Chocolate and Banana Loaf Cake

Banana and Chocolate Bread

I am back from my sojourn at the house of my girlfriend laden with frugal recipes cheap enough to make one’s mind boggle. Seriously, this is the only place where describing something as ‘cheap’ would go down well, and I like that. I really have been a busy-bee for the past few days – I’ve been walking, cycling, cooking and snaffling free plums from trees overhanging their owner’s garden walls. As a result you can expect recipes for plum chutney and plum muffins to appear over the coming days – they are seriously good.

This recipe is a really good way to use up those old bananas hanging around the kitchen that aren’t particularly good to eat any longer. In fact the browner the bananas used in this recipe the better, if they are green it won’t work quite as well – but don’t let that stop you by any means. The other ingredient which really makes this recipe perfect is a good quality dark chocolate – that is, 70% cocoa or above. Using a chocolate below this quality or a milk chocolate wouldn’t spoil this recipe; however the darkness of the chocolate really needs to counteract the sweetness of the sugar and bananas. I also find dark chocolate to be harder to melt than milk chocolate, therefore it will hold together better during the cooking process so one really gets the taste and texture of the chocolate.

This cake did prove really popular – it disappeared in only a couple of days with only a small handful of people eating it. I don’t know why banana cake is so universally loved, perhaps it is the fact it is slightly more healthy and filling than a standard sponge, or perhaps it is the more pleasing and moist texture fostered by the inclusion of banana. Whatever it is, this cake is seriously good – you’d be a fool not to try it! Not that those of you who don’t are fools.

Chocolate and Banana Loaf Cake {recipe}

Makes 1 2lb loaf tin cake

• 230g/8oz self-raising flour

• 115g/4oz butter or spread

• 170g/6oz caster sugar, granulated would do

• 2 eggs

• 3 ripe bananas, the more ripe the better

• 100g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa or above, cut up into small chunks

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease a standard size 2lb loaf tin.

2. Mash together the bananas in a bowl. In a separate vessel cream together the sugar and the butter like one would with a normal sponge cake, then crack in the eggs mixing them in one by one. Mix the bananas into the batter before combining with the flour and chocolate.

3. Spoon this into the loaf tin and cook for 40 minutes, before turning the oven down to 150C and cooking for a further 30 minutes.

Cost: This entire cake should cost around £2 to produce. I think this is a real bargain considering its quality and popularity. Really one to try at home!

33 comments on “Chocolate and Banana Loaf Cake

1. blisscodisco
    August 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Next time we are at the store I am going to have to find some ripe banana’s we always eat ours before they are brown enough for banana bread/cake

August 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Do, it works really well! I guess the fact I hate the texture of bananas helps, because I love the taste – this recipe is perfect for me.

2. Food, Flowers, Herbs and Life!
    August 17, 2011 at 2:56 am

Your cake – although we would probably call it a ‘bread’ – is fantastic! I made it this afternoon! Since I didn’t have bananas had to change it up a bit so I used blueberries. The bits of dark chocolate throughout give it a one of a kind taste! Thank you for a lovely recipe! Would you mind if I used it on my blog sometimes – with a link to yours so everyone can see the original? I can’t wait for my daughter to try this – she loves chocolate almost as much as I do!

August 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

Oh awesome. Feel free to use it as long as you link it ;). It really is one of my favourite cakes! Let me know if you post it, but I’ll try to keep an eye on your blog anyway.

3. Aimee@clevermuffin
    August 17, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Bananas really are an awesome way to make a moist, cheap meal. This looks delicious and filling. NIce one!

4. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan
    August 18, 2011 at 12:24 am

Oh my goodness, the scent of banana bread baking is my FAVORITE smell on earth, bar none. True story. This looks so great!

August 18, 2011 at 9:24 am

It really does smell divine in the oven. Thanks!

5. thelittleloaf
    August 18, 2011 at 7:38 am

Chocolate & banana loaf is one of my all-time favourites. I always buy too many bananas precisely so I can have browning leftovers for cakes and muffins. This version looks lovely, moist and delicious.

ps have you ever tried it spread with butter? Ridiculously decadent but kind of delicious…

August 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love it, also good with cherries instead of chocolate. I have had it with butter yes, but this time I appear to have forgotten. It’s all gone now… :(

6. Meredith
    August 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Wow, you have been baking away over here! This one is so simple, but looks like my next breakfast treat. We did the apple shaped pears in buckwheat pancakes this morning, and they did not disappoint!

August 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I have indeed, doing some more tomorrow! Do try it, it is lovely. I’m sure they didn’t.

7. saphster
    August 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

I just made banana bread last night too, except I couldn’t add in any chocolate because my family isn’t too hyped on it (really, I haven’t quite figured out how we’re related ;) ). The addition of chocolate would surely have made it better, yum!

August 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That’s a shame – they’re weird. Chocolate always makes it better, it counteracts the sweetness a bit.

8. Louise
    October 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi there, what do you do with the eggs, as stated in the ingredients, as they are not mentioned in the recipe! Thanks

October 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

Ahhhh, sorry! That has been rectified. I do check my posts thoroughly as does my girlfriend but sometimes a mistake slips through the net.

9. Jacqueline - The Dusty Baker
    November 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Oh my goodness FF, my mouth is watering horribly. I’ve made banana bread a gazillion times but NEVER put dark chocolate in it… until now (or, until, soon, I should say). Mmm, mmm, mmm. And I’m quite jealous by the plum-age in your part of the world. I’m not a fan of the kind we grow here but I remember devouring them every time I stayed with a friend down in London or the Cornwall area. They’re softer and a lot darker from what I remember. Good foodie memories.

November 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Blimey, I do apologise. Give it a go, it’s fabulous. We have damn good plums here – the British climate is perfect for them.

10. Jo
    November 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Can I freeze this cake?

11. Jo
    November 20, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Ooh that IS good – too impatient to wait for it to cool so just eaten warm with lovely gooey chocolately lumps. Put two thirds of mixture in loaf tin and used the rest in some cup cake cases. Now I can freeze loaf for friends visit and get to enjoy it today as well- everybody happy!

November 20, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thanks! It;s one of my favourites. Hope everyone likes it!

12. barefoot_med_student
    March 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Oooh my. Iwill have to try adding chocolate to my banana loaf sometime!

13. applepiezucchini
    October 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hi – I’ve just made this and it was AMAZING! Made my kitchen smell awesome! I’ve posted a picture (with full credits to you) at

Thanks for a lovely recipe!

14. ellebakes
    October 25, 2012 at 2:57 am

yum, this looks incredible – bookmarked:)