Freshly Picked Blackberry and Apple Crumble

Apple and Blackberry Crumble

I have been meaning for quite a while to blog a recipe which uses blackberries – we have a whole ice cream tub full left over from last year, and the blackberry season is already upon us! Blackberry and apple crumble being one of my favourite desserts I felt I couldn’t justify not doing this recipe first. Since this is a blog about frugal food and blackberries are free for almost everyone, they are everywhere after all, this seems like an ideal ingredient to use.

Everyone should really be going blackberry picking at this time of year, I can almost guarantee that just around the corner from most people’s houses, even if you live in a city, is a blackberry bush in some form. They really are ridiculously common, and there isn’t anything quite like freshly picked fruit!

I was wondering what everyone’s preference for crumble topping was? Usually we have a basic flour, sugar and butter mix – which is amazing – but this time I thought I’d try the increasingly popular oat version. It’s healthier, more filling and tastier yet it is only a smidge more expensive than what one would otherwise pay. However, there are so many more toppings to be had, so what are the preferences of my readers?

Blackberry and Apple Crumble

Serves 10-12

• Two large Bramley apples

• Several handfuls of freshly picked blackberries

• 1-2 tablespoons of golden caster sugar

For the oat topping:

• 200g plain flour

• 100g porridge or rolled oats

• 150g golden caster sugar

• 150g butter

1. To make the filling, peel and chop up the apples into slices around 1cm thick. Add these to a splash of water and the sugar in a sauce pan. Cook for a few minutes on a medium heat before adding the blackberries and cooking for a further 2 minutes.

2. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. To make the topping rub together the butter, sugar and flour until it can form a ball as pictured. Add the oats and mix together thoroughly until they look like large breadcrumbs.

3. Layer the ingredients in a large oven dish, fruit first with the crumble topping unsurprisingly on top. Do this as evenly as possible. Cook in the oven until golden, this should take 10-15 minutes.

Cost: This recipe makes a very large crumble and will cost a very reasonable £1.70. Of course if you have to buy blackberries, which I advise against, this will cost a little more – hence the advice.

59 comments on “Freshly Picked Blackberry and Apple Crumble

1. Erin
    August 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Looks delicious!! And I love your whole concept of “frugal feeding”!

August 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Thanks! I think it works fairly well 😀 It’s not actually as restricting as some may think!

2. breadfortheboys
    August 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Looks great, I usually prefer without oats but I might be tempted to try with oats again after seeing this! Interesting that you form a ball with your crumble mix first – I usually rub the fat into the flour and then stir in the sugar (but I am lazy)!

August 6, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ahha! To be honest I didn’t really think about it. My girlfriend told me off for not doing it your way too!

3. Janice
    August 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Nothing quite like a crumble!

4. jj
    August 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Love crumbles, but around here, we don’t have blackberries…which is unfortunate, as they are one of my faves, and are too expensive to justify buying at the store. Aah, well, we’ll have to settle for raspberry or rhubarb or serviceberries, instead…

I do like the oat topping best, myself.

August 7, 2011 at 10:28 am

Where do you live? I can’t go anywhere in this country without seeing them I swear! They are too expensive in shops, it’s true. Such a ridiculous shame.

5. yummychooeats
    August 7, 2011 at 12:22 am

I just picked some blackberries from my garden today, so exciting! Love cinnamon sprinkled on crumble, for an autumnal flavour. Any ideas what to do with redcurrants?

August 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

I was debating the cinnamon, but I thought I’d go purist. I’ve never ever cooked with redcurrants! I reckon redcurrant ice cream would work really nicely or perhaps a tart?

6. Out Of Our Minds To Yours
    August 7, 2011 at 12:23 am

This looks really delicious!!! Especially with vanilla ice cream. Any topping works fine for me!! But I might go with the oats just a smidge more than the regular ( well, I don’t know – It’s all good!)

August 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

I’m afraid it’s greek yoghurt, but vanilla ice cream would me amazing too! I think I like oats a bit more than the regular now.

7. recipeadaptors
    August 7, 2011 at 2:43 am

Looks great. It’s a shame blackberries don’t grow by the side of the road here in Australia like they do in the UK – makes them a bit more expensive. Perhaps I could use frozen raspberries for this instead (as they are out of season here at the moment).

August 7, 2011 at 10:25 am

Ah that’s a shame! I didn’t account for the international market! You could use mixed berries, they tend to be fairly cheap in supermarkets.

8. Annie
    August 7, 2011 at 3:04 am

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing.

I like the oat crumble best. Oats are one of those good-for-you foods. Eventually I’d like to brainstorm a way to make the crumble even healthier – with less butter and sugar maybe.

August 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

Noooooo you can’t do that! Well, I suppose you could, but the topping is the best part. Thanks 😀

9. Jacqueline Mary Rosette
    August 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

That looks overwhelmingly delicious !!

10. Just A Smidgen
    August 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

This looks delicious… I always love an oat crumble:)

11. breadfortheboys
    August 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm

UK, near London. We could collect kilos every day at the moment!

12. Alexa Marsden
    August 8, 2011 at 3:55 am

I am so going to try this (or something near-enough like it)! I never was much for baked fruits, but who can look at those pictures and resist?! O.O

August 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

It is so delicious! Please do. I don’t suppose I’m usually much of a fan of baked fruits either – but c’mon it’s a crumble!

13. onceuponarecipe
    August 8, 2011 at 6:11 am

I love blackberries! Unfortunately they are a bit difficult to come by around these parts, and even so, only when you’re willing to pay a pretty penny for them! I bet this was dynamite – there’s nothing quite so simply delicious as a fruit crumble. Yum!

August 8, 2011 at 9:55 am

Ah that’s a shame! Come to think of it, it was rather explosive…

14. countrywoodsmoke
    August 8, 2011 at 11:09 am

One of my favourite ever recipes, love blackberry season, my slight adjustment to your recipe is to add ground almonds, gives a bit of extra crunch and toasty nuttiness to the crumble
    I always remember my dads crumble fondly even though the crumble was like eating sawdust it was so dry
    great blog and lovely photos
    cheers
    marcus

August 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

My friend said to add ground almonds, but i’m also trying to make my recipes cheap and ground almonds are relatively expensive. This crumble is very crunchy though, definitely not like eating sawdust.

15. Aimee@clevermuffin
    August 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I love a crumble, to me they taste like such home food. I’ve always stuck to apple and some dried fruit, but blackberries would be wonderful addition. And great colours!

August 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’ve never made one with dried fruit. Blackberries work really really well! I think it’s because they’re so juicy.

16. Alyson
    August 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm

That looks good! I love blackberries. I plan on making blackberry jam this weekend to swirl into basil ice cream.

17. Just A Smidgen
    August 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for sharing, I love oat crumbles. Here at the lake we have tons of fresh berries.. just not for free:)

August 8, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Well, seeing as you already have them. Make a crumble!

18. Kosher Culinary and Pastry
    August 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

This looks amazing! Ive made desserts similar to this but Ive never tried it with Blackberries before. And I happen to love crumble topping with oats.

August 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Oh try it! I think it’s probably the best type of crumble, only rivaled by apple, raisin and cinnamon.

19. simmerandsip
    August 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

Looks wonderful! …I’m just waiting for blackberry season here in France!

20. tanyalh
    August 11, 2011 at 7:39 am

I had no idea how easy getting a hold of some fresh and free blackberries would be, even here in Nevada. For the crumble I prefer the flour mix, not only is it cheaper.. it’s yummier! Great post!

August 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thanks! I know, it’s so easy – they can grow everywhere.

21. bitsandbreadcrumbs
    August 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I love crumbles and crisps, and this one looks lovely! You have a very nice, and well thought out blog and I really like the apple header, did you draw it? I’m enjoying reading and will continue to pop back in, plus, I do believe in good doses of frugality in life and feel it makes one think and eat more creatively!

August 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Thanks! I got a friend who happens to be a web designer to draw it! It’s lovely isn’t it. I feel as though it;s become a way of life and definitely fuels my creativity.

22. freshsheetnutrition
    August 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Blackberries are one of my favourite things and I love that anyone can just pick them (provided they grow in your area!) Vancouver is loaded with blackberry bushes. And by substituting honey for sugar (with a bit of know how), this can be a totally local food recipe too. Eating well CAN be frugal…thanks for the great post!

August 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thankyou very much. They are just things that are simply everywhere and I think everyone ought to take advantage of free things that grow naturally. Especially if they’re this tasty!

23. domestikate
    August 11, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Ooh yum. Love blackberries, and crumble! I use an oaty recipe I got from my mum, it involves sunflower oil and butter too, and is surprisingly delicious.

August 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm

This does look awesome. Someone suggested I do apple and blackberry jam, and I just didn’t get around to it. I love the pairing!

August 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Do it, I’m thinking about making blackberry jam, gunna have so many of them!

25. cityhippyfarmgirl
    August 16, 2011 at 11:48 am

Ahh, crumble…easy way directly to my heart.

26. Jamie @ Food in Real Life
    August 17, 2011 at 2:35 am

This.looks.incredible!!!

27. kat
    August 17, 2011 at 6:22 am

That looks amazing and YUMM! I love crumbles! I think I just might have to make one tmr night! Thanks for sharing! :)