Individual Egg and Spinach Bakes

Baked Eggs

In an attempt to cover all bases I bring with me today a rather delightful and fairly frugal recipe. I’ve been trying recently, with more or less success, to break out of the lunchtime monotony which became either a bacon sandwich or Marmite and Dairylea on toast. I guess it’s testament to the deliciousness of the aforementioned “meals” that they became monotonous; nevertheless the fact remains the same – boring they became. It also struck me that indulging in these delights was possibly rather unhealthy, particularly in light of the amount of butter slathered onto each chunk of white bread. I’m not sure if this recipe is technically any healthier than the others, but it is certainly more fresh and rather less salty and processed. After all, spinach has health benefits that are numerous and varied!

I find myself with very little to say today which will, no doubt, be welcome to a few and undesirable to fewer still. However, what I will say is that one really must check the egg is cooked before serving this as it takes longer than you may think – perhaps as long as 10-15 minutes. Don’t worry about the spinach it takes a lot to overcook it in this particular recipe and will remain beautifully green and tasty.

Individual Egg and Spinach Bake Served with Parmesan Toast {recipe}

Serves 1

• Small handful of spinach

• 1 egg

• Small handful of parmesan cheese

• Seasoning

• Oil or butter – for grease the ramekin

• A modicum of tomato

• A slice of toast, I used a Mediterranean bloomer

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Squeeze a small handful of spinach into a ramekin, make a small indent in the middle. Crack the egg into this indent, don’t break the yolk like I did. Season and pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile take enough butter for your toast and mix it with the parmesan. Grill the toast without the topping to begin with. Once browned spread with the parmesan butter and pop back under the grill for a few minutes to allow the ingredients to melt together.

3. When the egg is thoroughly cooked plate up, adding two slices of tomato to the top of the toast. Enjoy!

Cost: A portion of this could be done easily for 70-90p, which I think is pretty frugal. Imagine what you’d pay for it in a café, or somewhere similar.

44 comments on “Individual Egg and Spinach Bakes

1. Katherina
    August 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I believe I shall cook this for my lunch one day soon, after i’ve got round to making the Tabbouleh, which must be made soon or my mint will go off! Cracking pictures!

August 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Thankyou Katherina. Yes make it soon and let me know how it goes! 😛

2. leahstable
    August 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

All of your pictures are so beautiful! Your recipes look delicious, too. Can’t wait to try some of them!

3. erin
    August 3, 2011 at 10:42 pm

that sounds so tasty!!

4. dottylizzy
    August 3, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by and talking on my blog!! :) I love to know who my “blog family” are! :) I’m especially thrilled to meet a blogger from our wonderful Island of the UK!! 😉

Oooh, this sounds completely delicious!! Yum! Oh, and I am totally with you on the marmmite and dairylea!! I go with vegemite, just because it’s a mite less salty and at least a pound cheaper … but still – yumtastic!

I’ve added you to my blog following, so I’ll see you around!

August 4, 2011 at 9:30 am

No problem! I know, so many bloggers are from America – it;s nice when we meet one of our own!

Marmite and dairylea is amazing right, I’ve never tried vegemite… I always got the impression it would be horrible.

5. workinglondonmummy
    August 4, 2011 at 10:22 am

nice idea. I love the parmesan toast

August 4, 2011 at 10:43 am

It was amazing, especially with the Mediterranean bread.

6. yummychooeats
    August 4, 2011 at 10:45 am

I can definetly relate to the lunchtime monotony! Im always looking for something new to create other than beans on toast! This looks healthy and really easy to make.. keep them coming!

August 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

I shall try! I’m safe from the beans on toast – I don’t like beans 😛

7. nataliadecuba
    August 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Really like the look of this…now to convert C to F to preheat my American oven!

8. The Dusty Baker
    August 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

This looks delicious! I never thought about how simple and satisfying BAKING eggs and spinach could be. Definitely going to whip this up for brunch when I next have company.

August 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I know! I only decided to do it about half an hour before I did and it worked really well. So delicious.

9. saffronstreaks
    August 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This looks so yummy and am going to try it right now..

thanx for dropping by and am glad to hop on such a fantastic blog

sukanya

August 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks very much! If you do let me know how it went!

10. ModernGirl
    August 6, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Thank you again for visiting my blog! This recipe looks absolutely AMAZING! I think frugality is so important, especially in our economy today – would you ever consider writing a guest post on my blog? I know my readers would love to have great meals at a great price! Some food for thought – thanks again! :)

August 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I totally agree, and thanks! It was delicious 😀 I’m sure I could stretch to a guest blog, you’ll have to give me a couple of weeks though, why not send me an e-mail? It is in the contact-me section.

11. Ashley - AboveRubies
    August 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I had to stop and stare at the title picture for a few minutes there! This looks delicious! I’ll definitely be making this soon!

12. bakedcottonstar
    August 10, 2011 at 9:58 am

Looks like a delicious breakfast, I’m going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

13. spicegirlfla
    August 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

This sounds absolutely delicious to me!! The tomatoes on the toast had caught my attention and then I noticed the egg and spinach dish…totally my type of food.

August 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Ah, I’m glad I put them there then :D. Totally my type of food too, was delicious.

14. Montine
    August 10, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love this idea! I wonder if this is something that can be successfully accomplished at work. Maybe I should buy some eggs and keep them here.

15. Angela Eden
    August 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

This looks very yummy–and healthy at that!

16. lambyknits01
    August 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm

This will be my next egg bake! Thanks for sharing :)

17. Stefanie
    August 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

How simple and tasty! I love the idea of Parmesan toast with the tomatoes as a side!

18. Mahayana Mum
    August 23, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Yum! I’m not sure which one of these quick and simple vegie recipes to comment on first. Thanks for ommenting on my blog and thus alerting me to yours. With two little boys on the go I don’t have time for complicated recipes and these look great. I think your photography is half the enticement so great blogging, keep it up.

August 24, 2011 at 9:57 am

Thanks so much 😀 My photography used to be pants though :P. I do have an awful lot of simple yet tasty recipes.

19. brighteyedbaker
    September 3, 2011 at 3:20 am

This looks soooo good. I try to think of creative things for lunch too. Sometimes it seems like the choices are so limited and you need something completely different. I want to eat this now!

September 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Give it a go. It is very nice. I need to start thinking of even more stuff.

20. Prerna
    October 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm

A beauty!

21. narf77
    December 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

The sign of a truly good recipe is that you find yourself mentally saying “I HAVE to make that soon!”…this is one such recipe. Combined with the simple sliced in season (well they are here in Australia! 😉 ) tomato on good toasted bread with butter (yes BUTTER people! If you are eating margarine what on EARTH are you doing here?!) you have something that could just as easily be a magnificent supper for 1 as a shared Sunday meal for 2 or a quickly knocked up soul food meal at the end of the day for a tumbled mass of friends who have been helping you Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall style in your garden…totally translatable and eminently scrumptious…that’s what makes this blog so enticing, every single recipe is a “must make that!” recipe :)

22. EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
    January 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I love it when I want something new to do with an ingredient – like spinach! You always have the answer! Have I mentioned I’m addicted to eggs? Fab, fab, fab recipe. Thanks Mr Frugal.