Banana and Coffee Cheesecake

As my regular readers should know, I have a certain penchant for the buttery biscuit based dessert that is cheesecake. These smooth and creamy treats seem to be all the rage at the moment and this is yet another to add to my growing hoard of cheesecake recipes. Despite this love, the recipe you are all soon to be reading came about due to a stupid amount of spare bananas. We had made banana bread, banana muffins and banana cookies and wanted to make something radically different – what better than a damn good cheesecake?

Cheesecakes come in all shapes and sizes, this one in particular featuring a rather light filling as it has a fairly low fat content. However, if one wants to increase the fat content and make the dessert richer one may add 2-3 tablespoons of crème fraîche or sour cream. However, I must insist that such a move would be at the peril of the risk taker, and under no circumstances should I be liable for any discomfort caused.

However, let’s not forget the other prominent component of this delicious treat, coffee. Of course, not everyone loves coffee quite as much as I do and for this reason one can add as much or as little coffee as one deems necessary. The recommended 5-6 teaspoons of instant coffee dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons of water would give a fairly prominent coffee flavour without diminishing the fruity taste of the bananas. However, reducing the amount of coffee to perhaps 3-4 teaspoons would still enhance the colour and the richness of the dessert without adding too much flavour.

Banana and Coffee Cheesecake:

Makes 1 cheesecake

• 200g crushed digestive biscuits

• 6 tbsp melted butter

• 60g granulated or caster sugar

• 1 tsp ground cinnamon

• 450g cream cheese or soft cheese

• 180g granulated or caster sugar

• 2 tsp lemon juice

• 3-6 tsp instant coffee, depending on taste

• 4 medium eggs

• 2 ½ bananas, mashed

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Mix the biscuits with butter, sugar and cinnamon and press into the bottom of a greased 9 inch springform pan.

2. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon and coffee. Beat in eggs one at a time then stir in the banana. Pour on top of the biscuit base and bake for an hour.

3. Cool in the oven with the door open until the cake cools to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, it will taste best the next day.

Cost: The entire cheesecake should really cost no more than £2.70, which is frugal indeed. It is also a great way to use up those bananas that would otherwise go to waste, enjoy!

88 comments on “Banana and Coffee Cheesecake

1. countrywoodsmoke
    September 10, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Now that looks my kind of pudding! do you think it would be possible to sneak some nuts/peanut butter in somewhere? I’m addicted to peanut butter and banana…..
    It looks lovely and light, and I imagine not too cloying, some cheesecakes just stick to the roof of your mouth, but this looks like it wouldn’t.

September 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Yeh, pecan nuts or walnuts work work well… Peanut butter too somewhere! It really doesn’t, it’s lovely.

2. ambrosiana
    September 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Banana and coffee sounds so delicious!! What a great idea!

3. daisy
    September 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Hmmm! Another interesting recipe.

4. cookingcarmen
    September 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm

My mouth is watering…this looks so good!

5. ceciliag
    September 11, 2011 at 12:10 am

Decadence.. wow! c

6. Grace@ FoodFitnessFreshair
    September 11, 2011 at 12:51 am

Omg, that sounds heavenly. I’ve actually never had a coffee cheesecake, although I love coffee in just about every other dessert. I just had my first taste of banana cheesecake this summer with chocolate ganache and peanut butter cake. So good!

September 11, 2011 at 3:30 am

Incredible! Bananas are not my favorite but that looks fantastic!

September 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

They’re not mine either, but this was really lovely.

8. littlepeace
    September 11, 2011 at 4:13 am

oh my, that looks delicious. i’ll have to put it on my list of desserts to make. thanks for leaving a comment on my site!

September 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

No problem 😀 Please do, you won’t regret it.

9. Griffin's Honey...A Frugal Mom
    September 11, 2011 at 5:32 am

I wish blogs allowed taste tests LOL That looks great!

September 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Thanks… yeh if only haha.

• kunstkitchen
        September 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hi! This looks fabulous. I have passed on your site to a cheesecake baker. Also will try making it myself.

Digestive biscuits are very plain, round, almost tasteless “cookies” that can be bought at a good grocery store in America. They are a cross between a cookie and a cracker and have a little lemon flavor to them – sometimes. I have eaten them in Europe.

September 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much :D… there you go! Disgestive biscuits are that… although they aren’t sold with a lemon flavour in Britain, and they aren’t tasteless – they taste sort of wheaty.

10. thecompletecookbook
    September 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

My mom and aunt are guaranteed to finish this lovely cake all on their own. It look fabulous.
    :-) Mandy

11. Food, Flowers, Herbs and Life!
    September 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Coffee and cheesecake – two of my favorite things combined into one! This looks amazing! Wonderful recipe! But what are digestive biscuits? I’ve not heard of them!

September 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Thanks. I’ve never heard them called anything else… so I don’t know… google?

12. thelittleloaf
    September 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I love cheesecake too…bannoffee is probably my favourite baked and white chocolate my favourite unbaked. I’ve never had banana and coffee combined though…sounds really interesting – and the end result looks delicious. What’s the name for banana and coffee combined? Surely bannoffee as well?!

September 11, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I guess it’s technically banoffee too, yes :P. I have another up my sleeve – apple crumble cheesecake, I can’t wait.

13. Zoe @ Pantry and Fridge
    September 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I’ve never made an entire cheesecake but I’m willing to try this one. I have an awesome recipe for cheesecake cupcakes I bet you’d love. You should check it out!
    Thanks for this!!!

September 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Really?! Why not?! so so so simple and delicious. I shall, though I did just make cheesecake muffins 😀

• Zoe
        September 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

Mainly because I don’t own a spring form pan, but plan on picking one up soon. Especially if it means I can have this in my kitchen shortly after!

September 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Everyone simply must have a spring form tin! Go get one NOW! :)

14. Cara
    September 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Brilliant! Using digestive biscuits for the crust. That is one thing I miss. Hey, wanna come up with a gluten-free recipe for digestives, eh? It will be fun for you, no? Rats. Alright, I will get working on it then… :)

September 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Thanks! It’s what I always go, I don’t get this cracker nonsense… I’m not going to lie… that sounds like an incredibly difficult recipe to come up with since digestives are literally all gluten pretty much – I think they’re primarily wheat. Good luck though. You could substitute them for something else?

15. Mahayana Mum
    September 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Looks sooo good! Thanks for posting this one. Problem for us Aussies though is bananas are currently $14 a kilo (someone else can do the conversion but it’s safe to assume it’s not frugal!). Oh well… it will be decadent!

September 11, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Wow! That’s very expensive… Thanks for the compliment though :P.

16. thedrivencook
    September 12, 2011 at 12:05 am

Love the last photo- the texture of this cheesecake looks so perfect and delicious!

17. IndyRealtyQueen
    September 12, 2011 at 12:21 am

this looks absolutely delicious! thanks for sharing :)

18. Kay aka Babygirl
    September 12, 2011 at 6:43 am

I am such a fan of cheesecake fan. And this Banana and Coffee Cheesecake is one I will definitely have to save and add to my recipe collection. Very nice recipe.

September 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

It’s awesome, isn’t it? 😀 Hope you enjoy it when and if you try it!

19. mamagwen
    September 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

Oh yummy. This looks absolutely delicious! I’m a big fan of cheesecake so I’ll definitely have to try this out. Thanks for the recipe :)

September 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Thanks so much, please do! It’s lovely.

20. spinach&spice
    September 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Oh my! I have a cherry buckle in the oven as we speak.. but I want THIS!
    Great recipe 😀 Bookmarking for sure

21. Li'l Puffs
    September 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm

All your pictures look so wonderful! This cheesecake look so good it’s making me drool. Banana and coffee. It’s a great combination!

September 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Thanks so much! It was seriously delicious 😀

22. The Dusty Baker
    September 13, 2011 at 2:15 am

Oh my goodness – I had to read it a few times just because I was enjoying everything you had written so much!! I want to eat that RIGHT NOW!! I seriously must focus my energies on making some sort of cow-dairy free cheesecake. Because I don’t think I can put my tastebuds through this temptation agony much longer!

September 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

Well, thank you very much… you are full of compliments! I’m sure you’ll come up with some substitute… I’m so close minded I have no idea about “special food” like dairy free or gluten free etc…

23. cityhippyfarmgirl
    September 13, 2011 at 3:40 am

Now that looks absolutely wonderful!

September 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

Thanks so much, it tasted wonderful too! 😀

24. Ivan.
    September 13, 2011 at 4:33 am

Fantastic Illustration!

25. Iris "The Palate Princess" M.
    September 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Looks divine!

26. Shannon
    September 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm

ohh my gosh! this looks so delicious! :)

27. Jereme's Kitchen
    September 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm

that looks absolutively delicious!

28. tammyheff
    September 15, 2011 at 2:32 am

This looks heavenly. Thanks for stopping by my blog because it gave me a chance to find yours!

29. ruby josephine
    September 15, 2011 at 6:44 am

Hmm looks like I have a new recipe to veganize. This sounds amazing!

September 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Give it a go! If you can, let me know how it turns out!

30. bloomeveryday
    September 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm

This looks heavenly! Nothing I love more in my morning than Bananas and Coffee.

31. Amy
    September 17, 2011 at 12:00 am

omg, this sounds amazing! I love cheesecake and I totally love the idea of adding banana to it…why hasn’t anyone done that before?!

September 17, 2011 at 12:07 am

Thanks so much! I dunno, perhaps I’m a genius? Then again…

32. Antsy Hands
    September 19, 2011 at 2:09 am

this looks incredible! I’m definitely trying this recipe!

33. Mahayana Mum
    September 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm

My neighbour has broken her ankle and is laid up for 4 weeks so thought I might attempt this one to cheer her up. Problem is I would really like to try some myself but don’t want to take her half a cake. How would you adapt this to mini cheesecakes? I was thinking of a muffin tin and pressing the biscuit base into casings but I’m not an experienced cook so I wasn’t sure about oven temp or timing or if it would work through the paper casing. Suggestions?

September 19, 2011 at 11:44 pm

This is a great idea! There wouldn’t be any need to use paper cases. They would work fine, you could halve the quantities or whatever. Cooking temperature would be the same but they would take less time. I guess they would need to cook until they go golden on top and jiggle but aren’t runny. If they crack then they have been cooked for too long. I’d go for maybe 25 minutes, but keep an eye on them. It’s a really lovely thing to do!

• Mahayana Mum
        September 21, 2011 at 7:27 am

They turned out great! Wish I could post a photo here. I made some slight modifications as in the interests of frugality I wanted to use what I had in my pantry. So the base was a mix of plain sugar biscuits such as Arrowroot, Marie and some Scotch Finger and as I didn’t have instant I added a double shot of espresso. I would probably add more coffee next time though as the flavour, while it tasted perfect during the mix, after cooking it was lost a little bit. Cooked at 180 for 20 minutes. I left the quantities as is though and it made 12. I did half with a casing and half without and the ones with the casings actually presented a little better as the edges weren’t so brown from being directly against the tin. Also gave a nice corrogated effect a la cafe style. Thanks again for this one, hopefully my neighbour likes them too.

September 21, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I really hope she does. I’m so glad they turned out well!

34. erin lyn
    September 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Oh my goodness! I’m not usually a cheesecake fan, but this combines all my favorite flavors! This definitely goes on the “try next” list! Yum.

September 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm

It is simply delicious, I’m so glad you like it!

35. cleaningmyplate
    September 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Oh my!! I’m in love!

36. Mama's Gotta Bake
    September 22, 2011 at 12:27 am

Seriously, banana and coffee…in cheesecake. My favorite combo. I must make this one!

September 22, 2011 at 12:30 am

:D. It’s really delicious. I hope you do!

37. becky @ the Mixing Bowl Diary
    September 22, 2011 at 12:49 am

wow, what an interesting combination for a cheesecake! I can’t wait to try it. Do you think using espresso instead of instant coffee would work? I dont have any instant..but i do regularly make some espresso. Would love to hear what you think. Again, fantastic idea. Can’t wait to try it.

September 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Yeh espresso would work, any coffee really – instant is just the cheapest. Please let me know how it goes.

38. gnashingrefined
    September 22, 2011 at 11:22 pm

This looks deadly! yum!

39. Sophie
    September 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Okay, my mouth literally started watering as I read this. Too bad I can’t have lactose-ingredients like cream cheese. I’m going to look for soy cream cheese or something tho, I’m dying for this one. yum yum yum :)

September 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Awesome :D. I hope you can find a substitute. Everyone ought to try it 😛

40. An Embarrassment of Freedom
    September 26, 2011 at 12:05 am

Hi again from Canada…came back for another peek and found this cheesecake…must try it…and I know I will love it….great idea young man!

41. Tina
    January 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

Awesome Recipe.

I made it the other day for my family and they loved it.

I also really like this new york cheesecake recipe.

Thanks for sharing :)

January 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

Awesome! So glad they liked it. I shall check the cheesecake out.

42. Gourmesso capsules
    January 6, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Sounds like a great recipe! Will definitely give it a try when I have some free time!