Chocolate Brownies

Chocolate Brownies

These have been described as the world’s best Chocolate Brownies by, seemingly, everyone who has ever eaten them. I must, however, admit that I have alighted this recipe from somewhere else and feel obliged to attribute it to a certain Mrs. Dimbleby, an ex-Sunday Telegraph food writer of fifteen years. Dense, gooey and with a crisp outer shell, these chocolate brownies are more or less literally to-die-for. Just make sure you lick the bowl – you may regret not doing so for some years.

The batch used in this recipe is a double batch so will make a massive heap of chocolate brownies, which is no bad thing. However, if you don’t need 32 brownies you could easily make half. I would recommend using the darkest chocolate you can, it will give more depth of flavour; anything above 70% will do. In all these delicious, gooey chocolate brownies will take an hour to prepare and bake.

Chocolate Brownies

Makes 32

• 200g butter
  • 80g cocoa powder, as dark as you can get it
  • 100g dark chocolate, 70% or above
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 1 tsp salt, level
  • 450g light muscovado sugar
  • 100g self raising flour
  • 100g pecan nuts, roughly chopped (optional)

1. Melt the butter gently in a pan on the stove, to this whisk in the cocoa powder. Once added combine this with the chocolate in small chunks until it has all melted together. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
  2. In a mixing bowl, while the chocolate is melting, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt, using a hand mixer. This will take a number of minutes and should appear frothy.
  3. To the egg mixture whisk in the melted chocolate and butter until uniform. Sieve in the flour and gently fold it in. Pour this into a baking tin lined with greased baking parchment.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes and not a moment longer, they need to have a hard shell on the outside and be very gooey on the inside. Leave the brownies to cool briefly, turn them out and cut into 32 individual pieces. They probably won’t need to be any larger than this.

Cost: This particular batch cost £2.70 to make, if you exclude the fact my eggs were free. However it is a double batch, so a normal sized, frugal batch of half the above ingredients will obviously cost half to make – rather more thrifty. Considering a single brownie from a supermarket can cost as much as 80p I’d say this was a pretty fantastic bargain.

24 comments on “Chocolate Brownies

1. Corina
    April 8, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I love that first picture and the way the light falls on them. How could brownies not look good? But these looks amazing

April 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Yeh I’m pretty pleased with my new camera! Need a DSLR now though.

2. Nise en Scène
    August 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Definitely worth a try, this one!

August 27, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Yes they are! Please do, and if you do let me know how they went.

3. thefooddoctor
    September 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm

They look like amazing brownies..my daughter is crazy for brownies and I am always looking for a great recipe

September 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

They are truly delicious. I really need to make some more. They are so thick and rich and decadent.

4. Sanyah
    November 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Can you use golden caster sugar for them? as i am out and i have been to the shop and they have noo brown, demerara orr muscavado? x

5. narf77
    November 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Your camera certainly lends a new delicious aroma to your recipes…these brownies must be good judging by the plethora of brownie recipes that greet me in my rss feed reader today! Looks like our final day of Landscape designing before we hand our work in to be marked might be topped off with a brownie ceremony. No teenaged kids here…just 2 adults and 2 begging dogs who won’t get a crumb ;)

November 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks! Yes, it definitely helps a lot. The dogs definitely don’t deserve them… besides… they’d probably kill the dogs…

• narf77
        November 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Nothing would kill our dogs…they are American Staffies and eat postmen for breakfast and spit out the metal badges ;)

November 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

But that’s kinda like saying arsenic wouldn’t kill… Chuck Norris – when in fact it would… :D

• narf77
            November 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Yeh…our boys get white chocolate (no theobromine in it) as an occasional treat but I am amazed at what goes through Earl’s digestive tract and doesn’t kill him. I think he has battery acid in his stomach. Chuck Norris is invincible…didn’t you know? ;)

November 17, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Is there none at all?! I did not know that! Chuck Norris does have a fist in his chin actually…

6. petit4chocolatier
    November 14, 2012 at 1:54 am

I am loving the brownie!

7. Sarah
    November 14, 2012 at 1:58 am

Yes, good brownies definitely need to have the crisp top and gooey interior. You have made a friend here with that assertion. May I ask what is Stork; how does it differ from butter?

November 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Exactly! Oh, it’s just a baking thing in Britain, it’s less fatty… just use butter.

8. Shakthi Abirami M M
    November 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

thanks for the freeze-muffin tip! “ll thaw one tomo nd see.
    this is on the agenda for tomorrow!!! ‘m so excited!!! i am so bad at baking that my oven is going to scream any minute but these look so delicious, I just HAVE to try!