Beef in Guinness Casserole

Beef in Guinness

As we all know, summer is about eating light, fresh food like my Caprese salad. However, I really like to continue devouring slow cooked wintry meals during the summer. Having said that, this dish isn’t as wintery or as rich as a steak and ale pie and I personally think it worked rather well considering the time of year – especially on a Sunday, in lieu of a roast. This is so delicious I’ve had it a couple of times in the past few weeks; it has such a good depth of flavour and is incredibly satisfying to eat when it has been cooked for at least 3 hours. Indeed, the most important thing to remember when preparing this casserole, or any meal that includes the cheaper cuts of meat, is to cook it for a long time. After 3 hours the fat should have melted away from the meat, enriching the dish, and the meat will have become incredibly tender. This casserole would also work very well with on-the-bone cuts such as oxtail – meat on the bone is incredibly sweet and when cooked the marrow in the bones will melt into the gravy, enriching it further.

I’m going to write this recipe for 4 people, despite the fact the meal pictured easily served 8 – I’m fairly sure most people don’t cook for 8 on a regular basis! Unless, of course, you’ve been extremely busy. But enough of that! Please overlook my strange habit of cooking wintery meals during the summer – I’m clearly season confused – this is a really delicious dish and I promise that it won’t disappoint.

Beef in Guinness Casserole {recipe}

Serves 4

• 500g diced stewing steak

• 1 leek or 2 onions, finely chopped

• Two carrots, finely chopped

• 2 cloves of garlic, mashed

• 3 bay leaves

• 400g tin chopped tomatoes

• 440ml can of Guinness, any stout will do

• 1 tbsp of tomato puree

• 1 tbsp plain flour

• Salt and pepper

• Oil

1. Honestly this couldn’t be simpler. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Brown the beef in a pan with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of plain flour. This locks in the flavour and begins the cooking process. When browned transfer it to an oven dish along with all of the other ingredients, making sure to pour the Guinness in last. Cover it and pop it in the oven for a minimum of 3 hours.

2. Serve with mashed potato and bread. The best way to make mashed potato is to use a hand mixer to break up the potatoes. Make sure you add butter, milk and plenty of seasoning.

Cost: This entire meal, including mashed potato and bread, should cost no more than around £5.80, which is £1.45 per portion. Of course this depends on where you get your meat and what bread you buy. Either way it’s very cheap and delightfully delicious.

62 comments on “Beef in Guinness Casserole

1. pursuitoffood
    August 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm

The first picture is lovely! And anything with Guinness in it has to be good, right? :-)

August 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Thanks, and yes… I think so. Consult the Irish.

2. sportsglutton
    August 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm

This looks like some tasty stuff and I don’t blame you for enjoying it during the middle of summer. Cheers!

3. cookingcarmen
    August 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm

This looks delicious! And I love the way you style your pictures! They are beautiful!

4. Smedette
    August 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I bet this smells amazing while cooking and I imagine it freezes well.

August 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I think it does freeze well yes. It does indeed smell amazing, really good.

5. sundayinthekitchen
    August 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Delicious! I’m totally getting into Fall foods again, despite the soaring temps. Bring on the braises!

6. ChgoJohn
    August 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love recipes like this, where you put everything in a pot, put it in the oven, and come back in a few hours. I’ve a similar recipe that calls for wine. Next time I’m going to follow your lead and use Guinness instead. This will be good.Thanks for the tip.

7. ceciliag
    August 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Oh I miss guinness on tap! But I am sure the next best thing is your guiness and beef. So tell me. What do you have to drink with this dish! c

August 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Our bar in Wales doesn’t even have Guinness on tap, we only have it in bottle or can. You an drink anything you like with it 😀 Anything that goes down. Guinness obviously 😀

8. lateraleating
    August 22, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I wouldn’t mind eating this casserole any time of the year. Thanks for the recipe!

9. Bluejellybeans
    August 23, 2011 at 12:17 am

It looks amazing! I’ll try it this winter for sure and we are 6 at home so probably the 8 serves will work for me. Congrats for another great post.

August 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thanks so much 😀

• Bluejellybeans
        August 24, 2011 at 1:06 am

You are welcome! I really like your Blog, by the way, I just added you to my list of 7 links challenge, take a look!

10. kward23
    August 23, 2011 at 6:23 am

This looks absolutely delicious (not to mention a lot like what I had at the Guinness storehouse for lunch)! I’ve made a stew fairly similar, but I’ll definitely give this a try.

11. The Southern Lady
    August 23, 2011 at 12:51 pm

This just all looks wonderful. I love comfort food anytime winter or summer. If I don’t get it, I start craving it and will eventually make it know matter how hot it is weatherwise. I enjoyed visiting your place this morning and checking out all the good stuff here.

August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Thanks, carry on visiting 😀 You just have to have this sort of stuff sometimes – the salads can get a little trying…

12. zoe@myfoodintranslation
    August 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’ve never cooked any meat in Guiness but I might have to try it… Totally second the on-the-bone cuts recommendation, always tender and flavourful :)
    There’re plenty of rainy, gloomy summer days where I live (not complaining, though, that’s what keeps it green and beautiful year round), so meals like this are perfect for those occasions.

August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Do try it, it works really well. Doesn’t really end up tasting of Guinness either. Yeh our garden is in full bloom too – it’s because we live by the sea.

13. daisy
    August 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’ve been looking for a new recipe for oxtail. I might give this a try, too, after the custard. Thanks for sharing!

14. Maya
    August 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm

This looks absolutely delish!

15. Just A Smidgen
    August 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm

This is a dish my husband would love!

16. Christina Soong-Kroeger
    August 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm

This looks delicious. I’ve got a new slow cooker and have been looking for an excuse to use it. Now I know what I’m cooking for dinner tomorrow – thank you :)

August 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Thanks so much! Let me know how it goes.

• The Hungry Australian
        August 27, 2011 at 5:11 am

Well, I wasn’t able to get to the shops in the morning so I had to make do with what I had in the pantry/fridge. So I swopped the Guinness for red wine mixed with apple/berry juice, used pizza sauce instead of tomatos and tomato paste, and added garlic, potatoes, beans and lots of parsley. It was delicious! So thank you for your inspirational recipe :)

17. Tori @eat-tori
    August 25, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Gorgeous. And pretty appropriate still too, considering some of the ‘summer’ days we’ve been having (nb, first English summer, I’m still adjusting).

18. myamericanfitness
    August 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm

This sounds great! I love beer in my food from chili to cheese. (And don’t worry about the season confusion….we had chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches last night in 80F degree weather!)

August 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Thanks! I’m so glad there are more season-confused people out there!

19. tastydesu
    August 29, 2011 at 4:42 pm

This looks divine! It’s my personal opinion that something magical happens whenever you mix beef in with a good bottle of beer.

20. foulmouthedkitchen
    September 2, 2011 at 2:25 am

This is completely on my to make list :) yum!

September 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

Awesome! My to make list is very long 😛

21. Chef Scar
    September 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I love Guinness and I love beef, so this is on my list of casseroles to make. As for eating so-called winter food in summer, sometimes it is absolutely necessary. Several years ago, my wife and I spent two August weeks in Munich and Vienna. I love German food, which has pretty much gone out of fashion in NYC. So, do you think I was going to pass up sauerbraten, hasenpfeffer and weiner schnitzel just because it was 80 + degrees, not on your life.

September 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I know! I don’t know why people have an aversion to eating such things during summer – quite frankly I couldn’t live without them…

22. Chris
    September 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Oh my! I might just do this soon. After all, winter’s almost here.

September 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

It is sooooo delicious, you won’t regret it!

23. mytastehistaste
    September 26, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Looks like I will be cooking some guinness instead of drinking them!

24. North of the Mason-Dixon
    November 10, 2011 at 12:44 am

Great idea!! I’m loving the thought of this and will absolutely be trying it! Keep up the great work! Love the blog!

25. MyTasteHisTaste
    February 16, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I have finally done this dish, 3 times, once with guinness, once in the expired red wine in the fridge and the last time with the non-alcoholic-beer i had accidentally bought. It turned out great with the stout and white beer but not the red wine. In the winter time, I keep returning to stew like this… Cheers! Will post my recipe soon!

February 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

3 times?! Awesome. Not the wine? hmm, how odd – I thought the non-alcoholic beer would be the worst. Well, you live and you learn! I look forward to it!

• MyTasteHisTaste
        February 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Ah.. i think the wine one was not good because I had used fersh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes. So it was too much “wine” in the sauce. Will try again soon.

February 23, 2012 at 10:41 am

Ahha! I do have a recipe for bourguignon that is very delicious!

26. David
    February 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

Yum. Yum. Yum. My spouse just loved this! I did add a couple of sprigs of savory to the bay leaf, just cause we enjoy it with root vegetables. And I decided to add fresh peas during the last 40 minutes of cooking to lighten the load a little and make it more “spring like”, but it was still frugal. Those peas weren’t lasting much longer!!
    (just caught your website today. Excellent and simply done recipes. I am vegetarian although my spouse is pescatarian 70% of the time and eats other meats around 30% of the time, so I will pick up a bit of beef to make him something like this from time to time.

February 5, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Glad you enjoyed – your additions sound lovely. We are more or less vegetarian, probably a 70/30% split. I have nothing against eating meat – I love it – apart from its relative expense!

27. David
    February 6, 2014 at 9:09 am

Meat & dairy are quite costly these days. I think about how I grew up and I have to wonder how my parents did it sometimes as we ate meat every single day and we were far from well off. Having turkey neck soup or frying ham were considered “light” days. lol. In the whole scope of the universe, I have nothing really “against” humans eating meat, but I do have so many issues with mass factory meat production in terms of humaneness towards animals and it contributing to food shortages, so this is why I chose not to be a direct consumer I suppose. If I lived more wildly, I am certain I would eat my share of rabbits and other cute creatures. Not to sound sanctimonious or anything …..everybody has their own reasons for the way they are living. And obviously there are “reasons” of circumstance for many where you just eat what’s available to you.

February 6, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Indeed they are! I tend only to buy very well sourced meat, so I’m relatively happy with my consumption. I love game though – rabbits etc… absolutely delicious