Wheat, Rye and Linseed (Flax) Bread

Baking bread is one of those inimitable acts of kitchen purity that appears to impress a great deal everyone one should stumble upon. Thankfully, once one has achieved the knack for bread baking it isn’t at all difficult, barring the odd catastrophic mistake. Indeed, this recipe is born out of one such mistake, an error which left me with what can only be described as a weapon of seed infested dread. Well, either that or an incredibly dense bird feeder. Anyway, following on from that mistake it seemed appropriate to give the idea one more chance. So, the original and inestimably mistaken recipe found itself consigned wholeheartedly to the rubbish dump, never to see the light of day again. This time I would go it alone and use only my bread making instinct to make a delicious loaf. Thankfully, my efforts were rewarded with the boule you see before you.

White bread is all well and good; it yields the best crumb. However, it only very rarely achieves the feat of being as interesting as a loaf which contains another flour, such as wholemeal or rye. As such, it was deemed best to in some way combine the two along with the interesting grain afforded by the seeds. Indeed, despite the relatively small amount of linseed on offer in this bread, their golden colour and delicious taste shines through wonderfully.

As you shall see from the cost found below the recipe, everyone should be making their own bread. Besides, bread of this simplicity and quality is only rarely found in the supermarket. One solution to this problem would be to venture into the proud den of an artisan baker, in order to acquire such a loaf. However, purchasing bread from such places tends to have more in common with being stolen from or extorted, than it does grocery shopping. Oh well, one must suppose that they are performing an admirable service; their bread isn’t full of the excrement found in that which is mass produced.

Wheat, Rye and Linseed (Flax) Bread

Makes 1 loaf

• 450g strong white bread flour

• 50g rye flour

• 1 tbsp of linseeds (flax), be generous

• 7g sachet of fast action dried yeast

• A glug of olive oil

• A generous pinch of salt

• 300ml warm water

1. Place the yeast in a bowl along with a splash of warm water, set aside. Put the flours, seeds and salt into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Tip in the yeast after it has been left standing for 5 minutes, the oil and ¾ of the water. Bring the ingredients together, it should be sticky and malleable, but not wet; the remaining water may be needed. Knead the dough on a floury surface for 10 minutes, shape and place on a floured baking tray. Leave it to rise under a tea towel and in a warm place for 1-1 ½ hours.

2. Preheat the oven to 230C. Slit the top of the risen dough and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the underneath sounds hollow when tapped. Leave it to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour.

Cost: This entire loaf should set one back no more than 60p. That’s an absolute bargain, especially when you consider the fact that a dedicated bakery would charge upwards of £3 for something similar. Even then it may not taste as good.

61 comments on “Wheat, Rye and Linseed (Flax) Bread

April 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Pretty impressive. I thought flax was something you made clothing with. Guess not. I’ve heard of linseed oil.

2. Peter - The Roaming GastroGnome
    April 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I too bake our own bread. So much better than the overpriced stuff in the stores. No punch-down and second rise for this?

April 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for the laugh and the recipe! I love learning from kitchen failures. I’m going to have to convert your measurements (thank goodness for google!) but that looks divine. I’m obsessed with artisan breadmaking lately and have found it to be ridiculously simple AND cheap. Who knew? Check out this post if you are interested http://goodcleanfood.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/banana-bread-larabar-diy-recipe-artisan-bread-pandemonium/

May 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm

haha, no problem! There are conversion links at the top of my page. I adore bread making, it really is simple.

• Somer
        May 2, 2012 at 6:29 am

Ah, good to know! Thanks!

April 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I love love love baking bread – it is so satisfying to see a beautiful loaf emerge from the oven and to know that you made something so delicious out of flour and water, essentially – and equally satisfying to know that it only cost pennies!

May 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I know, so satisfying. I did it again today :D. It’s good to get back into bread making practice.

5. Sarah
    April 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Next time you have a failed loaf of bread, make bread crumbs or croutons. The really failed (flat, dense and unrisen) might be too dense for croutons, but will make fine breadcrumbs. I did a post on it a few weeks ago. Check it out if you like –

Your bread looks delicious! I love to tinker and make up my own bread recipes, which work most of the time.

May 1, 2012 at 11:20 pm

It wouldn’t have made fine anything, I didn’t even bake it… I would have otherwise. Thanks, Sarah.

6. movita beaucoup
    April 26, 2012 at 5:19 pm

This makes me terribly excited about heading to baking school next year – I’m doing a bread-based program. There is nothing – nothing – like the smell of freshly baked bread. And this here bread looks like a winner…

May 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Oh wow, awesome, Movita! I agree completely, it makes one’s mouth water immediately.

7. Villy
    April 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I find bread baking very intimidating… But I surely want to try once. Plenty of birds around anyway :)
    That loaf looks great!

May 1, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Oh no! Just go with the flow :D. It’s something you have to practise at. Thanks, Villy.

April 26, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I’ve been playing around with bread too. Great recipe, Frugal Your boule looks beautiful.

9. thekalechronicles
    April 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I’m quite happy to have artisan bakeries for the days when I am not up to baking bread in my own kitchen and for products, such as well-structured sourdough baguettes that I have not mastered at home yet. Home-baked bread is wonderful — I have probably never let it cool for a full hour though, except for the second loaf of two.

May 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Fair enough, each to their own I suppose. It is hard to let it cool :D.

10. otownmommy
    April 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm

looks delicious! i have felt like making a loaf of bread for the last week, though I have been told that it isn’t the best idea to make bread when it is muggy outside because it does not rise as well. Not sure if that is just a tale though. Think I may make a loaf this afternoon :)

• Sarah
      April 27, 2012 at 2:13 am

otownmommy, I live in Missouri, and it is always humid here, except for the dead of winter. My bread rises fine no matter what the humidity and if it is warm and muggy, it rises all the better from the warm temps! Hope you baked your bread anyway, despite the weather!

• otownmommy
        April 27, 2012 at 3:06 am

thanks- ya i kind of had a feeling it was just a tale… i mean it rains all the time in Vancouver and London (though i have never been there- just hearsay)

May 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Yes, I thought it must be – perhaps it has more to do with natural yeast, rather than the stuff you add.

May 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

apparently a warm temperature doesn’t make much of a difference, room temperature is apparently adequate.

May 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I hope the loaf turned out well.

11. cooktocure
    April 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Aaahh… I can smell the yeasty fragrance! There really isn’t anything quite like creating a loaf of grainy goodness. I will try this with 75% whole wheat flour to fit my diet. Will report back. Cheers!
    Hoda

May 6, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Good idea! Please do. I always like to hear how things turned out.

12. katherineboyle
    April 26, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Beautiful loaf of bread! Will definitely have to try this recipe.

13. Just A Smidgen
    April 27, 2012 at 12:20 am

This is my favorite sort of bread.. the seeds and nutty color.. I’ll just bet it’s fantastic all by itself or smeared with bread just out of the oven. It’s raining today… this would be the perfect loaf to bake:)

14. Maya Oryan
    April 27, 2012 at 6:37 am

IT LOOKS PERFECT!

15. Juls
    April 27, 2012 at 9:30 am

Rye is one of my absolute favourite flours and this is one handsome loaf! Another helpful and lovely recipe from you Mr. Frugal!

May 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I adore it, it has such a fantastic flavour! Thanks, Juls.

16. soffiagudrun
    April 27, 2012 at 10:05 am

Looking good. Why buy store bought breads with 40 ingredients when you can make something like this!

17. Alexiasana
    April 27, 2012 at 11:33 am

I just found your blog and absolutely love it! Iam a big fan of homemade breads, especially rye, spelt and kamut. it looks delicious!

May 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I’m glad you found it too. I’ve never heard of kamut. I shall look it up.

18. Willow
    April 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Beautiful loaf! Freshly baked bread has got to be one of the best culinary experiences, which so many people seem to miss out on. Not only smelling and eating it, but the very act of creating it can be so rewarding!

I just learnt of your blog from your guest post at Fork and Beans – Cara has never steered me wrong. Your writing is fabulous and I’m loving all the recipes I’ve seen so far. I look forward to reading more!

May 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thanks! Way more people should be baking bread. I hope you continue to visit this blog – I see that you have :D.

19. susartandfood
    April 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I was just getting ready to try a muffin recipe with flax seed. This looks yummy.

April 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm

A dose of rye, a good glug of olive oil, time in the oven, then a big splat of butter, I’m all over this loaf Nick. Looks fantastic!

May 1, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thanks, spree. It was absolutely gorgeous! It made great toast.

21. Shira
    April 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I never dod tell you how incredible this bread looks Nick…I am just starting with my own breads and making peace with yeast. It’s a battle, but I think I am winning :)

May 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Haha, thanks, Shira! I’m glad you did :). You’ll get there; it’s not too difficult really.

22. Anna
    April 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Wow you made your own Bread! Amazing. We have done pizza dough and pasta, but have yet to try making a real loaf of bread.

Keep it up! :)

May 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Indeed, I do. Give it a go, it’s not hard at all!

23. Pat Tanner
    April 28, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I’m always on the lookout for a good recipe using flaxseed. The photos alone mean it’s next on my ‘to bake’ list. Thanks!

24. Aimee@clevermuffin
    April 29, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’m with you on the cost of bread – I always get really annoyed paying $4-6 (yes, that truly is the cost of a fancier load of bread with seeds at the supermarket in Australia) when I know how cheaply I could make it!.Nice work going recipe free too!

May 1, 2012 at 11:05 pm

It really is very annoying. That’s rather a lot. Thanks, Aimee.

25. Spoon Feast
    April 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Great loaf Frugal! I make all of our bread every week and use a sour culture I manage to keep alive. I couldn’t go back to buying bread knowing how much they charge for a single loaf. Besides, homemade bread is delicious.
    Love all the seeds!

May 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thanks! I have another to post soon too – I adore making bread. The seeds give it a great texture.

April 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

What a lovely loaf. We don´t really get a great variety of flours here, but will keep my eyes peeled!