds nice. No problem, Clare.

18. NickkiT
    May 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I love Guacamole with a kick so this recipe sounds perfect. You’ve given me a serious craving for it now!

May 15, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Yes, it’s much nicer with a kick – makes it even more interesting.

19. Janis
    May 15, 2012 at 12:41 am

This would be perfect for the summer, only a little less heat. Another great recipe, cheers!

May 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Absolutely. Well, yes, perhaps – heat is season dependant.

20. Brianne
    May 15, 2012 at 1:58 am

I love guacamole! I can’t wait to see what you come up with for your venture into Mexican cuisine.

May 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Me too, Brianne! The next should be up tomorrow or Sunday.

21. onceuponarecipe
    May 15, 2012 at 4:44 am

I adore guacamole and this recipe sounds spot on. I can almost taste the freshness! Guacamole, some good chips, and a margarita, and you’ve got yourself a fine summer afternoon!

22. Alexiasana
    May 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

oh dear guacamole, how much i adore you! this looks amazing i wanna dig in it RIGHT NOW. I lived in london for almost 2 years but never tried Wahaca.. i guess i must try it next time I am there!

May 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Haha. I couldn’t help myself, it’s all gone now and I ate it all. You must.

23. thecompletecookbook
    May 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

Love a good guacamole.
    :-) Mandy

24. Meagan Rossen
    May 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

I also enjoyed Wahaca when I visited, another great cheap mexican is Cafe Pacifico in Convent Garden. The vegetarian quesadillas are amazing and huge servings for £2.50!

May 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm

It’s great, isn’t it? Very economical indeed.

25. movita beaucoup
    May 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Guacamole. I love it. Wanted it on the weekend. Didn’t get the chance to make any. And now, I will dream of this tonight. (And perhaps make it for lunch tomorrow…) Because your guacamole looks GORGEOUS!!

26. Sara
    May 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm

There was a little place I used to really like in Notting Hill (I believe on Bayswater road or whatever it turns into) that also did Mexican street food. My favorite was the garlicky greens and the chicken tinga. I wonder if Wahaca was around when I lived in London but if it was I never made it there.

May 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm

That sounds great. I shall have to check it out. Wahaca is fairly new I think.

27. Willow
    May 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Your guac looks lovely. I’m a big fan of guacamole (and am the designated guacamole maker whenever there are fresh avocados in the house) and yours sounds just perfect! :)

May 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Haha, guac. I’ve started calling it that now. Thanks, Willow.

28. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy
    May 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I will have to start spicing up my guacamole….looks fab!

May 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm

You should, it’s lovely with a bit of a kick.

29. lambyknits01
    May 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Yum! I love guacamole :) Your looks perfectly chunky and delicious 😉

May 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Thanks! It’s so much nicer chunky, rather than smooth.

30. susartandfood
    May 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I just had guacamole from the weekend with my egg white omelet – this looks excellent. I could eat avocados in one form or another with every meal.

May 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm

That sounds great! Me too, they are delicious.

31. tfyvie
    May 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thanks for checking out my blog…I have added Wahaca to my list of places to visit! If you are wanting some Mexican inspired recipes to try out, then def give the Smokey Corn salsa (on my pinterest page http://pinterest.com/tfyvie/recipes) once corn is plentiful and cheap…although with this summer, it’s not looking too good!

May 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Yes, definitely go there! That sounds good, I shall check it out.

32. k.m.
    May 16, 2012 at 2:02 am

Thomasina Miers’s recipes are a delight; I have tried a few but not yet the guacamole. It’s perfect summer food, and I love the addition of cayenne pepper.

May 18, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’ve not seen any of her recipes – I’m not really a recipe kinda guy, but I’ll do a quick search and have a look. They cayenne was there to make then entire thing spicy rather than little chunks.

33. KatsHealthCorner
    May 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Oh my gosh, my dad LOVE all things spicy! Guacamole is one of his favorites. Thanks for sharing this! :)

May 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Make him some, I’m sure he’d appreciate it.

34. Simran S. & Stacie D.
    May 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

We love our guacamole spicy! there is no other way to eay it :)

35. Márcia Gonçalves
    May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

What a delicious guacamole :)
    Thanks for sharing !

36. weweremeanttosparkle
    May 17, 2012 at 7:01 am

Guacamole is so good, and this one sounds delicious!

May 17, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Why Nick! That looks just like the guac I make – and LOVE! Beautiful, and I love your little label! And I’m happy to see you’ll be bringing out more Mex recipes!

May 18, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Awesome! Though, I think they all look pretty and green. I LOVE those labels. So cool for labelling presents.

38. Cara
    May 18, 2012 at 4:36 am

If you come to North America, I will strap a backpack on you full of drugs and take you down to Mexico. Wait. That isn’t what you meant now is it? But that would be fun wouldn’t it? :)
    P.S. Is that your handwriting?
    P.P.S. Guacamole is my most favorite thing to eat ever. Ever. EVER.

May 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hmmmm, that wouldn’t turn out well for me I don’t think. Yes it is, roughly. Isn’t it just lovely? Really nice as a dip or a spread.

39. veggiezest
    May 21, 2012 at 3:30 am

I just LOVE Guac!! will be trying this recipe very soon! Thanks for passing by my blog, and for following it!

May 24, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Isn’t it one of the best dips? thanks for taking the time to repay the visit :)

40. butternutrition
    May 21, 2012 at 4:06 am

my mouth is watering!

41. Val
    June 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

This looks lovely… now to find a ripe avocado!
    Also, nice to see a Masterchef contestant doing well!

42. danielaniculi
    May 5, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I love guacamole, i love avocado and this recipe looks fantastic! I guess cayenne pepper makes this guacamole more tasty!
    I like your job !