American-Style Buttermilk Pancakes

This recipe is, I’m afraid, the last in the group of those photographed whilst I was away visiting Katherine a couple of weeks ago. While this wouldn’t usually be a problem, as many of you will know, the frugal household is without a properly functioning kitchen. However, the hob and oven are now in, as is the sink. So, it is possible that I’ll be able to cook something and photograph it in the coming days, thus bringing to a close this most turbulent period in my life, in which I’ve experienced withdrawal symptoms aplenty. Seriously, I’ve not been able to actually grip anything for the past two weeks; my palms have been simply too sweaty. The less said about my recurrent heart palpitations, the better.

This post is my 124th, but oddly enough it is the first that has been specifically geared towards breakfast. I don’t know why, but breakfast has never really enthralled me. To start my day I tend to eat a rather popular chocolate cereal, have a piece of toast with marmite and soft cheese, or simply refrain from breaking my fast at all. This is all very bad practice, but to be honest, I’m not very good in the mornings and would rather have a quick and easy breakfast than get up, cook an impressively time consuming meal and get about my day. However, this may change over the course of the next couple of months, partly because I like taking photos of my food using only the light of the sun and partly because I really should make more of an effort!

Do you like my little pancake pan? I bought it as part of my graduation present whilst visiting Katherine and haven’t looked back, despite having only used it once. It’s brilliant, in that it virtually ensures that one’s pancakes are exactly the same size every time. I’m a little pedantic about that sort of thing, so in my world it was an ideal buy. Though, it’s really much better for the American style of pancake, by which I mean thick and airy, than for the British style which is essentially a crêpe. Apologies for any offense which my pancakes may inflict to the body of my American readers, the naming is simply the observation of one potentially naïve British citizen.

American-Style Buttermilk Pancakes

Makes 12-14

• 100g plain flour

• ½ tsp baking powder

• A pinch of salt

• 80ml of buttermilk

• 50ml of cold water

• 2 eggs, lightly beaten

• Oil or butter for frying

1. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. In a separate jug, mix together the buttermilk and the water. Gradually whisk the wet mixture into the dry, before beating in the eggs one at a time until smooth.

2. Using a large, thick based frying pan, or small purpose-built pancake pan, fry off roughly 1 ½ tbsp of the mixture in a little oil or butter. If using a very large pan doing two or three of these at once may be possible. Each pancake takes roughly 1 minute on each side to turn golden brown. Keep them warm in a low oven until ready to be devoured with a little maple, or golden, syrup.

Cost: An entire batch of these pancakes should be achievable for a mere £1. Though, I suppose that one could spice them up a little by adding some dried fruit, which would make them a little more expensive to produce. Enjoy!

82 comments on “American-Style Buttermilk Pancakes

1. RecipeAdaptors
    November 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Those look fantastic. A great recipe for your first breakfast post!

2. Just A Smidgen
    November 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I love a good pancake for breakfast. I’ve never seen a pancake pan, awesome that they are the same size each time!

November 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm

When I saw it I knew I just had to buy it! 😀

3. movita beaucoup
    November 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Oh, you need to get your kitchen back. I can’t imagine! Also, I really do like your pancake pan. I just made some pancakes on the weekend. Each was a different size. Ovals, circles, jellybean shaped. Very unattractive. Maybe I need a special pancake pan!

November 20, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I really do :P. I was going to bake bread and a cake today, but we found a leak :(. You should get one, they’re fairly cheap 😀

4. gardenfreshtomatoes
    November 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm

A perfect rendition of American pancakes, and a mouth-watering photo to boot!

Hope your kitchen’s back in order soon – I know exactly how you feel about broken routines. They give me the shakes, too….

5. Joanne
    November 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I wasn’t a fan of breakfast for a long time, until I learned to cook things I really enjoy. A lot of breakfast foods aren’t very good, you know? And sometimes I just eat leftover dinner for breakfast LOL. But pancakes are always a good choice!

November 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I know! I’ve been eating chocolate cereal recently :P. Probably shouldn’t admit that on here…

6. Paige
    November 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

My breakfast usually consists of savory leftovers or vast quantities of tea and coffee. This is definitely something I need to add to my breakfast rotation!

November 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm

One shouldn’t drink too much coffee, though even I do if I’m particularly tired in the morning 😀

7. Sara
    November 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I love breakfast food…in fact when we were growing up we sometimes had breakfast for dinner (eggs, pancakes, etc, not choco-puffs!). I like making sourdough pancakes because you mix it all up the night before and only have to be conscious enough to heat up the griddle in the AM. (Yeasted pancakes/waffles are the same). I also love making quick breads, scones and muffins for breakfast, though I usually make them the night before–though I think you can refrigerate as well if you’re set on having them “freshly baked.” Sorry about your kitchen, sounds like agony.

November 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Those look perfect, crisp and buttery on the outside and soft on the inside. Hate to hear about the kitchen.

November 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Positively perfect little morning cakes! Soon you’ll be drinking coffee like us yanks. (Or are you doing that already?) That, together with morning light (and now your beautiful pancakes) will make mornings worth waking for. Still wishing your kitchen a rapid recovery!

November 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Well, I do enjoy a good morning coffee – I think most people have tea though.

10. anna.r.johnson
    November 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm

These look fantastic! I hope your kitchen gets fixed soon!

11. elaina
    November 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Loving the pancake pan m’dear!!! Cheers :)

12. simplycooking101
    November 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

They are beautiful and I’m so glad you’ll have your kitchen back. I have a friend who says she only has a kitchen because it came with the house which I find just so wrong – it’s the best part of my house.

November 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Thanks! That really is wrong. It’s the centre of the house for me.

13. Ggerri
    November 16, 2011 at 11:26 am

Been craving pancakes… That photo just heightened my craving… Nom…

14. Sifting and Sowing
    November 16, 2011 at 11:31 am

A lovely pancake pan! And delicious looking pancakes too. I’m not all that good at making breakfast either, but so worth while when you have the time, it’s one of the best meals!

November 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Thanks! It’s loving all the attention it’s getting.

15. homemadeadventure
    November 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm

these look awesome – I love weekend pancakes! Hope your kitchen is back in working order soon!

November 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Thanks1 Oh it will be full functional very soon.

16. bakedcottonstar
    November 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm

These look amazing! I must try them as an alternative to my usual recipe. Thanks.

17. cityhippyfarmgirl
    November 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Love that pancake pan, and pancakes?…always a good time for pancakes!

November 20, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I’ve never been a massive fan, but these were lovely.

18. musingmar
    November 17, 2011 at 2:17 am

Looks delicious and entirely maple syrup-worthy!

19. Kay aka Babygirl
    November 17, 2011 at 7:11 am

I can totally see me making buttermilk pancakes on a lazy morning and just enjoying the scenery from NYC. I love it. Thanks for the recipe

November 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Give them a go and let me know how you found them :)

20. Karen
    November 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm

The photo of your pancakes make me hungry. Buttermilk gives such a wonderful flavor to pancakes. Hope you will have a fully functioning kitchen soon.

21. Smedette
    November 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Buttermilk pancakes are the best. Great job.

22. promenadeplantings
    November 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

That is a VERY cute pan, what a wonderful present :) and the pancakes look delicious too !

November 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Oh yes, it was a very welcome present 😀

23. growalabama
    November 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Irresistible eating. :-)

24. myorganizednest
    November 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Wow, those look AMAZINGLY delicious! And I am certainly not offended by the American naming. Who cares, when they look as yummy as that, right?

25. Michelle
    November 18, 2011 at 3:16 am

These look wonderful! Makes me feel like a not so good American, though, as I almost never cook breakfast anymore, fluffy pancakes or otherwise.

November 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Haha, don’t worry. No one will think any the less of you 😀

26. Granny
    November 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Love the pan… and the pancakes look like a wonderful mix of British style and American form. No offense whatsoever. Bet they were divine!

27. oregoncomforts
    November 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Your photographs are beautiful. And being an all American gal, I love, love, love pancakes! Great job!

28. Kelly
    November 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Love how the syrup is dripping off the pancakes. It’s too bad I’m trying desperately to stay away from carbs…
    and did you know you can mix vinegar with milk to make your own buttermilk? Just a frugal little tip for you…

November 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Thanks! :d. There’s nothing wrong with a few carbs here and there… exercise is the main thing :D. I didn’t know that! Though I don’t use it that often.

29. alternative eating
    November 19, 2011 at 11:57 am

Congratulations on your first breakfast post:) They look really good:) I’m a big fan of pancakes:) :)

November 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Thanks, I’m getting there on the pancake loving front.

30. sourdoughtheangrybaker
    November 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hey Frugal, why the water in the recipe? I made buttermilk pancakes last night, but I go half buttermilk, half regular to thin them out a bit so they aren’t so thick. Just wondering, good looking pancakes!

November 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Don’t know really, perhaps it’s the Britishness showing through? It is essentially for the same reason you put normal milk in… neither will add any recognisable flavour.

31. thelittleloaf
    November 21, 2011 at 7:52 am

Breakfast is one of my favourite meals of the day so can’t imagine not being that fussed about it (or existing on coco pops!)… For someone not that bothered these pancakes look particularly delicious though and love your little pan :-)

November 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Thanks! I’m sure I’ll get into breakfast more in the future… I have no problem with it, in theory.

32. Nise en Scène
    November 22, 2011 at 2:08 am

Looks absolutely amazing. Will try this soon at breakfast!

33. Carroll
    November 23, 2011 at 1:16 am

O Gosh- I would really like these in the morning!!

34. sixteencupcakes
    November 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm

It’s quite annoying that I’m sitting here eating my boring toast when I see this post. Damn they look good! 😀

November 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Don’t worry. I eat boring toast most mornings.

35. Rita D.
    November 28, 2011 at 4:38 am

I love pancakes for breakfast, but our absolute favorite thing to do here is make breakfast foods for our evening meal!

Sorry you’ve been working without a kitchen. My oven went out over the summer and it drove me crazy!

December 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

They are lovely for breakfast, very quick and easy. It drove me a bit crazy too…

36. Margaret Mason Tate
    November 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I love making pancakes because it’s not much more trouble to double or triple the batch, cook dozens and let them cool before parceling them out into personal portions and freezing. Anything that freezes well is A-OK with me!

December 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Exactly! I think I shall make some more very soon.

37. Casey
    December 2, 2011 at 5:06 am

WOW! Those look absolutely incredible!! I would totally dig right into those, wanna comeover Sunday and make me some?? lol

December 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Thanks, Casey! I’m working Sunday, I’m afraid :P.

38. foodieonthe49th
    December 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Wow. This is a popular post. Those pancakes look fantastic, almost crepe like. Is there a type of pancake that Europeans would normally eat? Or is there just a name for eat regional pacake like dutch, amerian, french, etc.?

December 11, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Haha, I suppose it is. I have quite a few now :). Well. Europeans would eat a crepe which are paper thin – though, we call them pancakes in Britain. American pancakes, to me, are thick. We also have scotch pancakes which are very similar to American ones.

39. alamericaine
    December 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

Looks very appetizing! A little less fluffy than what I’m used to, and more crepe-y, if that makes sense. Still, you’ve managed to make me crave pancakes! Sounds like you did your job 😉

December 15, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Thanks. They were surprisingly fluffy inside, I promise.

40. foodieonthe49th
    December 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I was just thinking that the pancakes in the picture were a bit thin. But, I think I would prefer them that way. I can only eat one American style pancake before I get sick of them. I’ll have to try it your way some time.

December 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Really? They are very thick for here. Silly Brit, aren’t I? You should, my way isn’t usually too bad.

• foodieonthe49th
        December 16, 2011 at 4:28 am

American pancakes are overrated. I’m sure yours taste better

January 1, 2012 at 1:37 pm