Traditional Scones

Recipe for Traditional Scones

Making the perfect scone really isn’t that difficult, because all you’re really looking for is that risen look, as though someone has tried, but failed, to pull apart the top and bottom of the scone. If the unknown entity has succeeded in its endeavour, then I’m afraid you have spectacularly failed in yours. To be honest, if followed correctly this recipe should give you the perfect traditional scones straight off the bat. Don’t be deterred if it doesn’t – things don’t always go quite according to plan.

Ideally these should be served with both jam and clotted cream. However, as my arteries didn’t feel like being clogged quite yet I dodged this and had a little butter instead. It doesn’t work quite as well, but with the home made jam is equally delicious. So, please give summer the goodbye with these delicious scones.

Traditional Scones Recipe

Intend to serve these beautiful British scones with a spot of jam? Check out my recipes for Rhubarb and Ginger JamDamson Jelly and Strawberry Jam…

Traditional Scones

Makes 9-10

• 225g self-raising flour

• A pinch of salt

• 75g butter, please use real butter

• 40g golden caster sugar

• 1 egg

• 2 tbsp milk

• Milk for brushing

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Sift the salt and flour into a large mixing bowl, then rub in the butter until the consistency is that of fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the sugar.

2. Beat together the milk and egg in a separate bowl. Add it to the dry mixture and stir. Bring it together by hand, into a soft, but not sticky, ball of dough.

3. Gently roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until roughly an inch thick. Cut the scones out with a 5cm baking ring.

4. Place the scones onto a floured baking tray, brush with milk, and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Recipe for British Scones How to Make Scones

These traditional scones should cost no more than 70p to make, which means each scone costs 7p – what an absolute bargain. I’m sure scones sell for around £1.50 in most coffee shops – what a rip off.

96 comments on “Traditional Scones

1. Colline
    September 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Nothing better than homemade, old-fashioned scones with strawberry jam and a cup of tea!

September 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I completely agree, except for the fact I hate tea. They are delicious.

2. Cara
    September 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I’m super impressed by your food, Mr. Frugal! If I could eat real butter and gluten, I would have invited myself right over (or forced myself through the door, whatever) and scarfed them down. Maybe I would save one or 2 for you. The jury is out on that one, however…You have a new fan here. Well done.

September 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh awesome. I’m really glad you like my blog! I’m sure they would work to some degree by using gluten free ingredients… to be honest I don’t really know…

3. Jereme's Kitchen
    September 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm

i especially like the tiny scone

September 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh yeh, he tasted delicious. Very cute tasting.

4. The Travelling Chopsticks
    September 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Completely agree that Delia is the queen of British Cooking – in fact she is probably one of go-to chefs when I’m looking for tips and ideas! It has been a long time since I have had Scones…and as I’m not afraid of clogging my arteries just yet…i think I will have to make them this weekend :)

September 1, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I’m not sure about British cooking, more British baking… Do make them, they are so delicious and light. The artery clogging was to do with clotted cream, these aren’t too bad… hmmm.

5. ceciliag
    September 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm

beautiful scones.. they do look light and fluffy too! c

September 1, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Thanks! They are very light 😀 Makes me feel slightly less guilty.

6. jumei
    September 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Beautiful scones! They look so soft. But they look a little like American biscuits! I have to agree with you that the ones sold in shop are overpriced.

September 1, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Thanks. I assure you they are 100% British scones :D.

7. Bluejellybeans
    September 2, 2011 at 12:20 am

This is a recipe I’ll do for sure!! yummy!

8. Modern Mrs. Cleaver
    September 2, 2011 at 12:39 am

A definite to make this week! YUM!

9. Sara
    September 2, 2011 at 3:05 am

I love how beautifully these have puffed up, and almost split along the middle all on their own. I love making scones–they are so worth it (and not just, as you point out, because they are such a bargain to make on your own).

September 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

I believe that’s the perfect scone look. They really are worth making – so cheap and so delicious.

10. Michelle
    September 2, 2011 at 4:34 am

Here in the South of the U.S. we’d use buttermilk (and maybe lard) and call them biscuits. Whatever you call them, yours look great! And looking forward to more about the damson jam.

September 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

We can use buttermilk here also, but it makes little real difference. Americanisms are weird, biscuits are generally hard – these are more like cakes I guess. Scone is their original and traditional name 😀

• thekalechronicles
        September 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Hey, wait a minute: in the United States, “biscuits” are a quick bread, defined by a round shape, flaky exterior and soft interior. They are generally not sweet, made without sugar, but you can eat butter and sweet things on them. What Brits call “biscuits,” we call “cookies,” although cookies can range in texture from thin and crisp to soft to chewy. Scones usually have some sugar in the dough, like yours, right? I’ve eaten many variations of scones. Yours (and Delia’s) look great.

September 27, 2011 at 10:07 am

American scones always looks different, they never have enough rise, they are more like little cakes.

11. Prada For Breakfast
    September 2, 2011 at 5:27 am

These look so delicious!! I absolutely adore scones, they are so filling and literally the perfect comfort food, fabulous with a cup of hot tea and some good jam. I’ve never made my own, but I’m very tempted to give your recipe a shot!

September 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thanks Halie. I dislike tea, but they really are one of the greatest comfort foods. I’m having to try really hard to only eat 1 a day. Give it a go, they are incredibly easy. I think these were my first actually.

12. realfunfood
    September 2, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow! I love scones and I love English afternoon tea. I’m sure people would be really impressed to find I’d made them myself :) Thanks for the recipe!

13. Tinkerbelle (@Lillyheart999)
    September 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm

these look fantastic!! i made some cupcakes this weekend, let me know what you think?

14. Kim (Feed Me, Seymour)
    September 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I’m dying to make homemade scones! I fear that I would mess them up and have not yet gotten enough courage to try. But these look delicious, especially topped with that fabulous jam!

September 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm

They are so easy! Just try it, you won’t regret it. If you do mess up, it didn’t cost you much 😛

15. The Swedish Chef
    September 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm

These look lovely and make me desperately want a scone with some fresh jam!

16. lapiattini
    September 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm

These look great! I made scones for the first time a few weeks ago and posted the recipe on my blog- they were so delicious and I’ve been looking for a new recipe to try- thanks!

September 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Please do, they work extremely well. I’ll check yours out 😀

17. lambyknits01
    September 3, 2011 at 3:13 am

Yum! I have yet to try making scones, but yours look perfect :)

September 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Oh give them a go! They were my first… so…

18. daisy
    September 3, 2011 at 4:05 am

Just lovely! I wish we had real clotted cream here in the US. Very envious!

September 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Clotted cream is literally amazing… I feel sorry for you.

19. katiebarlow
    September 3, 2011 at 5:41 am

Yum….these look delish! beautiful photos too!

20. Dia Morris
    September 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

looks so good! thanks for sharing, Delia, queen of traditional british baking, thanks for sharing, never heard of her this side of the pond

September 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

She really is. Look her up, she does some really awesome recipes.

21. Alessandra
    September 3, 2011 at 10:30 am

Your scones are perfect! I love the step by step images :-).
    I am here for the first time, via Cho’s blog, lovely space.

22. Just Add Attitude
    September 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Just popping into say hello, I love scones and often have one for breakfast. I have bookmarked you I like the idea of frugal food.

23. Joanne
    September 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I just LOVE reading your posts. Not only for the recipes, but I love the way you write! I love when you say “utterly” and “bloody” (okay, I know that’s probably normal British talk but I find it very endearing). Thanks for sharing!

September 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Thanks so much! I hope you carry on reading 😀

24. Nise en Scène
    September 4, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Mmm! Trust the Brits for wonderful scone recipes! Keep the posts coming :)

25. Kelsey
    September 5, 2011 at 2:34 am

scones and jam- god you cant help but drool seeing this!! <3

26. D.Marie
    September 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I’ve been staying in a hostel for the past few weeks, and therefore haven’t attempted any baking yet…but these look amazing and I might just have give them a go!

27. saphster
    September 6, 2011 at 4:31 am

Haha, my brother just made scones today too! 😀 He tends to use cream instead of milk. He’s trying out chocolate scones today, mmm!

September 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I love them, never tried them with cream – milk is perfectly sufficient.

28. thelittleloaf
    September 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

There are so many recipes for scones in the world of blogs at the moment, but yours look pretty awesome! Maybe people are trying to cling on to the last remnants of summer and sunny cream teas… I have to have mine with a big dollop of cream, but the butter in your pic looks pretty good too :-)

September 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Like I say, the ideal is clotted cream – but it costs a lot and is extremely bad for you, it is my favourite though. In my opinion butter is the second best thing to clotted cream. Scones are amazing!

29. The Southern Lady
    September 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm

These look wonderful. Yes, we call them biscuits here in the South but whatever they are called they are so good. This is also National Biscuit Month!.

September 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Thanks! I didn’t know national biscuit month existed.

30. Single Life 2 Married Wife
    September 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I love scones, and have not had one in a very long time.. THESE LOOK dELIcIOUs! I am very tempted to make this recipe this weekend. It’s hard to make all of these when it is just me and my husband. I will eat them all! xoxo

September 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm

You could halve the mixture. They are simply delicious, please give them a go -if you do let me know how they went.

31. thecompletecookbook
    September 10, 2011 at 8:02 am

Scones are always such a nice treat. I go through phases of making batches of them. Yours look lovely.
    Have a happy day.
    :-) Mandy

32. skinnyfatgirls
    September 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm

So you’re from the UK? In the US we would call these biscuits, and our scones are more sweet, dense, and cake-like. But whatever you call them, those sure do look tasty!

September 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh yes, and they ARE scones, I don;t understand why they are called biscuits in American – they originated in Britain and scones they shall stay 😀 No offence 😛

33. sistersbake
    September 11, 2011 at 6:15 am

Scones they shall stay! this looks different to the american version that i normally make — with cream/ buttermilk? but i might try make these — are these very moist? :)

September 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Phew. Do try, they are a little moist, very light and fluffy.

34. Colleen
    September 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

These scones look delicious. They turned out beautifully!

35. olivia leonard
    September 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm

mmm, these look lovely. can’t wait to try them out–thanks for insisting on real butter, it makes such a difference.

36. johanna0n0
    September 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Wow, these look really great! Have you ever made savory scones? With cheese and garlic? I am looking for a recipe for those too. I had one once and I just cannot let it go.

September 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

No, but I intend to. I shall do those soon, keep checkin back 😀

37. Kimby
    September 17, 2011 at 12:49 am

I’m amused by the scone vs. biscuit discussion above. :) I’ve made both and they differ in texture, but taste equally good with butter and jam. (The only English “biscuit” I’ve had were McVitie’s and they seemed more like a cookie to me, lol!)

September 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

Which McVitie’s? They are definitely biscuits 😛

38. Sarah
    September 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Tried your recipe today but replaced the sugar with about 60g of Cheese, a sprinkle of garlic granules and a shake or two of dried herbs.

Needed to a little more milk (about 1 1/2 tbls) as the mix was a bit dry with the added cheese.

There are only two of us here but they are all gone…delicious and light, went down very well spread with just a little butter and served with a bowl of tomato soup 😀

September 18, 2011 at 11:48 am

Oh awesome. Great ingenuity. I’m going to do my own version of your adapted recipe soon – so look out for that. Perhaps your adapted recipe will end up better :P.

39. fittoindulge
    September 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

As a lover of bread, these look delicious. I’ve been canning peach lavender jam this summer.. I think the two together could be a beautiful thing. :)

September 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Thanks so much. Peach and lavender jam sounds delicious! I think they were work extremely well!

40. Rhelda's Recipe
    September 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I Love Scones. These looks so good. Yum.

41. bonnevivante
    September 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Yummm scones and jam. I love scones with homemade cream. :)

42. Martha
    September 21, 2011 at 3:25 am

I’ve been looking for a good scone recipe for a while; I’ll give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

43. thekalechronicles
    September 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Where, or how does one find Delia?

44. Jen Roque
    September 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm

These look so amazing! I may have to give these a try. I am a great cook but a terrible baker!

45. Seraphina
    April 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I just made these using a mix of half-spelt/half-white (because I didn’t have enough spelt flour) and roughly cut them into squares (because I’m a poorly equipped student in halls, hence no round cutter). They were scrumptious plain – my happy hall mates agree. Thanks!

46. huntfortheverybest