Hummus Recipe (1)

By far and away my favourite food to eat, for lunch at least, is hummus. It is such a versatile food which can be used both as a filling or as a dip, and flavoured with no end of different spices and herbs. This hummus recipe may contain rather a lot of olive oil, but it’s still a great healthy snack and a fantastic way of taking on protein.

A food processor is required to easily make hummus, but beyond that it is ridiculously simple and worth-while making. This particular batch of chickpea goodness will be flavoured with cumin, chilli and a small amount of coriander. However, you can include whatever ingredients you like, or, indeed, none at all. In addition to this, one can make a large batch of hummus in around 5 minutes, this will last in the fridge for 3-5 days.

Serves 3-4

• 1 tin of chickpeas, 410g
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 5 tbsp olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • salt and pepper
  • 1tsp cumin (optional)
  • 2 fresh chillies (optional)
  • small handful of coriander (optional)
  1. Simply blend together all of the ingredients, taking care not to utterly destroy the texture of the chickpeas. One may add a little more oil if the hummus is not quite the right texture.

Hummus Recipe (3) Hummus Recipe (2)

Cost: This large bowl of hummus which is probably enough to feed 3-4 people will cost around £1.30 to make. This can be drastically reduced if you make “plain ol’ hummus” and remove the optional extras.

21 comments on “Hummus

1. katshealthcorner
    April 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I LOVE HUMMUS!!! 😀 I just made some this afternoon!!! 😀 YUM!

I love your blog! 😀

April 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thank-you very much! Yours looks rather enticing too!

2. Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide
    April 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Great post. I can’t understand why people buy hummus when it’s so cheap to make and tastes better homemade.

April 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’m afraid I’m usually forced to due to my lack of blender when I go back to university. But if you have one, then it’s stupid to buy it pre-made.

• Rex
        April 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I make a lot of houmous myself. I use a “stick blender” to get the job done. It’s small, inexpensive, easy to clean up.

Give it a look at Amazon. Search for “stick blender”.

3. Janice
    April 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I have to say it’s a long time since I made houmous. I think it is even better if you soak and cook your own chickpeas.. Still it yours looks nice and fresh.

4. The Conscious Traveler
    April 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I’ve got everything on hand except for a lemon… guess my lonely lime in the bottom of my fridge’s produce drawer will have to do! Thanks for this!

April 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m sure it’ll do an admirable job, it’s really just to cut through the other flavours.

5. Alice Ennals Sumner
    December 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Chickpeas and other beans are brilliant for the health of your bowel and colon.

Flatulence when eating high-fibre foods can be a sign that you’re low on enzymes in your gut. Eating hummus with raw vegetables will help (because the enzymes in raw vegetables have not been denatured by cooking), especially if you dress them with cider vinegar or lemon juice.

December 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Haha, Alice! I do like to learn something every day, particularly when it has something to do with flatulence!

December 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Aw, back when you had less than a dozen “likes” :) This is great, but hummus doesn’t affect my bowels…. 😉

7. narf77
    December 15, 2012 at 2:38 am

Hummus…just what we need now that summer is really starting to kick in here in Tasmania. Cheers for reminding me that hummus can be a staple food much like bread, wine and cheese…I gave up the bread, the wine and the cheese but hummus is still in my repertoire 😉

December 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Haha! Yes, the perfect mezze perhaps… You gave up the wine?! You gave up the wine?! 😉

• narf77
        December 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Not me…”I” didn’t give up the wine…my traitorous stomach did :(

8. lizziegrigio
    January 2, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for this post! Here in the US, we add tahini- a sesame seed paste. I currently can’t eat anything with sesame in it, and was missing hummus. Now I don’t have to!!!!

January 6, 2013 at 9:16 pm

We usually do here too, but I don’t find that it’s necessary.