Forget about having pasta or rice every day, and instead make these wraps and fill them with absolutely anything. So far we’ve had my homemade hummus, as well as a vegetable fajita mix – both of which are delicious. These homemade wraps are incredibly simple to make, they just require a little patience and a rolling pin.
In fact we’ve become so enamoured with these little gems that we’ve taken to having one a day, every day. I can’t get enough, especially since the closest wrap-place in Bristol charges around £4.50 per wrap. I guess that’s not too bad considering the fact they are filled to the brim with wonderful ingredients. Then again, these wraps cost around 50p for 8 and can be filled for next to nothing. Which is a lot less than those you buy in supermarkets which firstly, can cost as much as £1.75 for 8; and secondly, don’t taste as nice.
• 500g plain flour, plus extra for dusting and rolling
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 270-300 ml hot water
1. Mix together, in a bowl, the flour, salt and baking powder. Then rub in the butter with your hands until the flour roughly resembles polenta. Add the water until you have formed a fairly sticky dough.
2. Place this sticky dough on a very well-floured surface. Knead in extra flour until you have soft, but dry dough. Continue to knead for up to 10 minutes, or until you have made a smooth ball of dough.
3. Separate this larger ball into 8 smaller balls of dough. Roll them with a rolling pin until thin and circular.
4. Heat up a large frying pan until very hot. Dry fry each wrap in turn for no more than 2 minutes on each side. Do not let the middle go even slightly crispy, because they will not wrap if you do.
Cost: Like I said above, these should cost no more than around 50p for all 8. Bon Appetit!
Connect with me, share my recipes:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
Reader Rating: 0 Votes