Leek and Chilli Lentils

One of the most enjoyable things about being a cook is “inventing” your own dishes however simple they may be. Recently I’ve been following more and more recipes as I try new food and new cuisines; however I think it’s important to keep one’s true creative credentials. Creative flair is what separates those who are cooks from those who can cook. I’m not by any stretch of the imagination saying I have masses of imagination and skill, but I can at least promise that this dish is my own creation and that it went down a treat!

I’m also really starting to feel the effects of this healthy eating; I’ve even stopped drinking alcohol. Yesterday I managed to run nearly 3 miles, and felt I could have gone much further. It has also struck me that quite a lot of the best food out there is healthy food – it’s not just the way it tastes, it’s also the way it makes one feel. What really infuriates me is the way some people think it is easier, and cheaper, to buy oven chips and frozen pizzas, when it is much healthier and more enjoyable to make these things yourself. Perhaps people just don’t realise how unhealthy they must be because they are so used to feeling that way. I guess it’s not my place, or intention, to preach, but for the sake of food can’t we scale down the frozen aisles in supermarkets a little? After all almost everything one can pick up in a supermarket can be made by hand at home, and it should be.

On a more positive note dad just came home with a full set of cast iron Chasseur kitchen ware which he bought for £50 – saving us around £300. I can’t wait to use them, and I’m sure you’ll soon see them on my blog, they are gorgeous. Bon Appétit.

Leek and Chilli Lentils {recipe}

Serves 2-3

• 1 onion, finely chopped

• 1 leek, finely chopped

• 1 chilli, finely chopped

• 2 cloves of garlic, mashed

• 1tsp ground coriander seeds

• 400-500ml vegetable bouillon

• 150g red split lentils

• Oil

• Seasoning

• Knob of butter

1. Fry off the vegetables and coriander in a good amount of oil and butter until soft. To this add the lentils followed by the bouillon. Cook on a medium heat for around 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are soft, adding more stock if necessary. Serve with bread.

Cost: The entire pot of this delicious lentil feast will set one back around 90p. There really are many benefits to be had being a vegetarian!

29 comments on “Leek and Chilli Lentils

1. thebakerbee
    August 8, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Looks delicious!

2. Annie
    August 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I love what you said in the first half. So many people think healthy cooking is complicated and expensive, when it is actually so simple! And lets be honest, fresh made foods just taste better! I agree with you – the processed and frozen crap needs to be scaled back! Don’t even get me started on fast food (or take aways as they are called in your neck of the woods)…

I’ve been looking for a new lentil recipe so I’ll give this a whirl. I love leeks!

August 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Yay! We also call it fast food sometimes.

Do, it’s really really nice.

3. saramitchell
    August 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm

This looks awesome! I’m always looking for healthy vegetarian recipes with as few animal products as possible. I have red lentils at home that I haven’t yet tried so I’ll give this a shot!

4. Jacqueline Mary Rosette
    August 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I love lentil soup so much. It’s super healthy and is so soothing, warm, and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

5. Errign
    August 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Yum. I love chilis and this is a great spin with lentils and leeks. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a leek, to be honest.

August 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Really?! You have to try them, they are delicious.

6. yummychooeats
    August 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

great, I’m always on the look out for veggie dishes and this sounds simple and wholesome. Its quite similar to when I make dhal at home with lentils.

August 10, 2011 at 11:29 am

I find they’re always quite similar. Just need to play with different flavours. I’m going to try using split yellow peas soon! Looking forward to it.

7. Lucian
    August 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

wow! This looks delicious! I will definitely try this soon!

8. The Swedish Chef
    August 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I agree with you completely. I think a lot of people don’t realize that so many of the things they like to eat can be so much more healthy if they just make those things themselves. Understanding what’s actually in your food makes such an immediate difference.

August 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm

It really does, it;s nice to know there are absolutely no man made chemicals etc… in your food. People don’t realise that it’s not just about how many calories or how much fat is in food , other stuff is bad for you too.

9. thelittleloaf
    August 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm

This is simple, delicious and ‘fast food’ (!) at its very best. Looks creamy and gorgeous – love the addition of leeks. Reminds me of a more British version of dal!

August 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I suppose it is really. It was really really nice. Cooked it twice in two days.

10. Stacey
    August 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Wow! That looks delicious. I’m going to have to try it.

11. jj
    August 12, 2011 at 2:53 am

Looks tasty! I love how the simplest dishes can be so divine.

I am completely with you on the whole idea of making things at home. It makes me insane to hear people talk about frozen or fast food being ‘cheaper’ than real food cooked at home. It’s true that pop is cheaper than juice, but home-made iced tea or lemonade is considerably cheaper than either, and no less healthy.

The other thing people don’t seem to get is that it really does not take all that long to whip something up if you are a decent cook with a well-stocked pantry. In the time it would take to get in the car, wait in line, order, etc, I can cook a nice, tasty, simple pasta or vegetable dish.

I just don’t get it.

August 13, 2011 at 12:01 am

Glad you agree! I don’t get it either… it makes no sense!

12. Neecey
    August 13, 2011 at 8:49 am

Sounds wonderful!!! Can’t wait to tri it! :)

13. Sarah
    August 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

This looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing such healthy recipes. Your soups look especially good. I can’t wait to get back to my kitchen to try them out.

August 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thanks so much! Please do, and let me know any verdicts that may arise!

14. hellslina
    August 21, 2011 at 6:42 am

2 of my favorite foods – lentils & leeks – never thought to put them together. Very nice!

15. lifespanofanicecube
    August 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Ok, I am so totally trying this recipe! Thanks!