Juicy Plum Muffins

Plum Muffins

I thought I’d continue in the same vein as my last post and bring you yet another delicious recipe with which to use your lovely juicy plums. This will be the last of the plum themed posts for now though, as although we had a very large amount of plums we only actually made muffins and chutney – 11 jars of the stuff. I think the next summer fruit recipe I’ll tackle will be Blackberry jam, but I need to find time to go out and pick them first.

I have to admit these were the first muffins I ever made, but they turned out very well considering. In fact they were rather a nice change from the muffins one gets in shops – usually either chocolate or blueberry. I think this recipe works so well because the plums aren’t overpowering in the mixture, it’s more like eating a delicious sweet muffin complimented by a fairly frequent sharp plum flavour. I guess if one wanted the plum to be more obvious in every bite one might use more plums than the recipe suggests – I don’t think it would be at all detrimental to the overall texture. On the topic of texture I think it is important to stress that the batter mixture of muffins needn’t be lumpless like that of cupcakes. There shouldn’t be any dry ingredients showing, but it needn’t be one uniform mixture – it is better if it is a little lumpy.

I feel I must say thank you to those of you who have embraced my blog over the past couple of weeks. I’ve really been making a conscious effort to integrate myself within the blogging community, something which I hadn’t really done up until recently. Lots of thanks for your compliments and I’m really glad you enjoy my foodie wittering.

Plum Muffins {recipe}

Makes 11-12

• 280g/10oz plain flour

• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

• ½ tsp salt

• 110g/4oz granulated sugar

• 1 egg

• 240ml/8fl. oz. buttermilk

• 3 tbsp water

• 90ml/3fl. oz. oil

• 170g/6oz chopped plums

1. Prepare the muffin tins with cases. Pre-heat the oven to 190C. In large bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar.

2. Beat the egg in another bowl, before mixing in the buttermilk, water, oil and plums. Combine the ingredients by pouring the wet into the dry, stir until there is no visible dry flour.

3. Spoon the batter into the muffin cases, making sure each case has a roughly equal share. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they are lightly browned and stop trying to talk to you.

Cost: With self-picked plums these muffins should cost no more than £1.10 to make. However, if you’re having to buy plums they should come in at around £1.70. The saving isn’t massive, but if you factor in the fact that home-picked plums taste a lot better than those from the supermarket the deal becomes even sweeter.

23 comments on “Juicy Plum Muffins

1. ChgoJohn
    August 20, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I was at a farmers’ market earlier and, seeing all of the delicious looking plums, wondered what I could do with them. Well, you certainly answered that question. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

2. onceuponarecipe
    August 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I never would have thought to use plums in a muffin recipe, but what a great idea! I bet these are extra delicious when slathered with your plum preserves!

August 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm

It works really really well! They are extra delicious full stop 😛

3. The Southern Lady
    August 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Those muffins look wonderful. I love plums but I have never made muffins either. Will have to look for some next time I go grocery shopping.

August 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Thanks! Please try them, I promise you’d enjoy.

4. Textbooks and Tea Cakes
    August 20, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Yum, these look delicious! I’m a huge fan of any type of muffin in the morning, but I’ve never tasted a plum muffin (and I suppose they are hard to come across…). The tanginess of the plums seems like the perfect compliment to a muffin.

August 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

they really do compliment it perfectly. You should try making them, would be delicious at breakfast!

5. Betty@YummyWorkshop
    August 21, 2011 at 3:17 am

They look delicious, would love to try out the recipe!

6. luvnspoonfuls
    August 21, 2011 at 5:38 am

These muffins look great, and such wonderful domes on them! I have some plums and nectarines hanging out on the counter, so I think I will give your recipe a try tomorrow for Sunday afternoon snacking with a cup of tea! Yum!

August 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

Thanks, I was pretty happy with them. Let me know how they go!

7. Karina
    August 21, 2011 at 6:56 am

I have never thought to put plums in muffins. Awesome idea!

8. thebigfatnoodle
    August 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Yuuuummmmm, muffffiiiiiinnnnnsssss! :) Yours look great. I’m a crap baker so I never get mine to rise the way yours have. Fess up, how many did you eat straight away? :)

August 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Thanks! They were yum. I only ate one straight away, then had one the next day… left the rest at my girlfriend’s and gave the other I took on the train away… I’ve only eaten two. :(

9. Kalyan
    August 21, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Muffins are one of my favourites anytime….looks delicious!

10. cheruko
    August 22, 2011 at 12:54 am

My grocery store had some overripe Santa Rosa plums in the discount produce bin, so I made these yesterday afternoon. Eighteen hours ago, there were eighteen juicy plum muffins in my kitchen. This morning, there are two :O

August 22, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’m so happy you made them and that they got eaten so quickly! Thanks!

11. ifmylifewasafoodmagazine
    August 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm

These look super yummy, and all the better for having picked the plums yourself