Chestnut Mushroom and Chickpea Burgers

This is my first day off from work since last Monday, which may not sound very absurd to those of you who have worked full-time for years, but I’m really not used to it. I didn’t work a single day whilst at university, which means for the best part of 3 years I’ve had only to concentrate on studies and music – thank God I’m working expressly to go back to university and do a Master’s degree. As such, I can’t really complain – I need just about as much money as I can happily earn. However, it does mean that blogging regularly can be a little difficult, hence the lack of new post over the past few days.

A day off has, however, allowed me to get back to creating slightly inventive lunches. These burgers or patties – whatever you want to call them – really are incredibly delicious, far better than I thought they would be. They also happened to be exceedingly frugal and frightfully healthy. Actually, on the flavour side of things I do have one piece of advice: use chestnut mushrooms. They have such an amazing, intense, nutty flavour that normal white or button mushrooms simply don’t possess. Cost wise they are slightly more expensive, but at only 10 pence more expensive per 100g I’m sure we’ll live with that.

These burgers have also reaffirmed my love for simple vegetarian food. Someone I know recently made the point that cuisine that is sans meat requires a little extra care and attention to ensure that it has a complete body of flavour. While I know this isn’t always the case and that it is a bit of a generalisation, it remains a good point and is one of the reasons behind my enjoyment of vegetarian cooking.

Chestnut Mushroom and Chickpea Burgers

Makes 4 burgers

• 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped

• 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

• 2 large cloves of garlic, mashed

• ½ tsp ground cumin

• ½ tsp ground coriander

• ¼ tsp ground turmeric

• ½ tsp chilli flakes

• Large handful of breadcrumbs, 80-100g

• Small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped

• Seasoning

• Olive oil

1. Fry the garlic and spices off quickly in some hot oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until almost dry. Expect lots of water to be released from the mushrooms.

2. Mash the chickpeas with a fork leaving them with a little texture, a quick turn in the food processor would have the same effect.

3. Mix together the mushrooms, chickpeas, breadcrumbs and coriander, season well and shape into 4 burgers. Fry in olive oil until golden brown on each side. Serve in a bun or in a wrap with some salad and a sauce of your choice. They would also be delicious with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

Cost: The ingredients which were used to create these four burgers came to around £1.70. Considering that I’d quite happily eat one of these instead of a beef burger, and perhaps even prefer to do so, that’s a pretty damn goof price!

108 comments on “Chestnut Mushroom and Chickpea Burgers

1. Bluejellybeans
    September 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Yum! nice recipe. Enjoy your free time now :)

2. jamieott
    September 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Looks delicious, almost falafel and is probably good with a garlic yogurt sauce. I’ll have to give this a try as I have a large can of chick peas in my cabinet. I thought that you might have added chestnuts rather than chestnut mushrooms to this burger, that’s an interesting idea as well.

September 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Oh yes it would be delicious with that! I guess chestnuts would taste nice in this, but chestnut mushrooms are to die for. Also, chestnuts would have added cost.

• Maija Haavisto
        December 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hmm… Here in the Netherlands fresh chestnut mushrooms cost several times more than fresh chestnuts, even without taking into the account the fact that mushrooms shrivel a lot while cooking while chestnuts don’t (even if you have to discard the shells). Though of course you’d spend more time peeling the chestnuts, but it would still be way cheaper.

(Even if you used vacuum-packed chestnuts it would still be cheaper, considering that the mushrooms lose most of their weight when frying while the chestnuts don’t lose anything.)

P.S. The recipe sounds very tasty, it’s too bad I can’t really eat chickpeas any more.

December 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Well… they are vastly different ingredients. Chestnut mushrooms are probably only called that because of their colour. A far more suitable replacement would be an average mushroom, or whatever is fairly cheap to buy there… the recipe is very tasty 😀

• Maija Haavisto
        December 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I wasn’t talking about “replacements”, I was referring to your comment “I guess chestnuts would taste nice in this, but chestnut mushrooms are to die for. Also, chestnuts would have added cost.”, noting that using chestnuts instead of chestnut mushrooms wouldn’t have added to the cost (at least here), but quite the opposite. Of course the result would be very different, since they are two entirely different things. Both would likely be delicious. Sadly it’s not something I can try.

December 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I’m fairly certain there would be added cost here. Sorry for the misunderstanding – I didn’t see the comment chain. It’s a shame you can’t try them.

September 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Whoa! That’s an excellent photo! That looks good!

September 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Thanks sens. Glad you enjoyed it, it was so delicious. Got 3 more in fridge too. Yum.

4. A Yabanci in Turkey
    September 18, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Like you, not vegetarian, but looking forward to trying these. I might even be able to get my daughter (who’s 2 and eats meat or bread & little else) to give them a try – they look luscious…

September 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I hope you do! Let me know how they turn out.

5. ceciliag
    September 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I love chick pea burgers and i can never make them right, i will try this recipe next time!.. c

September 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Looks amazing and very hearty. Great pics, as always!

7. toritakesabite
    September 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm

This looks SO good. Adding it on my list of things to make next weekend :)

8. jewaicious
    September 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Nice sounding recipe.

9. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
    September 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oh that’s good – when I saw the post title come up in my email reader, I thought..”bugger, chestnuts, they’re not cheap here..”. :) Neither are chestnut mushrooms, but I do have a stack of exotic mushies that I bought quite reasonably priced at the markets last week, and there’s always chick peas at our house.

Did you know that you can buy dried chickpeas, soak them, and then freeze them. So anytime you need chickpeas, they can be boiled from frozen without needing to soak them again! A lovely older Lebanese lady taught me that trick.. :)

September 18, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Give them a go! Yeh I know you can, but as a can is only 30p I think I’d rather avoid that whole palaver.

10. Miss Sensuous
    September 18, 2011 at 11:54 pm

This photo caught my eye as soon as I logged in – it looks divine!
    I love mushrooms and chickpeas – I’m adding this to my list of things to make! x

September 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Thanks so much! I thought it was one of my better photos. The lighting was perfect, bright but not too sunny. Please do make them, they are exquisite.

11. Kosher Culinary and Pastry
    September 19, 2011 at 2:11 am

Those burgers look amazing!!, mouth-watering even. My family is obsessed with all those veggie burger recipes … I’m definitely going to try this recipe one day this week!

September 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Thanks so much. Please do try them, they are delicious. I think I prefer these to beef burgers, and that’s saying something… perhaps I even prefer them to lamb burgers… don’t tell anyone I said that.

12. foulmouthedkitchen
    September 19, 2011 at 2:39 am

I’m always cautious of veggie burgers being a hard core carnie but these look and sound delicious! I think I may give them a try later on this month. Once I do, I’ll send you the post and we can compare. Cheers! H

September 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Please do try them and remember to send me a post. I love meat too, but I think the flavour of veggie burgers are perhaps even better than that of meat burgers!

13. inpursuitofrealfood
    September 19, 2011 at 2:57 am

Great post, I def want to try this!

14. onceuponarecipe
    September 19, 2011 at 6:04 am

Looks utterly delicious, as usual! I’ve never tried chickpea burgers, what a great idea for an alternative veggie burger!

September 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thanks so much, really glad you like the look of them. I always like creating new burger recipes 😀

15. thecompletecookbook
    September 19, 2011 at 8:31 am

ooh, what a fantastic idea – I have a sister-on-law who is a vegetarian so I am always looking for new ideas.
    Have a super Monday.
    :-) Mandy

September 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Oh cool, I hope she enjoys them… if you try them that is 😀

16. Kimby
    September 19, 2011 at 11:01 am

Loved the seasonings you picked for this. (Great photo, too!) Best wishes on your Masters!

September 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to start it…

17. chicaandaluza
    September 19, 2011 at 11:29 am

Am not a veggie but really enjoy meat free food – expecially as we grow so many of our own vegetables. We have a good local grower of chickpeas and in a month or so should have a good supply of oyster mushrooms, so will be giving these a go!

September 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I’m not a veggie either… I currently have a great big plate of bolognese in front of me. Please let me know if you liked them.

18. malaysiagirl
    September 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

That is quite brilliant. Looks fantastic.

19. Grace@ FoodFitnessFreshair
    September 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

These look and sound awesome! I wonder where I can pick up some chestnut mushrooms…or maybe I’ll experiment with some baby portobellas. When it comes to vegetarian cuisine, burgers are always a success!

September 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Thanks so much. Probably in the local super market. They aren’t hard to find here at all. I suppose any mushrooms would work wonders.

20. thelittleloaf
    September 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Great post. I was veggie for almost nine years, but now I’m a fully fledged meat eater I often find it hard to remember what I used to make to get me excited about vegetarian food. These look delicious – reckon I could even pass them off on my carniverous boyfriend which is high praise indeed :-)

September 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Thanks! I could never be a veggie, but I do love the veggie food I make. Please try them on him, I guess they are sort of meaty because mushrooms have a meaty quality about them.

21. Mandy Spaulding
    September 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm

These look fantastic! I love your photos!

September 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Thanks so much. I try to take as much care as possible.

22. ambrosiana
    September 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love veggie burgers…well I love burger..anyway you cook it!!.. I have never heard of this combination…very creative and delicious!!

September 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Me too! They have such a lovely flavour – if made at home. You should try them, they are deeeelish.

23. Yinzerella
    September 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I totally hear what you’re saying about working full-time, cooking, and then blogging on top of it. Not enough hours in the day, I tell ya.

24. lambyknits01
    September 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm

“They also happened to be exceedingly frugal and frightfully healthy.” – loved this line! 😉 I have yet to make a veggie patty, but the addition of mushrooms is unique – most I have seen are made with black beans. These sound and look wonderful :)

25. Joanne
    September 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

These are SO unique and interesting. I love chickpeas (and these remind me of falafel)!

26. Smedette
    September 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm

This sounds amazing – cannot wait to try! Though, I will have to find an equivalent to “chestnut mushrooms”; I’ve never heard of these and are unsure they are available in the States.

Well done!

September 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm

They must be… surely. Perhaps they go by a different name?

27. Chef Lee Brown
    September 20, 2011 at 4:21 am

Great recipe! Great photography too! What kind of camera did you use? Did you use a macro lens too? I’m a classically trained chef with over 20 years of experience and I’ve got to say that I truly love both your recipe and your photography work (my Dad was a professional photographer, so I know a little about that too :) Awesome post….

September 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Thanks so much. I just use a point and shoot with the macro setting on. Nothing fancy. Cost me £100 a few months ago. I can’t wait to get a DSLR though, but I think I make the best of what I’ve got.

28. Carly
    September 20, 2011 at 5:28 am

These look beyond amazing. It’s 1 AM and I’m wondering if this is a silly midnight snack… yum!

September 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

They definitely aren’t a silly midnight snack. Go for it!

29. katiebarlow
    September 20, 2011 at 5:51 am

ummm…yum!!! I have some chestnuts just sitting in my cupboard. Now I know what I am using them for!

30. katiebarlow
    September 20, 2011 at 5:55 am

ok just read that it is chestnut mushrooms! woops! well I love mushrooms so they still sound absolutely yummy to me and I am in the process of cooking up some chickpeas so I think I will make these soon. Although I have never heard of chestnut mushrooms either :) so I will have to see if I can find some!

September 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Yeh sorry, some people have been a little confused. Notice the lack of comma 😛 I guess you could add chestnuts though.

31. emilysincerely
    September 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Wow – these look great. This is very similar in ingredients to a chickpea burger I make(carrot, celery, chickpea, breadcrumbs, egg, seasonings.)The chickpeas are cooked, but everything else is raw. I like the texture look of yours and they seem to have held together very well. Mine tend to fall apart.Adding the fresh coriander (cilantro where I come from) sounds wonderful. I will definitely adapt mine more now that I have seen another recipe. I take a whole bag of chick peas and cook them up and freeze them in the amounts needed for things like my burger, just another step to save a few more cents for me. I do the same with black beans. Emily

September 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Sounds lovely! It helps if you refrigerate them first if you find them falling apart. I thought adding coriander would add a little freshness and colour. I’m kind of lazy, so I prefer using tinned chick peas – still extremely cheap! Glad you liked my recipe 😀

32. Marisa's Low Carb Kitchen Talk
    September 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

WOW those look yummy!!! I am going to have to try them real soon. Thanks for visiting my blog :-)

33. ryesandshine
    September 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I cannot wait to try this… hopefully this weekend! I’m always on the hunt for new veggie burger recipes.

34. foodblogandthedog
    September 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm

This sound delish, I wish we could get those mushrooms here. I might substitute some dried soaked mushrooms to increase the flavour. Did they stick together okay without an egg?

September 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thanks! I’m sure you must be able to! Your way sounds very good though. Yeh, they stuck together just fine 😀

35. Arturo Féliz-Camilo
    September 21, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’m not vegetarian, but love vegetarian food. I’m specially fond of veggie burguers and this one is amazing!! Thanks for checking my fish “Boca Chica” Style and giving the chance of finding your blog!! congrats!!

September 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I’m exactly the same. No problem, I enjoyed your blog too.

36. Becky
    September 22, 2011 at 12:43 am

wow, these look and sound fantastic! I cant wait to try them. The mushrooms sound like they will make a nice addition to the chickpeas!!!

37. Dalai Lina
    September 22, 2011 at 3:28 am

First, this looks totally amazing. Surprisingly, I have NEVER tried to make a vegan burger. When I went into the grocery store to ask for “fresh coriander” they showed me the cilantro. Funny, I never knew that in the US we call it cilantro when it is fresh and coriander when it is dry!

September 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Oh you should, they are so awesome. That’s very strange… it’s all just coriander here.

38. Professor Vegetable
    September 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Looks delicious! I want to try making it but I don’t know what a chestnut mushroom is or if we have them here. In fact, converting the metric will probably be easier than finding said mushrooms. :-)

September 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Well, you could use other mushrooms – it doesn’t matter really except for that edge on taste.

39. Arlene Miller II
    September 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

For the US readers who are confused about the chestnut mushrooms, it’s because we don’t have them here. IF you can find them, they are called “Black Poplar”
    The closest readily available equivalents would be Crimini or Portabello mushrooms, although any flavorful brown mushroom would probably be an acceptable substitute.

This looks like an excellent recipe and I’m excited to try it. We do burgers and patties a lot for quick lunches and these sound like they would fit right in. Do you refrigerate your extras? Or can you freeze them before cooking and use them later?
    I tend to make things in bigger batches than I need, to make it easier later.

September 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for that! I do refrigerate them, yes, they last very well without being cooked. You could also freeze them before cooking. The mushrooms are already cooked, remember.

40. bigbutter
    September 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

These look SO good. What a great alternative to beef!

41. weweremeanttosparkle
    September 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for being the first commenter on my blog – made my day! aha 😉

This recipe looks so good. I love veggie burgers. I aready have a recipe, but I think I will have to give this one a try.

September 27, 2011 at 9:53 am

Thanks! Veggie burgers are amazing, everyone should have more than 1 recipe.

42. Debbie
    September 26, 2011 at 6:57 am

Beautiful Photography….you make it look so easy. :)

September 27, 2011 at 10:20 am

Althought I know one really ought to accept compliment graciously, it isn’t that difficult 😛

43. sgakhal
    September 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I love the simplicity of this recipe! My kind of veggie burger :)

44. TTV
    September 29, 2011 at 1:05 am

Ok, these look fantastic and since I am tiptoeing towards veganism, I am going to give them a try. Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for a great looking recipe. By the way you take awesome pictures.

October 3, 2011 at 10:42 am

Thanks! I’ve been working so hard on my photography, I take about 60 photos per recipe just to make sure I get a good few.

45. Veronika
    October 3, 2011 at 11:31 am

Oh, those look great! I love chickpeas and I love mushrooms, and those look utterly delicious!

Re: getting back to doing a Master’s degree – I finally did, and gods, did I miss it! Working and money is good, but studying is sheer bliss!

October 3, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Please try them! They work so so so well. I really can’t wait to do mine – it’s going to be awesome.

46. Kosher Culinary and Pastry
    October 4, 2011 at 1:09 am

Just wanted to let you know I tried this recipe today and it came out delicious. The only thing i did differently was adding onion and baking the burgers instead of frying them.
    This is now one of my favorite recipes… thanks so much !

October 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Fantastic! I’m so glad you enjoyed it, particularly since it was an invention.

47. Lindsay @ Bee Stings and Honey
    October 4, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Yes! I love you for this. I’m slightly obsessed with mushrooms. No, really. It’s not healthy how much I love them.

This is going on the dinner menu at my home next week.

October 4, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I hope you enjoy them! I’ve not been eating mushrooms for long, but I do love them.

48. Michele Myette
    October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

These look great! I love mushrooms & fresh coriander (or, as we call it in Austin, Texas, ‘cilantro’). Like you, I really enjoy vegetarian dishes and don’t eat much meat. I can’t wait to try these! Thanx for the recipe! Michele

October 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Yes, I know you Americans have a funny name for it 😛 – not that I have anything against that of course. I hope the go well!

49. ashkitty
    November 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Awesome…this is another recipe for this weekend…thanks for sorting out my weekend menu !

November 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Thanks! no problem :d Thanks for advocating it.

50. ashkitty
    November 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm

made them…with a few modifications though…they were fantastic…will post it my blog refering back to you!

51. mmmmushrooms